I was looking to diversify my selection in beef jerky given that we tend to only have the same brand in house for almost 5 years now. I figured the collective palates of you all out there could help me (us) find something perhaps better. Please list a link to a place we can buy it too.

We like really hot/spicy jerky. Also alternative meats are cool to e.g. buffalo, ostrich, etc..

As for me my favorite right now is...

Big John's Beef Jerky

It ranges from $14.80 to $16.50 per pound usually with a free shipping offer too. No sales tax either outside PA. The hot flavor is ,from 1-10, about a 2.5 to me, 10 being Dave's Total Insanity Sauce (black label), Tabasco a 3, for reference. The beef is always fresh and is also quite tender and lean. Overall its the best I've had, but I am always looking for something better.

Edited by 690gr

Dude...you do know you can buy a dehydrator from walmart for 30 bucks, and a pound of round roast for 1.50 when pricematched with a local market...voila...cheap beef jerky. FAR superior to what you can buy, cheaper too sir. Here is my recipe.

1 bottle Moore's Teriyaki Marinade

1 cup Worterschire sauce

1/2 cup mortons granulated sea salt

1/2 cup coarse black pepper

1 cup skim milk

1/2 cup oregano

1 cup steak seasoning, the kind with the pepper seeds...

Marinade 24 hours then dehydrate. Also, slightly freeze the beef before cutting into strips. I assure you, it is a very anal raping business of beef jerky, and they don't want people to know how easy it is to make your own that is far superior. Plus, no sodium nitrite.

Hope that helps. But if you insist on store brands, Lowreys or Matador.

Ok,

Let's change it to beef jerky recipes!

Fair enough... I am going to have to try this. What cut of meat tends to work best? Also a dehydrator was mentioned. I have a smoker already. Any suggestions on how to maximize its potential in addition to your recipes? Wood types, time , temp, etc......

Ok,

Let's change it to beef jerky recipes!

Fair enough... I am going to have to try this. What cut of meat tends to work best? Also a dehydrator was mentioned. I have a smoker already. Any suggestions on how to maximize its potential in addition to your recipes? Wood types, time , temp, etc......

24 hour marinade then smoke it at 160 for 6-10 hours depending on thickness of cuts

DO NOT use mesquite for this...to strong....a simple Oak/Pecan mix will work

+100 for making it yourself in a dehydrator. After having some really good home made jerky you will never look at store bought jerky the same. It's far superior if you make it yourself. I have some good recipes for hot and spicy jerky. There is a preferred secret ingredient though. :devil:

I like to wait til the Top Round London Broil goes on sale and buy some nice sized ones to slice up and dehydrate. As mentioned above, it's easier to slice if you freeze it partially. You also want to slice it across the grain to make it easier to bite off.

I was just thinking about making a thread asking how to make beef jerky the other day. I've been wanting to make some for awhile, as I love beef jerky, but it's kinda expensive. I also get a good discount on meats from my job, so I'm set there.

Anyone have a specific dehydrator that they recommend (preferably something that a chain store carries, so I don't have to order it online)? Preferably under $50 too. But I don't know jack about dehydrators.

I also make my own. If using beef, the eye round is a good cut. I also make jerkey from deer and turkey. Meats are about 1/2 water, so a 3 pound roast gives you 1.5 pounds of jerkey at a whole lot cheaper than store bought.

My recipe for marinade is simple. Teriyaki and worchestershire plus black pepper, red pepper, and dried minced onion. I cut the meat with (not across) the grain (muscel fiber)in slices about 1/2 inch thick and let it soak 3 days in the fridge so the marinade fully penetrates.

I used to use a dehydrator but now I use my wife's convection oven. It used to take 10 hours in the dehydrator, but only takes 5 in the oven plus temperature control is better in the oven. I dehydrate at 165F (Pasteurization temp) to assure no bacteria growth. You don't want to use higher temps, jerkey shouldn't be cooked.

I have a cut up deer roast soaking at home as we speak, er... ah.. type.

I use a plain old oven and it seems to work just fine. Put it on the lowest setting and keep the door slightly ajar with a fork and manages to maintain 225-250. It takes about 4 - 5 hours depending on the size of strips. I String 5- 6 strips on kabob skewers and find they dry more evenly this way. Havent tried it on beef yet but has worked well for venison.

I would say the jerky was free except for the price of ammo but that would be far from true. After adding in the price of my hunting gear, I might not want to know what the price per/lb of home made venison jerky comes out to LOL!

Anyone have a specific dehydrator that they recommend (preferably something that a chain store carries, so I don't have to order it online)? Preferably under $50 too. But I don't know jack about dehydrators.

I just picked up one of these:

Nesco American Harvest FD-61 Snackmaster

A little more than $50.00 but seems very well made and got great reviews. So far it's been working great.

Has multiple heat settings depending on what your drying. The only thing I don't like is there is no on/off switch.

Hope this helps.

Alton Brown had a good idea for dehydrating the meat without buying a dehydrator, he simple turned a box fan on its side, i think with some spacers to allow air in the bottom, then place his marinaded meat on cheap furnace filters (strips laid in the slats of the filter material, stacked them on top of each other, on the box fan, and let it go. Don't recall how long it took to dry them. didn't really use heat at all, just the salt content to control bacterial growth. I've never gotten around to trying this, but it sure seems like it would work well.