Well the Vet just informed me that my Dogs lungs are 75% tumors and 25% lungs now. It is hard for her to breath and nothing we can do for her. This may not seem gun related but to me, it is. We spent a lot of time in the field together. Her name is Nikki and she preferred Upland game birds to ducks. Made me fetch most things that were in the mucky bogs. Tough decision to make. When is too soon and when are you just being selfish.

I have spent more time hunting with her than any human I know. She has just turned 14. Half Lab half Doberman. Still loved fetchin Grouse!

I could use a happy hunting dog story or two!

This sucks but it is part of the commitment we make to them.

I understand this.. all I can say, is you will know.....

When the Dog's joy is gone.... you can tell (or your pup will tell you) and it will be time...

My heart goes out to you!

I feel your pain Rob, my Weimeraner died in March, he was 13. I know how bad it sucks. Like Juggs said you'll see it in his/her eyes when it's time. I couldn't take him to the vet to get put down, my wife had to do it.

Sorry for your loss

Edited by chupa

Rob-

In my experience there is never a good time or an easy time to do it, but their is a "right time" that I think you will both know when it comes. It will be hard but you will get through it and their will be a sense of peace and relief afterward that there will be no more suffering. God bless Nikki. All dogs go to heaven.

• Like 1

Thanks for the support fellas. I know at least she had a long and Crazy-Awesome life! Chewed through more frisbees than a beaver through logs! I work a 60 hour week and i just hope she doesn't go while she is alone.

Hello, RobRez

May be tough, but ya' have to do that last thing with her....They need to know they are not alone, and are with the only thing in the world that matters to them.

You have to let 'em know they could not have done a better job.

I honestly believe it means a lot for them to go out with that peace in their mind.

She came in to your world in your arms, she needs to go out that way. In the long run, you will feel a lot better for it.

14 is a grand old age. You should be proud. You have done well.

Very respectfully,

-guido

I'm really sorry to hear that man. She sounds like a real good dog. It's one of the hardest things in the world to do. I had to take my Rottie for that last ride in the truck to the vet's office. He did let me know and I knew it was time for me to let go too. We went out and did some things together he loved to do like ride in the boat. He was at peace and with his "dad". That's all they want. Sending good thoughts RobRez.

Theres only a few things worse than losing a family dog. I lost my dog Chance (Fox red Labrador) a few years ago. She was about 13, I got a call from my dad that said she had woke up frantically and tried to run but fell over and couldnt move at all. We couldnt afford to have a vet put her down..............my father had to do it the old fashioned way. I never seen my father cry as much as he did that day and i bet he never seen me cry as much as i did.

We only took her rabbit hunting once, never bird hunting, but she could find anything anywhere and had her trained to do just about anything you wanted her to do. She would even carry a can of beer to someone if you told her the persons name.

Sorry to hear it Rob but it is one of those inevitable life circumstances that come along with having a pet. Sounds like you gave her a good life and good times. She has been there for you so you need to be there for her in her last moments. I have had to put down a few pets in my many years and it's is very hard to do but I held them in my arms as the vet put them to sleep for the last time. It's the least you can do for her. Has your vet indicated that she is suffering as in pain if so you might just want to have her put down now to end her suffering and also to assure you're with her at her last moments as you are worried she might go alone anyway. I understand you wanting to keep her as long as possible but we have to make hard decisions sometimes based on what's the right thing to do by taking our selfishness out of the equation. My prayers will be with you as I certainly know it's so very hard, they aren't after all just pets they become family. theDuke

• Like 1

Rob-

In my experience there is never a good time or an easy time to do it, but their is a "right time" that I think you will both know when it comes. It will be hard but you will get through it and their will be a sense of peace and relief afterward that there will be no more suffering. God bless Nikki. All dogs go to heaven.

Dogman pretty much stated exactly what I was going to tell you. You filled her life with love and you will be losing a life partner. But I can tell you one thing, you gave her many more great thoughts and experiences than bad ones. They remember and never forget. My thoughts and prayers are out to you buddy.

That sucks man. It's never easy losing a pet. Sounds like she had a good life, but that doesn't make it much easier.

