AK54r anyone seen or own one? Check it out!

Interesting idea, but meh. No high-capacity magazines, and price is about 200 higher than I'd be willing to pay. Also, the furniture would have to go. Put some nice wood on that gun, knock the price down a couple hundred bucks and/or include some 20-round or higher mags, you're in there.

• Like 1

there has been alot of discussion on the other boards about these. I believe they only are supposed to shoot light ball.

You're right, and light ball is just what I'd want to use in this weapon. There are mods that can be made if you want to safely shoot heavier projectiles without beating up the weapon.

I like the concept, but that rimmed cartridge would make for a curvy mag for 20+ rounds... and I'd think that with a 16" barrel, you wouldn't gain a whole lot over .308 / 7.62x51, except muzzle flash.

In my humble opinion, the x54R needs at least 22" of barrel to prove any kind of superiority over 7.62 NATO. I like the idea of cheap surplus ammo, but I haven't seen much in a while... That said, I think 8x57mm would be very interesting too!

Macbeau sends...

Edited by macbeau

My suggestion is to fire a Mosin carbine first before you buy one of these. Then, you'll have an idea whether you will be able to tolerate the report/shockwave that emanates from a 16 inch barrel shooting 7.62x54r. (Mosin carbines have 20 inch barrels, and man are they loud).

Interesting idea, but meh. No high-capacity magazines, and price is about 200 higher than I'd be willing to pay. Also, the furniture would have to go. Put some nice wood on that gun, knock the price down a couple hundred bucks and/or include some 20-round or higher mags, you're in there.

I have never heard of 10+rnd x54r mags. Did anyone ever produce mags of the capacity? Maybe someone could mod a DP-28 drum for it. :super:

I would think they never produced this rifle in Russia because recoil would be completely unmanagable in FA.

Looks interesting, as long as 7.62x54R is available cheap.

If not, I would rather have a Saiga in .308 if I wanted a MBR Style AK.

I do like the fact that is is built here in the USA!

didn't figure a PSL with some AK handguards would cause such a splash.. (ok exagerating, but only barely)

Been thinking about doing one myself but I've decided I need to finish all my other projects first.. Like that gun (or 10) that is at some point supposed to have 20 mags and a nice scope sitting in the safe "half finished"? Finaly decided no more new guns until I've finished the old ones :rolleyes:

Oh, and I've picked up two new projects since I made that decision.. woops..

didn't figure a PSL with some AK handguards would cause such a splash.. (ok exagerating, but only barely)

Been thinking about doing one myself but I've decided I need to finish all my other projects first.. Like that gun (or 10) that is at some point supposed to have 20 mags and a nice scope sitting in the safe "half finished"? Finaly decided no more new guns until I've finished the old ones :rolleyes:

Oh, and I've picked up two new projects since I made that decision.. woops..

CF is coming out with one heck of a deal on these, 6 mags, scope and all the accessories for less than their list price at the moment

• 2 weeks later...

There are mixed reviews. I am not at all saying these things are unsafe, but there is already a thread up on theakfrum where two people have had catastrophic FTF issues resulting in bullets damaging the rifle. There is another thread on akfiles where someones piston was lodged into hit gas tube...

I would carefully read about the dangers of this rifle and evaluate if $839 is a good deal or not. It looks like the manufacturers are doing a good job fixing the issues, but Ill be damned if I am gonna take a chance with my life just to be an early adopter.

• Like 1

There are mixed reviews. I am not at all saying these things are unsafe, but there is already a thread up on theakfrum where two people have had catastrophic FTF issues resulting in bullets damaging the rifle. There is another thread on akfiles where someones piston was lodged into hit gas tube...

I would carefully read about the dangers of this rifle and evaluate if $839 is a good deal or not. It looks like the manufacturers are doing a good job fixing the issues, but Ill be damned if I am gonna take a chance with my life just to be an early adopter.

Thanks for your reply. I was not aware of the problems. Looks like I need to do more research. I think I will just settle on the 308 caliber figure which platform to go with.

Thanks for your reply. I was not aware of the problems. Looks like I need to do more research. I think I will just settle on the 308 caliber figure which platform to go with.

well I want to be clear, I am not saying these things are unsafe, I would just wait for a few POSITIVE range reports before buying. I mean if these things work without killing the operator, they would be the tits!

• Like 1

You all may find this reply strange... But I STILL have yet to comprehend this "NEED" for "high capacity" magazines for rifles like this...

If you cant kill it with the first bullet of X54... you are probably doing something very wrong, and should be using something else... If you have to spray dozens of bullets downrange, purely to spray bullets downrange... see if you can get me a job where you work... cause they must pay very well for you to be able to waste that kind of money on turning cash into noise that fast. :up:

I have 2 PSL rifles... and I have *YET* to need more than just two or maybe 3 rounds within 30 seconds of time. If I am shooting for "groups" I am waiting in between EACH SHOT for the barrel to cool... if I am blasting... 10 rounds is enough to get the rifle too hot for my taste, and accuracy goes right in the shitcan.

A shorter barrel, I doubt, will resist the heat much more than a longer one.

So just out of curiosity... WHY the need to have 20 or 30 rounds of X54 in a rifle that isnt going to shoot worth a fuck after round number 3 leaves the barrel?!??!!? Long magazines catch on everything... short ones do not... weight is an issue, I would rather have 10 5 round mags loaded in pockets than 3 20 rounders... but again... thats just me.

I am just curious as to the logic of " I wouldnt buy one unless hicaps were available " or the like... :huh:

:smoke:

So just out of curiosity... WHY the need to have 20 or 30 rounds of X54 in a rifle that isnt going to shoot worth a fuck after round number 3 leaves the barrel?!??!!?

In my range session last week, it shot fine even in rapid fire. But I wasn't shooting for tight groups when I was doing that. (Mind you, the laminate was melting off the handguard after my 10 rounds of rapid fire).

People want high capacity mags because it gives them options, especially in a Mad Max SHTF environment that they will likely never experience. For my own part, I wanted the PSL to be an MBR, but it just can't do that with any effectiveness.

You all may find this reply strange... But I STILL have yet to comprehend this "NEED" for "high capacity" magazines for rifles like this...

If you cant kill it with the first bullet of X54... you are probably doing something very wrong, and should be using something else... If you have to spray dozens of bullets downrange, purely to spray bullets downrange... see if you can get me a job where you work... cause they must pay very well for you to be able to waste that kind of money on turning cash into noise that fast. :up:

I have 2 PSL rifles... and I have *YET* to need more than just two or maybe 3 rounds within 30 seconds of time. If I am shooting for "groups" I am waiting in between EACH SHOT for the barrel to cool... if I am blasting... 10 rounds is enough to get the rifle too hot for my taste, and accuracy goes right in the shitcan.

A shorter barrel, I doubt, will resist the heat much more than a longer one.

So just out of curiosity... WHY the need to have 20 or 30 rounds of X54 in a rifle that isnt going to shoot worth a fuck after round number 3 leaves the barrel?!??!!? Long magazines catch on everything... short ones do not... weight is an issue, I would rather have 10 5 round mags loaded in pockets than 3 20 rounders... but again... thats just me.

I am just curious as to the logic of " I wouldnt buy one unless hicaps were available " or the like... :huh:

:smoke:

+1 my point exactly! Hell during the big one 8- .3006 worked just fine!

Sorta off topic but a lot of whats said has me wanting to ask a bit about PSLs

Always heard they heated up fast and accuracy sucked after a few rounds.. But I had hoped it was exagerated.. Definately makes me revaluate buying one if it sucks after 3 shots without cooling down (and when your shooting in 115 degrees, it doesn't really cool down). How does the accuracy drop compare to saiga .308s or other .308s? or the 54r saiga?

And I'm a pretty big fan of knocking off a bunch of targets as fast as I can, and with 54r ammo prices being what they are, definately would be using this rifle for that if I got one.

Some guys on the AKfiles forum have carved out more clearance between the hand guard and the barrel so the barrel doesn't heat up in one spot. I'm going to try cryogenic treatment and see what that does.

Another thing you could try is clamping the accustrut on the end of the barrel.

http://www.accu-strut.com/

There is debate on whether or not shortening the barrel improves accuracy. I haven't seen anything to confirm it.

Jump in and tinker.

GregM1. Russian did make some rifles in this caliber FA. Early SVT40's were full auto but the army dropped that idea because no one was able to handle the recoil for the rifle to be effective. All later models were semi. Some full autos were also converted to semi. I even saw one on GB that was original marked FA.

Volkov. The PSL arnt inaccurate when the barrel heats up they just won't win you any competitions. My would always hit center mass just not where I was aiming.

• Like 1