Budget Red Dot Optics Recommendations?

I have a Saiga 7.62x39 and 223. Was thinking of a quick disconnect type mount where I could move a red dot between the two (yes I am a cheap b*&$ard :)). On the topic of the red dot, any suggestions for a decent budget unit? I'm not looking for China T1 clone. I've read some of the Bushnell Trophy models are decent in the $150 price range. Any others?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look into Vortex Optics. They have two RDS, the strikefire and the sparc. Both are reasonably priced and offer a lifetime warranty.

I've ordered a Vortex Strikefire. Has gotten good reviews. Good warranty. Decent price for the features. So we'll see. Thanks for the comments everyone.

Posted Images

People like to get things right away including myself, but i finally saved up enough money a little while back and bought an eotech. I recommend saving up money and getting a real nice optic like an eotech, aimpoint, trijicon etc. In the long run you will be better off. Also the resale value will be better with the higher shelf items if you decide to go another route later on. I've heard great things about the vortex though and if i wasnt going to save thats what i would of got. just my 2cents

I got a Bushnell Trophy RD for $66 from opticsplanet.. Search there they have most models there.

They are CHEAP. They also have the UTG 978 quick detach mount for $35. Includes FREE shipping from there also for almost everything.

Hope this helps.

Albert

Lucid HD7 is looking pretty strong...

so regarding attachment, if a unit attaches to a weaver rail, all I need is to buy one of the rail bracket thingies that attaches to the Saiga side rail, right? then just attach the optic unit to the rail. Some of the optics units require rings. From what I can tell, the HD7 does not.

You can also look into the Lucid HD7. It has been getting some pretty good reviews on several forums. I believe the company also offers a lifetime warranty.

That looks like some pretty interesting gear. I really like how the elevation and windage knobs are readily adjustable without having to remove the cover and then use a coin/screwdriver/fingernail, etc. The only reservation I have is the height. Might be a good candidate to mate up with the TWS dogleg rail though.

Regardless, thanks for mentioning this!

Check out Primary Arms at www.primaryarms.com. They are great guys to deal with, fast shipping and they have some very good, resonably priced stand alone red dots or red dot combos for different weapons. I have their Gen 1 micro dot and Ultimak rail on a Romy AK and I am waiting on my Saiga to arrive so I can order another Ultimak/Micro dot combo from them.

I bought a Strikefire for my S-12 with the AR BUIS.

SOPMOD did a great write up on it a while back, vortex can accredit him to being a good advertisement for them. I doubt I would have looked twice at them if it were not for that.

I have a Saiga 7.62x39 and 223. Was thinking of a quick disconnect type mount where I could move a red dot between the two (yes I am a cheap b*&$ard :)). On the topic of the red dot, any suggestions for a decent budget unit? I'm not looking for China T1 clone. I've read some of the Bushnell Trophy models are decent in the $150 price range. Any others?

I have a bushnell trophy on mine. I love it!

Careful on how cheap you go if your AK is a "battle weapon". I took a High Risk Operators course last winter in Prescott, AZ. It rained and snowed on us. There were a few different optics on AK's. The cheaper ones didn't make it. One of the Burris red dots had its glass crack, and both Aimpoint Micro knockoffs got moisture in them and stopped working. There were a few genuine Aimpoint Micros, and none of them had any issues. I used a Russian designed PK-AS red dot and it had zero problems as well. The Aimpoints aren't cheap, but the PK-AS is reasonably priced. I bought mine for around $340 with shipping from Belarus. It's only drawback is weight. it sits on the side rail and holds zero when taken off. It has a bullet drop dial, and I was able to get it set up so that I could switch it between my SGL-31 and SGL-21 with a turn of the dial. I was able to save up some bones for an Aimpoint, and am selling my PK-AS for a little more than the cheapo red dots go for.

• 2 weeks later...

been looking at this one (red dot/laser combo)

Sightmark Laser Dual Shot Reflex Sight

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with it?

Please do not purchase that. It is a particular type of design used by chinese red dots and they are worthless. It WILL NOT HOLD zero for a significant time period.

If you buy that, you're just adding $75 dollars to the cost of an aimpoint or Eotech.

been looking at this one (red dot/laser combo)

Sightmark Laser Dual Shot Reflex Sight

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with it?

Please do not purchase that. It is a particular type of design used by chinese red dots and they are worthless. It WILL NOT HOLD zero for a significant time period.

If you buy that, you're just adding $75 dollars to the cost of an aimpoint or Eotech.

Looked at the reviews and they seem to agree with you...I"ll look into the ones you mentioned. Thanks for the heads up.

after a quick search.....Is there a sub $200 (closer to $150?) red dot that won't fall apart? $400+ (600+ fpr aimpoints) for a rifle that cost around $350 seems like quite an investment. Is it the norm to buy such high-end sights for a low-end rifle (cost-wise).

Edited by Phoenix7.62

Careful on how cheap you go if your AK is a "battle weapon". I took a High Risk Operators course last winter in Prescott, AZ. It rained and snowed on us. There were a few different optics on AK's. The cheaper ones didn't make it. One of the Burris red dots had its glass crack, and both Aimpoint Micro knockoffs got moisture in them and stopped working. There were a few genuine Aimpoint Micros, and none of them had any issues. I used a Russian designed PK-AS red dot and it had zero problems as well. The Aimpoints aren't cheap, but the PK-AS is reasonably priced. I bought mine for around $340 with shipping from Belarus. It's only drawback is weight. it sits on the side rail and holds zero when taken off. It has a bullet drop dial, and I was able to get it set up so that I could switch it between my SGL-31 and SGL-21 with a turn of the dial. I was able to save up some bones for an Aimpoint, and am selling my PK-AS for a little more than the cheapo red dots go for.

