I was hoping I can ask those who are much wiser than me when it comes to the AK platform a few questions about bump firing, I want to know if it will hurt the gun in anyway? like will it lead to throat erosion if done excessively?

I kind of keep thinking that it has to be hard on the rear trunnion or something but I could be wrong.

Its about the same as shooting it normally. Just remember that firing with the bolt partially open can be very bad, be sure your bolt closes freely.

Obviously you can get the barrel very hot doing dumb stuff like the video below. I think we had shot like four of the 60 round mags out of the Wasr before this video so it was already smoking.

Just for a little reference, I've seen guys take a brand new Jeep into a swamp and beat it until it was broken. A saiga rifle costs 300.00 or so, its not like wearing one out having fun is a HUGE deal. Odds are you will have 10 times the cost of the gun in ammo before you see any real problems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcnwGpLZnL0

The AK was built to be a full auto rifle. How can it break bumpfiring?

Well, these aren't AKs. :haha: However, I agree, the only harm that bump firing will do is to your wallet.

DItto that! Bump-fire remains the single best method of converting money into noise.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

About the throat erosion-

Saiga rifles have civilian barrels, which is why they leave the step in the casing. Not sure if that matters.

My most used one (i think about 7k rounds?) is showing like 1cm of throat erosion where the rifling starts from the chamber. I never bump fired it, but I do tend to put like 10 mags through it almost back to back.

Edited by Agent Lemon

Firing out of battery is the only danger, and really doesnt seem that dangerous at all. Out of all the guys on this forum and a couple others that I am on, alot of them have and do bumpfire their rifles. I have heard no reports of this happening in the last couple years (since ive had internet).

When I got my saiga, I looked at the trigger group. I thought, wow maybe this could be ..... ......... if I took the disconnect out, it was worth a try, just to see. Well, it didnt work, as the hammer didnt have the umph to really hit the firing pin hard enough. So it seems to me that firing out of battery is not as easy as some say.

So it seems to me that firing out of battery is not as easy as some say.

Particularly on an AK, the little tail on the back of the bolt carrier is there to keep the hammer from hitting the firing pin until the bolt lugs are in a safe position.

so what exactly do you guys mean by stepped chamber

?

This:

stepped.jpg

It makes a swollen band on the casing when fired. It's to ID the case as having been fired from a civilian rifle.

steppedcase.jpg

As stated, not all Saigas have these.

Edited by Corbin
  • Like 1

About the throat erosion-

Saiga rifles have civilian barrels, which is why they leave the step in the casing. Not sure if that matters.

My most used one (i think about 7k rounds?) is showing like 1cm of throat erosion where the rifling starts from the chamber. I never bump fired it, but I do tend to put like 10 mags through it almost back to back.

1cm or 1mm? 1cm seems like a lot...

Not all saigas have a stepped chamber.

My 2003 .223 does not.

1. squad support auto rifles fire from open bolt. If the AK47 or AR15 do not have an open bolt - they are at risk for cook offs.

2. The AR15 was only meant for 12 - 18 rounds per minute sustained fire. The newer ARs will fail at the gas tube and be single shot.

sustained rate of fire is about 20 rounds per minute, intense rate of fire is 30 to 40 rounds per minute.

" The AK-47 has a full-auto cyclical rate-of-fire of 600 rpm, a practical rate-of-fire in full-auto of 100 rpm, and a practical rate-of-fire in semi-auto of 40 rpm.[112]

The M16 has a full-auto cyclical rate-of-fire of 700–950 rpm,[13] a practical rate-of-fire in full-auto of 150 rpm, and a practical rate-of-fire in semi-auto of 45 rpm.[113]

Both the AK-47 and the M16 will overheat fairly quickly under normal combat conditions and have a sustained rate of fire as low as 12 to 15 rounds per minute (about the same as a bolt-action rifle).[115][116][117

the reality is you have a rifle, not a squad automatic weapon nor even a Infantry Auto Rifle. Treat it like a rifle and it will be accurate and last a long time.

DNR