How hard would it be for one on our vendors to make and sell a batch of 7.62 pistols?

I think anything "made" would be a SBR without a stock. In order to be a pistol the receiver can never have had a stock on it and I don't think any of those can be imported.

Probably about as hard as it was to make an S-12 AOW. The major problem being we don't have any "virgin" Saiga receivers in the US (as far as I know), so you would have to demil the receiver and then weld it back together or just manufacture a new receiver. If your interested in building a semi-auto pistol in 308 I have built a few, I can give you info to build on the HK platform or the FAL platform, I would suggest going with the FAL platform although the builds I did on the HK platform (Yes like the old Vectors) were much much cheaper. I'm still in the process of the FAL build, by process I mean it's been on the back burner for about 6 months...LOL!

Why is there a market for AK pistols anyway? I mean the only time someone should buy one is to SBR it at a later date. AK pistols are pure fail.

Because if I want to carry anything bigger than a handgun loaded in a vehicle it must be a pistol. Granted, they are not the ideal gun in many ways but as long as they have a few practical purposes and they are a "fun gun", which they are, I wouldn't call them a pure fail.

Provided you already have a kit with the correct gas system for the barrel length, no more difficult than building any other AKM. If you're shortening a rifle kit to make a pistol, major pain in the ass.

Why is there a market for AK pistols anyway? I mean the only time someone should buy one is to SBR it at a later date. AK pistols are pure fail.

:booo: :booo: :booo: :booo:

I've heard this time and time again, honestly (I'm not busting on you Bigsal...just saying) it's usually coming from the guy who has trouble handling the recoil, or doesn't know the proper techniques to stabilize the weapon platform. I would GLADLY take an AK-47 pistol any day of the week over a stocked rifle for anything close quarters. As far as the whole SBR thing goes, there are tons of us that don't have that option due to state laws.....Work with what you have in other words. :super:

If you throw a red dot on the AK pistol follow up shots are a breeze, anything under 15 yards is pretty much point shooting....I guess my question is how could you NOT own one of these?!?!?

Oh yea, these things are quite capable of longer distance shots (yet another "myth" I'd like to dispel), the old "well I'd only use it for 50yds are under anyways" is just basically stating you need more practice at longer ranges. The 7.62x39 round out of a pistol still has as much ass as an AK that has been SBRed with the same barrel length, for the record.

Boba Debt-PM headed your way.

Edited by YARP

Because if I want to carry anything bigger than a handgun loaded in a vehicle it must be a pistol. Granted, they are not the ideal gun in many ways but as long as they have a few practical purposes and they are a "fun gun", which they are, I wouldn't call them a pure fail.

I would. They are difficult to stablize and in a world of cheap sider folders there is no reason to have an ak pistol. They are filled with fail

I've heard this time and time again, honestly (I'm not busting on you Bigsal...just saying) it's usually coming from the guy who has trouble handling the recoil, or doesn't know the proper techniques to stabilize the weapon platform. I would GLADLY take an AK-47 pistol any day of the week over a stocked rifle for anything close quarters. As far as the whole SBR thing goes, there are tons of us that don't have that option due to state laws.....Work with what you have in other words. :super:

If you throw a red dot on the AK pistol follow up shots are a breeze, anything under 15 yards is pretty much point shooting....I guess my question is how could you NOT own one of these?!?!?

Stabalization is key for shot number two, number three, number four and so on. If you think you can stabalize the weapon as good as you could with a stock than you are fooling yourself. In a world of cheap side-folders there is no reason to own one of these. For QCB, you really have no idea what your talking about, so Im gonna let you do more homework before I comment further on your post.

Edited by bigsal

I would. They are difficult to stablize and in a world of cheap sider folders there is no reason to have an ak pistol. They are filled with fail

Stabalization is key for shot number two, number three, number four and so on. If you think you can stabalize the weapon as good as you could with a stock than you are fooling yourself. In a world of cheap side-folders there is no reason to own one of these. For QCB, you really have no idea what your talking about, so Im gonna let you do more homework before I comment further on your post.

LOL! OH HO HO AH HA HA. Like I said these comments usually come from guys that have trouble handling the recoil, you obviously must if you can't put two rapid shots from a Draco in to the black from CQB distances. Again the muzzle flash is going to be the same out of a 10" pistol barrel as it is out of 10" SBR so don't give me that whole "ruin the sight picture talk". I'm not the smallest dude (no I'm not fat) in the world, I find the Draco incredibly easy to manipulate in small spaces (AKA CQB). As far as not knowing what I'm talking about CQB wise, guess what bitch? I'm still here and kickin so I guess I kinda "have an idea what I'm talking about". It seems to me you don't really know what your talking about when it comes to stabilization of this weapon platform, the only thing I will say is yes, if shooting fully automatic it would be hard to control, but I don't have that option, my machine gun switch is moving my finger faster. As far as stabilizing as well as something with a stock I think its pretty obvious that is not possible. That fourth point of contact is nice, but again some of us have figured out that you don't always need that....It takes practice Big Sal and then after your done with that you just go out and practice some more.....Someday you won't be so ornery and stuck in your ways, in short open your mind a little bit more, were not asking you to take it in the ass.

