MD Arms V-Plug

First, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to Mike from MD Arms and Gunfixr for their excellent craftsmanship on their products.

The problem I am having and would like some assistance with is the gas plugs are very tight going into my S-12. They thread just fine by hand in my S-20. I was wondering if anyone knows what size tap I would need to clean out the threads. I'm going to Dinzag's site to see if I can find one there. Thank you for any help.

nyclu3

• 3 weeks later...

First, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to Mike from MD Arms and Gunfixr for their excellent craftsmanship on their products.

The problem I am having and would like some assistance with is the gas plugs are very tight going into my S-12. They thread just fine by hand in my S-20. I was wondering if anyone knows what size tap I would need to clean out the threads. I'm going to Dinzag's site to see if I can find one there. Thank you for any help.

nyclu3

Don't know about the S20, but if it's the same as the S12 it's 22x1M . And hold on to your hat because they don't come cheaply. My local machinist store needed to have one ground for me custom, asking price was $160. I decided to go without.

I just put mine in yesterday and had a bit of trouble but I just kept backing it out and made sure I wasn't cross threading it and it finnally cut itself in. I think the new threads on the plug are just a little sharp, that's what it looked like when I held it up against the old plug. Also I put a couple drops of oil on the new plug.

It may be that what ever proccess they use on them ( like bluing)after the threads are cut adds a tiny bit of thickness. Just a thought.

• 4 weeks later...

I installed my V-Plug this afternoon. No problem hand threading it most of the way. I could feel the bumps just as described in the directions. I cranked it all the way in then backed it out to the #3 point in the first 'set of stops'.

What number seems to be the generally 'catch-all' for mixed, non-hunting junk-shooting??? I use the Federal birdloads for messing around, but also have #4 Turkey loads, some Buckshot and Slugs for when I get serious.

Is there a compromise point in the 5 settings? Or do I need to adjust for every ammo type used, even if just popping waterjugs?

• 3 weeks later...

I installed my V-Plug this afternoon. No problem hand threading it most of the way. I could feel the bumps just as described in the directions. I cranked it all the way in then backed it out to the #3 point in the first 'set of stops'.

What number seems to be the generally 'catch-all' for mixed, non-hunting junk-shooting??? I use the Federal birdloads for messing around, but also have #4 Turkey loads, some Buckshot and Slugs for when I get serious.

Is there a compromise point in the 5 settings? Or do I need to adjust for every ammo type used, even if just popping waterjugs?

In my Saiga 12, I've found that generally, setting #1 is best for slugs, #4 for buckshot (#1 and #00), and #5 for birdshot. The only way you could set it and mix all that ammo would be on #5, at least in my weapon, but then the slugs would be hammering on the rear trunnion. When switching between 'like' ammo, you shouldn't have to adjust the gas plug.

Then again, the whole point of the V-Plug is that you can easily hand adjust it whenever you change ammo. If you really want a gas plug that is set and forget, snag one of the autoplugs, though I hear they sometimes have problems with low brass birdshot. I love my V-Plug and I don't really find it odious to change the setting if I switch between birdshot and slugs. :)

I scraped the + and - signs on the plug and the dots for the 'stops'. Just to make it easier to see them. I have set mine on 2 for general stuff...no reason to alter it for a couple of slugs or a turkey shot or two. I can't afford to do the 100 rounds an hour that I hear described on these forums. The Federal Birdshot has cycled thru ok at that setting too, so I'll leave it there until something comes along that requires a change.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting..

I have the low brass reliability kit from CSS and with the V-Plug on #1 my RIO full power 1 1/8 2 3/4 Slugs will not cycle. They cycle on #3 as does both the low recoil and full power Buck shot.

However on #5 (the +) it will cycle Federal low brass.

Even #2 will not cycle Buck or slugs in 2/ 3/4 My fear was the lighter spring might cause problems .. No way. #1 must be for 3" MAG ammo. EVEN with the lighter spring. So I am thinking #1 and #2 are for 3" stuff.

Is the V Plug letting less gas through on #1 than the factory plug at #1?

Edited by JohnInNH
  • 3 weeks later...