Anyone have instructions for DIY trigger job

Hi guys, I'm new to Saiga rifles and I did search on this but didn't find what I was looking for. I'm looking for instructions for DIY a trigger job. I don't want to buy any new parts but only adjust or tune the stock trigger that came with my rifle.

Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Saigamiester

Hi guys, I'm new to Saiga rifles and I did search on this but didn't find what I was looking for. I'm looking for instructions for DIY a trigger job. I don't want to buy any new parts but only adjust or tune the stock trigger that came with my rifle.

Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Saigamiester

What is it that you want to adjust or tune about it? You can always polish up the hardware with some sand paper, emery cloth, steel wool, or using a dremel.

remember these triggers need to be broken in. take your time and shoot lots of ammo. let the surface friction do its job. I had one that i did a polish job to and after several 1000 rounds it has gotten so touchy that it gives me shoulder mounted bump fire. i am not saying that is all a bad thing but doesn't go over well at the range. i don't like to waste the ammo anyway so take your time and shot it before you file or polish.

• Like 1

remember these triggers need to be broken in. take your time and shoot lots of ammo. let the surface friction do its job. I had one that i did a polish job to and after several 1000 rounds it has gotten so touchy that it gives me shoulder mounted bump fire. i am not saying that is all a bad thing but doesn't go over well at the range. i don't like to waste the ammo anyway so take your time and shot it before you file or polish.

I've got a conversion where I did a mirror polish on the trigger group, and a friend of mine had a similar result the first time he fired it. I've never been able to re-create what happened myself... But when he shot mine, it went off like a burst fire rifle... groups of 3 to 5 at a time. Not sure if it had more to do with his shouldering and hold on the weapon or not, but it made me worry a little about the trigger.

I've got a conversion where I did a mirror polish on the trigger group, and a friend of mine had a similar result the first time he fired it. I've never been able to re-create what happened myself... But when he shot mine, it went off like a burst fire rifle... groups of 3 to 5 at a time. Not sure if it had more to do with his shouldering and hold on the weapon or not, but it made me worry a little about the trigger.

Was it slam firing for whatever reason?

I don't think mine was. But I can't be 100%. The only time that's ever happened was during that one 30rnd mag that my friend shot. And I couldn't make it happen when I fired. Also didn't happen the next time he shot.. so go figure.

I'm thinking that he somehow achieved an intermittent shoulder mounted bump fire of sorts without trying.

Edited by danklab
  • 1 month later...

I don't think mine was. But I can't be 100%. The only time that's ever happened was during that one 30rnd mag that my friend shot. And I couldn't make it happen when I fired. Also didn't happen the next time he shot.. so go figure.

I'm thinking that he somehow achieved an intermittent shoulder mounted bump fire of sorts without trying.

Sounds like you somehow may of had a loose grip and it wasn't against your shoulder as tight as it should of been or something. Who knows. Just keep an eye on it for a while and always have it pointed down range when you chamber it. Dont want any accidents and if it doesn't happen again then great if it does then maybe change out trigger and stuff like that.

Was it slam firing for whatever reason?

This is quite common among folks who do their own "trigger jobs". It's not a slam fire, but a potentially dangerous¹ condition caused by changing the angles of the FCG.

It's why it's recommended they just "shoot it to break it in"

[1] Dangerous due to the "surprise" full auto or the 10 year minimum sentence . . .

I polished the G2 single hook in my 5.45 with a string and some metal polish. I put the pieces in my vice and pulled the string over the contact surfaces a few times. Just get where the hook and hammer touch mirrored and it will be awesome. It's a long pull, but not as gritty. you can also do the center of the hammer and sear to get a better reset if you really want it.

The easy way to check is to pull the trigger and keep it pulled, re-rack the bolt and then let the trigger reset. If the hammer goes forward and is not caught on the trigger hook, then the trigger hook has been filed too far.

If the hammer never reset (pops back up and never locks down), then the disconnector is not engaging.

This is the way to check your work before taking it to the range and potentially getting arrested.

Either of these conditions are dangerous and possession of the firearm like that is a felony. The danger is that the gun will fire out of control without stopping until it is out of ammo or you can manually reset the trigger.

The best $30 trigger job you can get is a Tapco trigger. It is about 3.5 pounds with a safe amount of travel. It is a drop in part and counts as 3 compliance parts making it require only 2 more if you add a pistol grip.

sorry for not responding i have been out of the loop for some time moving. My trigger issues were with firm grip and shoulder mount. I would get my slam fire with slow trigger squeeze. the weapon would release two to three round burst. I also found that at home if i held a loose grip firm shoulder mount it would do the same and empty the mag. I had to resort to fast trigger pull and insure that i followed through. I feel that getting tapco trigger and letting the surfaces mate and polish themselves from practice sessions is the best and safest way.