I'm wondering which to buy based on this very issue... I tend to run my rifle in any and ALL conditions. Right now I have an EOTech on a UTG quad rail, but I'm pretty much set on an Ultimak because I'm not using any but the top rail. I'm totally sold on the "scout" mount configuration, but not on the bulky EOTech... That's probably going to go on my new shotty, assuming I can find a reasonable "micro" sight.

That said, I can't really justify spending big bucks for a new red dot when I've got a perfectly functional and reliable "top shelf" sight now. I've also heard bad things about sustained fire and Ultimaks heating up and frying EOTech's. The hubby was a Marine, and drilled into me that "anything worth killing is worth killing twice", or "ammo is cheap compared to your life". Needless to say, I put a lot of lead down range pretty quick like... My barrell and gas tube get HOT!

Is there an all weather, reliable, decently priced alternative? It has GOT to be truly all weather, compact, and hold zero... Otherwise the switch wouldn't even be worth it.

I have been keeping an eye on this thread, as I am interested in a red dot also. I have the BP-02 mount and am interested in a rail mount red dot. Has anyone tried one of the Nayvis 34 Red Dot from kalinka? I have looked for some reviews online and the few I have found were favorable. Some called it a "lightweight kobra" What are some other rail mount red dots I should be willing to consider?

I have been keeping an eye on this thread, as I am interested in a red dot also. I have the BP-02 mount and am interested in a rail mount red dot. Has anyone tried one of the Nayvis 34 Red Dot from kalinka? I have looked for some reviews online and the few I have found were favorable. Some called it a "lightweight kobra" What are some other rail mount red dots I should be willing to consider?

I'm watching as well now. I just bought a BP-02 side mount.

Previously, I was running a Bushnell TRS-25 on an Ultimak rail. Absolutely loved the combo as I do tons and tons of rapid fire, I melted my rail cover off and the TRS-25 was fine. Last range trip we put probably 400 rounds through the gun in an hour/hour and a half, smoking hot, my brother couldn't even hold the gun anymore it was so hot (I wear gloves when I shoot this one) and the Bushnell has done great.

Unfortunately I'm shooting corrosive now, and have to remove the tube to clean the gas block, so Ultimak is a no-go. I am hoping the TRS-25 is good mounted rearwards, but I am afraid it might be too small of a screen to have that far back. If so I'm looking at a Burris Fastfire II as I can't seem to find anything else under $200-250 that looks as good. Hopefully there is, as I'd like something low enough to co-witness as well.

Good choice. What type did you get? I found an original style on GB for cheap about 6 months ago. It is one of the camo ones. I dont know if I will paint it or the red dot.

I am hoping the TRS-25 is good mounted rearwards, but I am afraid it might be too small of a screen to have that far back. If so I'm looking at a Burris Fastfire II as I can't seem to find anything else under $200-250 that looks as good. Hopefully there is, as I'd like something low enough to co-witness as well.

Is the screen on the TRS a 30mm? I am considering the Nayvis since I am not a heavy shooter, but a few times a month lately. It looks to have a large enough screen.

Good choice. What type did you get? I found an original style on GB for cheap about 6 months ago. It is one of the camo ones. I dont know if I will paint it or the red dot.

I am hoping the TRS-25 is good mounted rearwards, but I am afraid it might be too small of a screen to have that far back. If so I'm looking at a Burris Fastfire II as I can't seem to find anything else under $200-250 that looks as good. Hopefully there is, as I'd like something low enough to co-witness as well.

Is the screen on the TRS a 30mm? I am considering the Nayvis since I am not a heavy shooter, but a few times a month lately. It looks to have a large enough screen.

I got the one off Kalinka. It should be here by Tuesday, can't wait to try the setup. The Nayvis looks nice. The TRS-25 is 3 MOA with a 25mm screen. I love this little thing, really hoping it works good on a side mount.

Well, unfortunately I had to take the Ultimak off the 5.45. It was getting too hard for me to clean the gas block from corrosive ammo without removing it.

Anyways, I tried out the BP-02 side mount. Since a few people were asking me about red dot lately I figured I would take some pics and share.

First off, it's too high to co-witness :( but I was expecting that since a few told me. It's bore centered, and maybe like 1/4" or so above the dust cover. Very low profile and it seems well built. I don't mind not being able to co witness as it does quick detach and retain zero, so I still have quick access to the iron sights if needed.

I was also a little worried that I might need a new red dot, as this one might not feel right in back, but I'm happy to report that it goes on fine and has a good field of view in back. One of the corners is obstructed by the reflector, which was not a problem in front as the right sight covered the bottom 1/3 of it anyway in front. However it's not too bad, and will be fine for now I think. Maybe in a couple months I'll have some cash for a FastFire II or something.

post-21696-12748361520005_thumb.jpg

post-21696-12748361448949_thumb.jpg

post-21696-12748361342008_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I'm shooting corrosive now, and have to remove the tube to clean the gas block, so Ultimak is a no-go. I am hoping the TRS-25 is good mounted rearwards, but I am afraid it might be too small of a screen to have that far back. If so I'm looking at a Burris Fastfire II as I can't seem to find anything else under $200-250 that looks as good. Hopefully there is, as I'd like something low enough to co-witness as well.

Dibs on that TRS unit if you go with something else! I won't miss the boat THIS time!

Dibs on that TRS unit if you go with something else! I won't miss the boat THIS time!

Roger that :) If I end up getting a different red dot I will PM you. It's a great red dot, I love this one.

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov