New S-12 product idea!!! (for machinists)

50 members have voted

1. 1. If there was a product available to clean & easily check your ports for proper size, would you consider buying it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Well I would have, but I already went through all the hassle of checking them other ways & I use other tools to clean them.

Anyone ever thought of taking advantage of the common undersized port issues the S-12s've been having as of late & making a custom port check kit?

It would be easy.

Just make a dental pick type tool that's the correct size for stock 2, 3, & 4 port guns. A person could even make the tip of them like a file for cleaning the ports like a gas welding tip cleaner.

Just a random thought for a product that I think would have a good market for the time being & even have a following when Izhmash gets their shit together. It would be marketable as a cleaning tool.

Edit;

There was a poll, The results were 56.52% would purchase. Broken down:

43.48% would not purchase

43.48% would purchase

13.04% would have purchased it, but have gone through the hassle of figuring out port size other ways & have other ways of cleaning ports.

Edited by Paulyski

I currently have a tool similar to this in production. You simply unfold it and stick it into your gas ports to be sure they are clear and unobstructed by the gas block. I have even taken it a step further and Duracoated the tool in red so you do not lose it when dropped. I will have to see about producing the tool in multiple sizes to match the proper port size with the number of ports a barrel has.

post-7122-060486200 1278224007_thumb.jpg

:lolol:

Sorry, I had to.

No BS, though. If there were a cheap piece of wire such as a paper clip or dental pick that came in the exact sizes that the ports needed to be in, I'm sure lots of people would buy it just to check their ports. As long as they didn't sell for $20 each or some crazy ass price.

Pretty simple task to run out and buy a special tool for and since port size is not your only parameter, how much difference does it make? What you really want to know is "does my Saiga run?" A few boxes of shells will tell you that. If not, start looking for the reason why.

Edited by Azrial

No BS, though. If there were a cheap piece of wire such as a paper clip or dental pick that came in the exact sizes that the ports needed to be in, I'm sure lots of people would buy it just to check their ports. As long as they didn't sell for $20 each or some crazy ass price.

You already have it in your tool box.

Cut off the smooth side of a drill bit and some needle nose plier's.

Pretty simple task to run out and buy a special tool for and since port size is not your only parameter, how much difference does it make? What you really want to know is "does my Saiga run?" A few boxes of shells will tell you that. If not, start looking for the reason why.

Port size is one big question & many members here spend WAY TO MUCH money on hokey half-assed jerry rigs to make their guns run, simply because it's tough to check the the ports to see if they're the correct size.

A whole after-market segment has sprung up simply because people are chasing their tails fighting undersized ports.

Just being there is one thing, but the right size is the key phrase here.

Also, You're forgetting about the cleaning aspect here.

You already have it in your tool box.

Cut off the smooth side of a drill bit and some needle nose plier's.

I'm not just talking about a piece of wire, or just talking about measuring port size. I'm talking about a small TOOL that has a small handle, that can fit in the gun's tool / cleaning kit & can be used in the field, when a blade of grass won't do.

Please do post pics of a drill bit & pliers stowed in your gun's tool kit.

You see, one thing I've noticed here, is quite a few members here aren't quite as mechanically inclined as some of the others.

Just the other day we were helping another member that had the hammer in backward & couldn't figure out why it didn't go bang every time.

Some don't even have drill bits. This would answer 1 very important question the moment one inserted it.

Not to mention, the S-12 lacks a port cleaning device in the tool kit.

Now I don't know about you guys, but I like to have everything that I need to make my guns run be in the tool kit.

Sure, you can run around with a screwdriver in your pocket, but isn't it nicer to have the one stowed in your little tool kit?

Sure, you could stick a paper clip in there, but wouldn't it be nicer to have a tool that is more rigid & can quickly clean the ports & not bend under the force of a soft breath?

So as long as people are throwing their hard earned away on stuff like pucks that only shoot high brass, when the stock puck shoots everything, ya'll can't tell me that this product has no place in the market. Ya just can't.

At least it's useful.

Edited by Paulyski

So as long as people are throwing their hard earned away on stuff like pucks that only shoot high brass, when the stock puck shoots everything, ya'll can't tell me that this product has no place in the market. Ya just can't.

Then why bother with a poll?

Edited by auburn2

Then why bother with a poll?

Market research.

If the poll wasn't there, I would only have opinions of those who seek objection rather than opportunity, now wouldn't I? And it's an anonymous poll, so those who I've royally pissed off in political or just playing around, don't have to publicly endorse the idea.

The percentage of those who have voted yes, just this soon considering the membership & the fact that there aren't really all that many active regulars voting has shown me there is a market. If the mods feel it's inappropriate, they have the ability to disable it. ;)

The drill bit and plier's was only to check gas port size. Why would you ever need to check gas port size in the field?

Here is a gas block cleaning kit for your S-12.

cleaningkit.jpg

Does that dental pick fit in the gun's toolkit to be stowed in the stock?

How about when you're at a gun shop or at a gun show & thinking about picking up another S-12 or your first?