The same thing happened to me,good thing lots of people were shooting at the same time,and the range has a 3 round max in mag rule,it was a 3 round burst,im guessing if there were 30 in the mag it would have shot all 30! i have not shot that rifle since, i went home and ordered a G2 trigger group that night, there was no signs of sanding grinding or polishing on any trigger parts,the pistol grip was not loose,the rifle was planted solid against my shoulder (so it was not bump firing) when it happened me and my friend were shooting 100 yard trying to hit a small bullseye with iron sights. so when it happened it had something to do with a real slow and easy trigger pull,normally i just squeeze hard on the trigger and hold it back then let it go to reset the trigger,that's the only thing i did different, im thinking it was a trigger slap/bumpfire kinda thing due to the very slow trigger pull.

I had it happen one time, after I did a conversion with a Tapco G2 trigger. The first time I shot it after the conversion, I had one shoulder fired bump fire. Surprised the hell out of me. I let a friend fire off a few rounds and he commented on how touchy the trigger was but I did not notice that. He was shooting something entirely different at the time, so maybe it was a much lighter pull than he was used to. He never had a bump fire, and it has not happened to me since, but I have only put about 500 round through it so far.

I had to resort to fast trigger pull and insure that i followed through.

Following through means holding the trigger to the rear. Did that help?

yes. but the whole process affected my accuracy. I do usually follow through with each shot but not as firmly as i felt i had to do with that particular trigger. I guess if i were looking to send rounds down range it wouldn't be much of an issue. I want to see how accurate i can get with this particular set up so i went with a new g2 trigger group and haven't looked back.

I would advise folks that need this tutorial to never change angles. I use a buffing wheel and abrasive compound to just polish mine. If you are reducing the travel you may have to take a little of the engagement, but that for the more experienced .

Honestly, if the BATF guys can make it run more then 2 at a time, they will ruin your life. Your trigger work is all that they need show to prove "intent." I do not need that kind of aggravation.

I would advise folks that need this tutorial to never change angles. I use a buffing wheel and abrasive compound to just polish mine. If you are reducing the travel you may have to take a little of the engagement, but that for the more experienced .

Honestly, if the BATF guys can make it run more then 2 at a time, they will ruin your life. Your trigger work is all that they need show to prove "intent." I do not need that kind of aggravation.

Thats another reason i went to a G2 bone stock trigger. No fuss No muss!!!! i am a better shooter for it, besides bump fire is a waste of good ammo. Nice for shits and giggles every once in a while but not effective shooting.

Does anybody know where I can find one of the rubber/abrasive impregnated rotary bits that the two guides reference? I've been to Lowe's, Menards, and my local hardware and none of those places have them.

i couldn't tell ya. I would recommend that you just shoot the gun as the trigger will do the work for you after about 1000 rounds it will be exactly what you are looking for. I just barely polished old my trigger with "flitz" and a felt tip of dremmel on low setting according to the two referenced instructions years back. It wasn't until several 1000 rounds that it began to act squirrelly. I can say that the Tapco G2 trigger is a nice trigger out of the box. Remember the Ak trigger is never going to feel like an AR or target trigger. Kind of like the Glock will never be or feel like a 1911 but if you shoot with it enough it does get tons better. Again, i would recommend that you shoot the piss out if it, clean and lube it regular and before you know it, it will be what you are looking for. The up side is that you will gain allot of good trigger time and knowledge about your trigger control.

I'm just saying.....

Does anybody know where I can find one of the rubber/abrasive impregnated rotary bits that the two guides reference? I've been to Lowe's, Menards, and my local hardware and none of those places have them.

i couldn't tell ya. I would recommend that you just shoot the gun as the trigger will do the work for you after about 1000 rounds it will be exactly what you are looking for. I just barely polished old my trigger with "flitz" and a felt tip of dremmel on low setting according to the two referenced instructions years back. It wasn't until several 1000 rounds that it began to act squirrelly. I can say that the Tapco G2 trigger is a nice trigger out of the box. Remember the Ak trigger is never going to feel like an AR or target trigger. Kind of like the Glock will never be or feel like a 1911 but if you shoot with it enough it does get tons better. Again, i would recommend that you shoot the piss out if it, clean and lube it regular and before you know it, it will be what you are looking for. The up side is that you will gain allot of good trigger time and knowledge about your trigger control.

I'm just saying.....

Thanks for the input, and I can understand that idea. But my trigger hook appears to be wearing somewhat...wrongly? Immediately after installation the trigger was smooth and crisp. I liked everything about it. But after about 500 rounds the trigger hook as worn to the point that initial pull is very rough, then there is a false break as the edge of the hammer slips into a depression on the trigger hook, then finally with additional pull it will break. This makes for a very unpredictable trigger pull which really doesn't work when I'm trying to shoot for groups off bags. The depression in the trigger hook is so great that the trigger can "hang up" at that point and fail to return to "zero" when I remove my finger from the trigger. Video of said condition below.

I just don't see this getting better. It might, I'm just impatient and not willing to wait that long so I'd like to polish it.

Anybody else know where to get those rubber/abrasive impregnated rotary bits referenced in the guides?

Edited by jbrubaker