Oh Yeah and for the record since you obviously didn't catch it the first time I'M NOT ALLOWED TO OWN AN SBR IN MY STATE, so stop making the "side folders are so cheap there is no reason to not own one" comment. Again open your mind.

Cue the dick-measuring contest.

3 inches........from the ground

For the record this is one of those topics that irritates the hell out of me, it's like someone telling you it's impossible to slam dunk (for the record I can't) when you just did it the day before, and the day before that and the day.....you get the idea

Edited by YARP

To answer the posters question, the easy way would be to demil the Saiga and rebuild on a NoDak Spud pistol receiver (marked and transfered as a pistol). With cheap Draco's I don't see any reason to go through the b.s.. As far as a pistol go's, I'd take a 5.45 over a 7.62 for control issues if you have no plan to sbr. I'm not buying the shorter barrel= quicker follow up. I've shot a Draco and they're no where near as bad on follow up as the 7" I built. Mine puts out a hell of a flame thoughexciting.gif <BR><BR>Also, anything under 8" and you need to do some additional work to keep the piston from tilting up and locking against the entry to the tube as the carrier and piston completely exit past the rear sight block. (I welded a extension on the bottom rung of the rear sight block so it hides nice and neat under the cover).

post-1866-12708663253627_thumb.jpg

post-1866-12708665367322_thumb.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm

<snip> and rebuild on a NoDak Spud pistol receiver (marked and transfered as a pistol).

This is not legally required under federal (and Texas) law.

By federal law, any virgin receiver can be built into a rifle or pistol and no special "pistol" markings are required.

<snip> and rebuild on a NoDak Spud pistol receiver (marked and transfered as a pistol).

By federal law, any virgin receiver can be built into a rifle or pistol and no special "pistol" markings are required.

What nalioth stated is absolutely true, but. . . (and I could be mistaken on this point), unless you construct the entire firearm completely from scratch, said virgin receiver made by a legit firearms manufacturer will need to be registered accordingly. In other words (and I know this from personal experience), if you decide to construct a handgun from that virgin receiver, you will need to register it as such with your local law enforcement agency.

I'm presently having a Savage Arms dual-port target action .308, that left the Savage factory undesignated, made into a specialty pistol. Upon receipt of the undesignated action, I had to register its serial number through my FFL as a handgun.

Edited by Gary

Someday you won't be so ornery and stuck in your ways, in short open your mind a little bit more, were not asking you to take it in the ass.

Blah Blah Blah...Again open your mind.

I just prefer optimal rifes.

In a state where SBR is not an option, I woul still not recomend a AK pistol, but hey what do I know...

Good luck.

What nalioth stated is absolutely true, but. . . (and I could be mistaken on this point), unless you construct the entire firearm completely from scratch, said virgin receiver made by a legit firearms manufacturer will need to be registered accordingly. In other words (and I know this from personal experience), if you decide to construct a handgun from that virgin receiver, you will need to register it as such with your local law enforcement agency.

Not in Texas, nor by federal law, you won't. Please keep in mind your audience, and that not all of them share your residence (and the laws that go with it).

I'm presently having a Savage Arms dual-port target action .308, that left the Savage factory undesignated, made into a specialty pistol and its registered as a handgun.

So we'll be seeing pix of this, right?

I think I just found the pistol I'm looking for:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=164027746

It's pricey but I'm going to give them a call to discuss the price

The coolest part is they modifed the same UTG rail I have used on my S-410, S-12 and plan to use on my S-762

AKP040L.jpg

Edited by Boba Debt

AK pistols ROCK anyone who tells you otherwise has never shot one. Its already been proven the 7.62 doesnt suffer much from shorter barrels. The 7.62 suppresses well, the recoil on them is hardly anything definitly less than a large caliber handgun. The shortened profile and extra weight dropped from a side or under folder makes them handle well, plus most UF or SF still have a 16in barrel. I definitly would not want to be down range of someone shooting an AK pistol at me lol. I have yet to meet anyone who talked crap about them shoot mine and not hand it back without a huge grin retracting previous statements :haha:

that strap makes an aow......

i swear to god it does...

wrong. It isn't a foregrip or vert grip. It is a strap, sling, lanyard, etc. Legal.

That being said, buy the damn thing and pay the $5 AOW stamp and slap a grip on that puppy. Have fun. You only live once.

You cant just pay the $5 transfer for an AOW it would require the $200 tax stamp since you are creating a AOW. The sling does not make it a AOW the addition of a grip would, which is why most people if they are going to go that far just pay to make it a SBR and your covered both ways.