Refinishing Advice...BLACK ICE TEFLON

Hey guys. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with any of the professional firearm refinishing companies. I have duracoated many guns in the past however I don't find it to be very durable with regards toward scratches and chips. I have been looking into this coating called Black Ice.

Blackicecoatings.com

This is apparently a teflon coating that is extreamly durable and resistant to scratches. It also have a very good lubricity factor since teflon is like the slickets compound known to man. I called these guys and they recommend disassembling your Saiga 12 prior to shipping since he does not know how to put it back together. I am getting really close to sending my 08 Conversion 3 Port to this guy. He says there is a 3 week turn around once he gets it and the place is out of Utah.

Let me know if anyone has any experience with this stuff or any advise. I was also looking into Crekote, which I really don't have too much info on.

Thanks Guys

Jason

Jason,

I never heard of Black Ice Teflon. If you do decide to get your S12 done please report back to us how it turned out. Have you tried using the new Duracoat SL? I just sprayed my S12 with it, so far no scratches where the Bolt Carrier slides. We will see how long this Duracoat SL will last. If you have access to a oven try that Moly Resin finish.

Edited by Sumsky

Hey guys. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with any of the professional firearm refinishing companies. I have duracoated many guns in the past however I don't find it to be very durable with regards toward scratches and chips. I have been looking into this coating called Black Ice.

Blackicecoatings.com

This is apparently a teflon coating that is extreamly durable and resistant to scratches. It also have a very good lubricity factor since teflon is like the slickets compound known to man. I called these guys and they recommend disassembling your Saiga 12 prior to shipping since he does not know how to put it back together. I am getting really close to sending my 08 Conversion 3 Port to this guy. He says there is a 3 week turn around once he gets it and the place is out of Utah.

Let me know if anyone has any experience with this stuff or any advise. I was also looking into Crekote, which I really don't have too much info on.

Thanks Guys

Jason

Looked at thier photos....WOW....what the fee for your S12?

They said if I send them a disassembled saiga 12

Is would be in the 150 range. He told me I would work great on the saiga series due to all the metal on metal contact. I'm about to pull the trigger on this.

Wow, that seems to be a great price. Are you getting all one color or are you doing some other paint scheme?

...Blackicecoatings.com... I called these guys and they recommend disassembling your Saiga 12 prior to shipping since he does not know how to put it back together. I am getting really close to sending my 08 Conversion 3 Port to this guy....

I might rethink that if I were you. That recommendation is a big red flag to me, that these guys don't know shit about the gun you're about to send them. Honestly, there are very few firearms in existence that can be disassembled/reassembled more easily than Kalashnikov weapons.

I also think that a Teflon coating might be overkill, and you might end up regretting how ridiculously slick it is.

I've stuck to Duracoat for my S-12 so far, but I plan on going with Cerakote once more of the Duracoat wears off.

He doesn't post here much anymore, but imo "Glockmonger" does some amazing refinish work. He knows WTF a Saiga-12 is, (unlike the Blackicecoatings.com guy, apparently :rolleyes: ), his work is damn good, and his prices are very competitive. Give him a "holler", and see what he recommends and what he quotes for the work.

• Like 1

...Blackicecoatings.com... I called these guys and they recommend disassembling your Saiga 12 prior to shipping since he does not know how to put it back together. I am getting really close to sending my 08 Conversion 3 Port to this guy....

I might rethink that if I were you. That recommendation is a big red flag to me, that these guys don't know shit about the gun you're about to send them. Honestly, there are very few firearms in existence that can be disassembled/reassembled more easily than Kalashnikov weapons.

Yeah, that is a HUGE red flag. Fucking Somali pirates and Afghan goat herders know how to field strip these guns, and this guy doesn't? :lolol:

If all they're doing is applying a finish then I guess they really don't need to know anything about the gun in question.:unsure:Not everyone is a firearms expert like every single one of us here is.:rolleyes:

I would hope they know enough about the gun to know how to field strip it, considering you need to field strip it to refinish it. Even worse, how about when they refinish handguns and such, do they not know how to detail strip the slides either or what?

It only takes a minute or less to learn how to disassemble pretty much any gun thanks to Google and Youtube, and IMO it speaks very poorly of a "professional" who is too lazy/uneducated to do a quick web search but instead tell people he "doesn't know."

EDIT: As for refinishing, check out Customized Creationz. They're a great company that does all sorts of professional finishes, they do Cerakote, Nickel Plating, etc. I sent a 7.62x39 Saiga to them to be refinished in Cerakote. They had good turn around time and always answered questions by e-mail. Cost $185 for the whole rifle plus shipping. Cerakote is very durable, I ordered some samples and "torture tested" them with stupid shit like knife scrape, etc. and it was very tough and slick.

Oh, and Todd isn't a Neanderthal and actually knows how to take apart guns.

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov

Geez why all the unnecessary drama and accusations? Did y'all even look at the website?

This company obviously does a lot more than just spray on a one color finish over various parts. It's hi tech coatings they are offering, and not just on firearms. They don't advertise as being gunsmiths or claim to know how, or even want to waste their time disassembling guns... or anything they apply coatings to. They also do medical equipment and industrial items. I'm sure it's just policy that whatever they coat needs to be shipped to them already disassembled, and will be returned the same way. They offer to coat "every screw" for instance. That doesn't mean they couldn't figure out how to take an AK apart (something we see gun "enthusiests" asking dumb questions about all the time here, like duhhh, "how do I get my dustcover off and back on?"). They don't have to spend time on that. They are in business to apply coatings.

• Like 3

Before I started applying finishes on guns myself, I sub contracted with Black Ice Coatings, and they do a marvelous job. The teflon coating they did on my black powder H&R rifle has lasted 4 harsh years in the field. I even dropped it out of my tree stand and the coating did not wear off. You will have no problem with them in their customer service nor in their work.

If you are going to do it yourself, then please use a good respirator with charcoal, have a fan set up in your workshop that blows the air to the outside, and wear rubber gloves and safety googles. You don't want to pickle your liver or be featured in the news as being found dead from over exposer to chemical particulants.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very interested to hear how this goes if you do get the black ice teflon coating. Sometime later this year I'm going to convert my Saiga 12. I've never refinished a firearm before, so I'd like to know how well the process went, how the final product looks, how the company handled the transfer, the customer service, and your overall general experience. Indeed, it might make a fine post to the forum discussing your experience, good or bad. :)

Before I started applying finishes on guns myself, I sub contracted with Black Ice Coatings, and they do a marvelous job. The teflon coating they did on my black powder H&R rifle has lasted 4 harsh years in the field. I even dropped it out of my tree stand and the coating did not wear off. You will have no problem with them in their customer service nor in their work.

If you are going to do it yourself, then please use a good respirator with charcoal, have a fan set up in your workshop that blows the air to the outside, and wear rubber gloves and safety googles. You don't want to pickle your liver or be featured in the news as being found dead from over exposer to chemical particulants.

This, and remember that once you open the charcoal canister, it will last 8 hours, so no using it for four hours and then using it the next day...

I'm very interested to hear how this goes if you do get the black ice teflon coating. Sometime later this year I'm going to convert my Saiga 12. I've never refinished a firearm before, so I'd like to know how well the process went, how the final product looks, how the company handled the transfer, the customer service, and your overall general experience. Indeed, it might make a fine post to the forum discussing your experience, good or bad. :)

yes please let everyone know how it went, with pics please!