I remember going through this with my first dog Daisy about 4 years ago. We got her when I was 7 and she was a couple weeks shy of her 16th b-day when she had to be put down. Loved her a lot, and I think she is going to be the best dog I'll ever have.

Good luck and best wishes. Hope everything turns out for the best.

Wow Rob. It's a small world. I had a black lab named Niko. (Latin for Night)

He was a great hunting dog. I had him trained to a whistle. He also prefered upland hunting to duck, and quite frankly, SO DID I!! He would get so excited for hunting that I couldn't even pull out the shotguns and vests the night before because he would start scratching at the door and whining.

There was one time we were loading up the truck in the early morning hours that he didn't go to the bathroom before we left. He ended up messing up my back seat!! I was quite angry at the time, but now I look back and just LAUGH at it.

Last fall he got really sick. He ended up with some kind of cancer that effected his bowels and his bladder. He wasn't in pain, nor suffering for air, so he and I went on as long as we could. I would carry his hind legs up the 3 steps to the back door when he was done doing his buisness every morning and every evening. Things got worse and he could no longer stand up. It was time for him and it was the hardest thing I've ever done, putting him down. You're right. Those are the commitments we make.

I look back on all the hunts we went on, and all the birds we took. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. I remember the times where he wouldn't even stop to get the feathers out of his mouth in his fold up water dish. He just wanted to hunt more and more. I remember the times he would hunt so hard that I had to lift him into the back seat of the truck. I remember the good times. I still miss my buddy.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Ranbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill, and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster, and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together......

Rob: sorry for your ultimate loss...

I was going to put my lab down some years ago and loaded him into the truck. He was one of the first accelerant detection dogs in the country and had been with me almost 24/7 at the fire department. About half way to the vet I decided fuck it and brought him home. He really understood shit. I found him less then two hours later dead by his water bowl. Good luck....cancer really eats dogs up. I have lost 2 shephards to cancer too.

Took Nikki out for a little walk in the woods. She lit up when I Got my shottie out for the walk. So I let her get at least a squirrel yesterday. It sure was fun watching her waddle through the brush to go get him. Practically falling down to get there but loving every minute. Not too many of these times left. Heck we probably only made it a half mile but she was out there doing her thing. She is getting around thanks to the Steroids, but she has a real tough time with the breathing. lots of rests.

Hello

Bless both yer' hearts, just get the most out of these last days like it sounds you're doing, and have no regrets.

I can almost guarantee that Nikki has none.

Respectfully,

-guido

• 3 weeks later...

Well folks, on Thursday August 26th I had to lay my best friend to rest. The Cancer was just too much. We made a wonderful grave marker for her and she rests in a beautiful place on our land. She is in one of our favorite hunting spots and will always be an inspiration to make the next dogs even better.

post-16191-013564300 1283154825_thumb.jpg

post-16191-091287700 1283154961_thumb.jpg

Hello, RobRez

"....she rests in a beautiful place on our land."

I respectfully submit that she also rests in a beautiful place in your hearts. I think you should be proud to occupy a special place in hers as she romps in the Happy Hunting Grounds!

She knows she was one very special dog.

-guido

RobRez, I'm crying like a little girl over your loss. I had to put down my beloved Pluvy may 21. she was almost 19 years old. It hurts so goddam bad. You don't realize how much an important role in your life they play unti;l they are gone. My little girl wasn't a hunter or anything. Just a companion, I am so sorry for your loss. It hurts so goddam bad, but there is nothing you can do about it. Except you hope you treated them right. I miss her so damn bad every day. Take care.

Edited by BronCobraJet

I'm really sorry for your loss Rob. What a great way to commemorate her with that awesome marker in one of her favorite places no doubt. I was just down in back the same day, cleaning up around our own special place we have for our pets when they move on to the next life. Really sorry man.

:(

Cancer fucking BLOWS!! :killer:

Thank you all so much. It is the empty house that seems to be real hard to get used to. I expect her to be there.

Well she will be with me this here bird season as I fetch my own Grouse in her honor. Maybe after the season I can adopt a new buddy.