Anyone carry the legendary Luger?

I understand it's among the most naturally accurate pistols out there without aiming, as it lines up with the hand so well.

I am thinking of getting one for carry.

How dependable do members here find them?

How do they feed hollowpoints & +p loads?

Accuracy compared to the G-17?

Any thoughts are welcome.

pic6.jpg

03-luger-pistol-cross-section.jpg

P08ani16.jpg

02-luger-pistol-and-magazine.jpg

Edited by Paulyski

Hmmm.. never thought of it for carry, but you are spot on about pointability. But are they finicky given the unorthodox action and thus unsuitable for a CCW? I am not sure. I myself like the more esoteric so I carry a Mauser C96 M1916. :rolleyes:

post-18302-12715660420338_thumb.jpg

Edited by 690gr

From my experience they are considered an expensive antique. Not the most concealable firearms either. They can be picky with regards to ammo. Military guns were not designed with +P or hollow points in mind. Good luck with replacement parts too. Find something else. You'll thank yourself down the road.

Yeah, the action does raise the eyebrows for reliability.

Still want to get one, if no other reason than to have one, but yeah, replacement parts would be a bitch...

That being said, one of my favorite carry pieces, the P-64 (a clone of the Luger's replacment the Walther PPK) has no parts available either. That's why you NEVER shoot Wolf out of a P-64.

1Lsidep-64-1.jpg

Edited by Paulyski

While the Luger has the most comfortable grip I've ever held and indeed it points as naturally as taking a piss.

It has the infamous reputation of being just as unreliable, failure to feed, fire & eject... Jam-o-matic extraordinaire.

Remember the scene in 'Schindler's List', where the SS officer tries a dozen times to execute the old man, and his Luger repeatedly misfires?

That ain't no rare occurrence.

Great collectors/conversation piece.

Edited by ChileRelleno

i have a luger,chambered in .22 cal. it is made by luger, but i guess for civilian market, anyone know what its worth?? btw shoots great, got it from my grandfather who traded a british 303 for it

Edited by BROWNEYE

Paulyski,

I don't carry mine concealed (kind of heavy and I haven't found a rig I find comfortable enough), but I do shoot the shit out of it. It's an S-42 Mauser made in 1937 for the army with all matching numbers (serials, Waffenstamps and other Heer markings). It eats 9mm ball perfectly, but I've never been brave enough for +P. So while I can't verify the reliability claims given so far (this is the only P-08 I've shot) -- I also can't agree with the accuracy assessments. I was approached in broad daylight by a skunk acting slow and stupid (must have been sick or something) and the only weapon I had handy was the Luger. I emptied a magazine at 15 feet and only hit the damn thing twice. Lucky for me two did the trick, but I have trouble getting it to hit the same place twice. I'm considered a pretty fair shot with other handguns and the sight of a ravenous, charging skunk bearing down on me with blood in his eyes may have something to do with it. :rolleyes: That being said, it does feel amazing in your hand.

Regards,

Sapper

20438_103782576308477_100000302059157_106123_5640788_n.jpg

20438_103782579641810_100000302059157_106124_4199132_n.jpg

I had a P-08 made in 1912 and it shot accurately and without issue. It was, as has been mentioned, an expensive antique but it shot very well with no reliability issues until 500 rounds into it the firing pin broke. Not a problem to replace but it diminished the value greatly because the parts were no longer totally matching serial numbers. Since I don't own anything that I don't shoot and had no desire to screw up a piece of history any further, I sold it. Wish I still had it as it really was a fine piece of weaponry. Never considered it for conceal carry.

Edited by 1911

I'd personally be afraid of the Luger pistol's toggle joint getting caught in my Kaiser Willhelm moustache or knocking out my monocle if I ever had to rely on it for self-defense. :lol:

Edited by Gaddis

Hmmm.. never thought of it for carry, but you are spot on about pointability. But are they finicky given the unorthodox action and thus unsuitable for a CCW? I am not sure. I myself like the more esoteric so I carry a Mauser C96 M1916. :rolleyes:

Aaawwwww, bad ass! But Mr. Klink wants to know where the Mauser broomhandle is?

post-24101-1271650434453_thumb.jpg

Edited by hawk-ics

I'd personally be afraid of the Luger pistol's toggle joint getting caught in my Kaiser Willhelm moustache or knocking out my monocle if I ever had to rely on it for self-defense. :lol:

That was good, still laughing 5 minutes later. Hehe..

That was funny, but if the luger were dependable, the toggle joint would be much less painful than the slide bite from a respectably powered small CCW piece when using a 2 handed grip for the first time.

In my waistband, Chinese Warlord style circa 1929.

I was making a joke earlier about the esoteric choice of a P08 for a CCW. I have many other firearms to acquire before I plunk down $4500 to $9500 for a C96.

In my waistband, Chinese Warlord style circa 1929.

I was making a joke earlier about the esoteric choice of a P08 for a CCW. I have many other firearms to acquire before I plunk down $4500 to $9500 for a C96.

I used to have a friend (a not so bright friend mind you) that used to CCW a tec-9 with the 30 rounder that way.

Stranger things have happened

I have a stainless steel Mitchel Arms Luger with walnut grips. Lugers are SO fucking cool. I had to send it back to the factory because of feeding problems. The Luger is one of the best ergonomic pistols ever made. An extension of you really. I'd get a Glock 9mm and use the Luger for a conversation piece.