Broken Pistol Grip

I have had my Red Jacket converted Siaga 12 for a while now, but have only a couple of hundred rounds through mine ( mixture of bird, buck and slugs).

Went to shoot some 2 3/4" 00 shot today ( full recoil, not low recoil) and the pistol grip cracked in half right below its attachment with the receiver.

I believe it is the ERGO grip that Red Jacket use.

Anyone else have this problem?

I have had my Red Jacket converted Siaga 12 for a while now, but have only a couple of hundred rounds through mine ( mixture of bird, buck and slugs).

Went to shoot some 2 3/4" 00 shot today ( full recoil, not low recoil) and the pistol grip cracked in half right below its attachment with the receiver.

Were you shooting it from the hip?

Can you put up a picture of the grip and break? You should use our Molot grip as a replacement. You would have a hard time cracking it with a hammer... Took 15 hits for us to crack one and only one hit to crack a factoy Izhmash grip. We have tried to beat one off a receiver and the screw bent and gave before our grip.

Can you put up a picture of the grip and break? You should use our Molot grip as a replacement. You would have a hard time cracking it with a hammer... Took 15 hits for us to crack one and only one hit to crack a factoy Izhmash grip. We have tried to beat one off a receiver and the screw bent and gave before our grip.

I second Mike's grip. That thing is super tough and very ergonomic. Best looking AK grip on the market.

I second Mike's grip. That thing is super tough and very ergonomic. Best looking AK grip on the market.

I'll third it.

It's seriously a burly grip.

I'll third it.

It's seriously a burly grip.

I'll 101st that grip :lolol: I have 3 of Mikes grips and they are THE grip for the S12. They feel excellent and I have no doubt that they were tested to hell and back before Mike let them exit the building and grace our weapons with their presence ;)

Fuck all that Ergo-SAW-Tapco-ATI shit :angel:

Wait.... I feel a shameless opportunity to post a pic....

post-22401-065840900 1282440579_thumb.jpg

.... and at $20? They are an excellent value as well as a quality product.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Well I honestly would think that the grip breaking would be a matter for the manufacturer of the grip, not Red Jacket.

I've never seen Mike's grip in real life, but I am sure that it is well made. Personally, I have an ATI on mine and it is very sturdy.

This thread really needed pictures!

The MD grip has the bolt running all the way through & anchoring through a bottom plate. Force is exerted up into the grip so the whole grip would have to split up the middle to fail, & I don't see that happening.

Pressure distribution is addressed in it, where it seems to have been neglected in yours.

Chances are the ergo grip was designed for AK calibers as opposed to the MD being designed for the S-12.

Yours relies on tensile strength whereas the MD directs force into compression & tensile all throughout the circumference of the grip.

There are a few grips like that. The SAW style is too. I don't understand why they went that route. It's just not as sturdy.

ETA, to add the stronger grips, you'll need to change the angle of the bolt & get a longer style bolt. Possibly cut a PG nut hole & use an AK style angled nut.

Edited by Paulyski

my grip is held on by a nut and a bolt placed through a hole in the receiver.

I can see why any forward or rearward movement creates torque on that bolt/nut, which transfers force to the plastic grip.

there seems to me that a threaded sleeve that is welded to the receiver would be a better mounting option.

A bolt nut combination through a hole in the receiver is going to break the plastic eventually.

and some more.

porschechris, I appears you put your trigger guard on backwards. I'm not exactly familar with the grip you are using but depending on how it meets the trigger guard you are getting little to no bearing surface. If it meets like most it will only be the top corner of the trigger guard slot/brace meeting the angled side of the trigger guard. You really should put the straight side towards the grip for the most strength. (I do like the creativness of reversing it though, it appears to have opened it up better.) Resting against a flat will distribute the energy much better. You can keep the set up if you really like it but unless that grip was an over hard fluck then you should probably swith to the molot style or a saw grip. What kind of grip is that again? I'd like to check one out. Appears to be way to hard to break like it did.

emailed Will at red Jacket.

He says he has never seen a pistol grip break.

He offered to send me a new one, same pistol grip.

I just ordered a Molot Style MD Arms grip from Greg at Carolina Shooters.

When you get the MD grip, you'll notice that it can be mounted using your existing screw.

But to achieve the maximum durability, cut a PG nut hole & mount it the way all the other AK grips are mounted.

You'll see when you get the grip exactly how hard core these are.

You'll want to get the longer PG bolt.

There are 2 lengths out there.

A shorter one for the old short wood grips & a longer one for the longer Bakelite grips.

Just out of curiosity, do you shoot a lot of magnum?

Received my Molot style grip and grip bushing/screw today from Carolina Shooters.

Took apart my receiver only to find out that the only grip attachment site on the bottom of my Red Jacket receiver

is a circular hole for a bolt/nut assembly.

There is no mounting point for the grip bushing.

There was no way this was going to work this way.

Had to demel out the circular hole into a square to accommodate the grip bushing.

Finally got it mounted and with a little lock tite it feels real solid.

Let's see it with the new grip. I wouldn't run anything else on my S12s :smoke:

If I understood correctly, you now have a traditional grip screw and bushing? If so, good job. Can't go wrong with that setup.