I can remove the plug & puck with my bare hands quickly & insert a feeler gauge type tool very quickly with people hardly taking notice, getting offended or protective.

Now bust out the pliers & see what happens.

Also, it would be sized at .093. If you took a 3/32nds drill bit & tried to insert it into a .093 hole, it wouldn't ever fit.

Let me take you back to elementary school & teach you how to convert fractions to decimals since you seem to have forgotten...

Divide the top # (3) by the bottom (32)... You get .09375. This is actually closer to .094, & if the ports are already at .09300, you would think they were undersized if you use your method. :up:

Not to mention, what about those who lack a micrometer to measure wires to find one that's close to the correct size?

Add to that, a regular dental pick lacks the ability to quickly clean. The raspier sides of a welding tip cleaner however;

00801.jpg

Can quickly scale off debris, where a dental pick just pokes & "hopes".

One wouldn't make it out of tool steel, as to be a file that would enlarge ports, but softer than the barrel, so it would clean, but not mar.

Edited to add,

I would think tapered up to .0928 would be an appropriate size to be able to fit in & not get stuck, but still be able to determine if the size is correct.

Edited by Paulyski

Sure they would sell. As long as they were five bucks or less. A lot of them would get bought up by noobs and people who were a little more anal about things like that. A lot of them would get tossed in the online shopping cart as an afterthought. Wives would buy them as stocking stuffers. Yeah, people with a need could make something themselves but what's their time worth? Probably more than five bucks or less.

I already have a tool for that. Look for an old style bent wire spark plug gage. It is a folding set that has sizes from .10 to .45".

Oooh!

That gives me an idea.

I think you speak of the type with looped wire feeler gauges.

The one my pops had was constructed by folding a 2 to 3 inch by 1/3" piece of thin steel in half lengthwise over the ends of the loops & soldering or otherwise fusing it together.

That method could be ideal for quick manufacture of the product in question.

The cleaning / gauge tip wouldn't have to be bent rearward at a 45degree angle like a 1 piece unit & I think that this way would make the tool stronger.

Simply have a short micro-file like head & place it at a 45 degree angle rearward, fold the metal over the end, fuse & done.

I'm going to see if I can find an appropriately sized tip cleaner & see about banging 1 out.

Of course everyone would have to be closed for the holiday today.

I'm pretty sure the gauge that GOB is talking about looks like a feeler gauge that has different sizes of "L" shaped wire that could be used to check the size or clean ports. Bottom line is that the gun either runs or it doesn't and there has to be a balance between port size, spring tension, and overall friction. It's not a bad idea, but I just don't think it's a fix all for every case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How about a dentist drill that was short enough to enter the port and enlarge the ports without taking the stupid gas block off.

Looked into it, unless you're set up to convert Saigas everyday its going to be more than the average person is willing to spend.

How about this?

3427127190_f8c990830f.jpg

Torch tip cleaner..

They bend very easily and could be angled to check ports, Im not sure on the sizes..

Those. You can get those with 90degree tips.

There are wire sparkplug gauges with 90 degree tip also.

Edited by G O B

Let me give my paisano GOB an assist-this is what the spark plug gauge looks like. They come in several sizes-this one stops at .080 but there are several available in a wide range of sizes. The only problem I have with this is that port size is only one factor. Every gun is different depending on port size, spring tension, puck and adjuster choice, and over all drag from a number of factors. There is no one size fits all although you can probably narrow it down to a specific range on the large and small diameter size on what is generally acceptable for a specific barrel length vs common load. While this could be one good tool in the tool box, there is no substitute for understanding how parts interact if you're a dyi guy.

post-1866-087964300 1280979730_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Sure they would sell. As long as they were five bucks or less.

this is saiga stuff we are talking about here, i'd honestly be shocked if a set was less the 40 dollars

Would you??? :D

This is an idea from my company we're talking about bro.

I believe in a fair price. :up:

Hand made, with handle & maybe $10.00 if even that.

Just wait... Just wait...

Edited by Paulyski

I just use a small Allen wrench. It fits in the gas tube and easily goes into each of my 4 gas ports. Plus movement while in the hole will clean it.

Also... If you use a shotgun brush in the bore and reverse it while at the ports, the brush will clean the ports some too. I wonder if a 410 gauge brush will fit the gas tube.... I'll have to try that ..

Edited by JohnInNH

this is saiga stuff we are talking about here, i'd honestly be shocked if a set was less the 40 dollars

not saying all saiga stuff is a rip off, but you have to admit, buying saiga products is like passing out in a fag bar, you're very likely to get boned :lolol:

not saying all saiga stuff is a rip off, but you have to admit, buying saiga products is like passing out in a fag bar, you're very likely to get boned :lolol:

Unfortunately that seems to be the case at times.

However, I am personally working to change that.

I've already led to the drastic market price drop on multiple services just within the last couple weeks & raised the bar on quality standards higher than some can compete with. Some parts & tools will be next.

But I can't get into detail here as of yet.

Like I said, Just wait.

ETA;

I'm still at a loss as to why the creepy-bunny is included in this pic of welding tip cleaners... :unsure:

3427127190_f8c990830f.jpg

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 1