Promag 12 round drum

I've got a Promag 12 round drum--I like it. The shells do rattle a bit, but I wonder if that might not be remedied by adding some felt inside the drum between the follower gear and the case heads or something.

Good idea.:up:

It would need to be secured & it would need to be replaced/maintained, but when perfect, that would fix the issue of the shell rattle of the drums if you kept your ammo consistent lengths & there was no additional drag impeding feeding.

It would only need to be done to one drum, being as, if a person needs more than 1 drum of 12 gauge... Well... They likely have more urgent issues than drum rattle to worry about.

While the 12-rounder is quite compact (and not terribly heavy), it tends to interfere with my left forearm (I'm a righty) when holding the forearm of the shotgun. This may be remedied by using a bottom pic rail with a vertical handgrip, but I don't have one of those to comment on that. So right now, without doing anything to the forearm of the shotgun, the 12 round drum is a wee bit less than comfortable. The MD20 is even worse and I couldn't make it through a full round of trap without having to rest and stretch my left arm due to the weight. :(

:eek:

Are you shittin' me???

If you can't reach around & lift an S-12 with a drum for a few minuets, you either have WAY TOO MUCH shit hanging off your gun, or you need to go to the gym.

The girl in that video is only like 5'6" maybe 120 & your gender is listed as male, right?

And what guy doesn't know how to do the "reach around"? :devil::f0ckers:

I just recieved mine yesterday and like NYL181 I'll have to trim mine a bit. It gets caught on the bottom edges of my gun. Is it the year of the weapon that makes a difference whether you have to trim it or not? Mine looks to be an '08 model going by the Serial #. Any input out there on that? NYL181, how much did you have to trim off, where and what tool did you use? Mine looks to be in location #1 according to the info sheet. Hard to tell just how much has to come off. I'll just do a thousandth at a time until it's snug.

Thanks,

Jim

I modified my 12 rnd drum yesterday. It moves from side to side quite a bit but locks in pretty good. I'm not too crazy about the sloppy movement though. I shucked a few shells manually and could feel quite a bit of resistance between the bolt and the next shell up. Especially the first two or three due to the spring pressure. I guess the proof is in the pudding when I actually shoot it. Anyone else getting the side to side movement?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got mine today. I had to file down just a very little bit on the rear shelf where it was contacting the mag well. I got it to fit yet still nice and tight. There is some slight side to side movement but it does not bother me. I hand cycled some shells through it and there was no issues. Now I need to get out to the range.

• 2 months later...

In reference to shells "rattling" in drums: This doesn't bother me as long as they function properly. I'd rather the shells rattle than be pinched together which may eventually deform the hulls and cause feed problems. Stored either on their face or back shells can be loaded for a very long time without fear of deformation and I think that's a good thing. Yeah, in a SD situation if one makes a sudden move or bumps something the rattles could give away position... it's a trade-off.

In reference to shells "rattling" in drums: This doesn't bother me as long as they function properly. I'd rather the shells rattle than be pinched together which may eventually deform the hulls and cause feed problems. Stored either on their face or back shells can be loaded for a very long time without fear of deformation and I think that's a good thing. Yeah, in a SD situation if one makes a sudden move or bumps something the rattles could give away position... it's a trade-off.

True, but I'm not really worried about making noise when I'm about to uncork 20 rounds of 12 gauge...

Promag's 12 round drum works well enough that Gunfixer tests his full-auto Saiga-12 with them. He kindly allowed me to try the combination for myself at the NC Recon last year at the end of a day's shooting. Very impressive as you can tell by the ear to ear grin.

Thanks Rusty,

Great reveiw, I'm pretty sure I can't use one of Mikes 20rnders in my Bullpup, but I've been thinking of trying one these. It would be a great "first mag" followed up by my AGP 10rnders if on the move.

• 1 month later...

They (the 12 rounders) are very easy to disassemble and reassemble. I had to adjust the tension in mine and it as very easy! if your mag works great just remember to count the spring revolutions as it unwinds or you may have to experiment with it when you put it back together. I could get any info on the factory setting?

I've got one as well and like the size. I hope Chaos comes out with one and MD brings out their double stack. I don't think the promag can be taken apart and put back together easily like a double stack or the MD20.

mine works well but the shells rattle in it.

Edited by Guns Are Great

Just got mine, the MD20 is a great drum but just too bulky for normal use. The Promag 12 shoots great, fit in the shotty with no mods. Its a little loose from side to side, but as long as it works Im not gonna bitch.

Only 2 real bitches... with 12 rds in you cannot pull the charging handle to load the shotgun (11 works fine), on my weapon at least, and the rounds rattle quite a bit in the drum.

But the drum works great, no stoppages or jams so I am happy to keep it loaded on the shotty as my bump in the night mag.

Put me down in the thumbs up catagory. It didn't fit out of the box they way my second MD20 did but... I like the size. I like the looks...and really it holds the same amount of rounds as my stick mags but fits closer to the gun. I was going to buy another one this week but I bought 500 rounds of 9x18 JHP instead.

In reference to shells "rattling" in drums: This doesn't bother me as long as they function properly.

I second this. Rattling in this case should not be seen as an imperfection. Too many times I have made parts to exating tolerances only to find that they don't accommodate dynamic conditions or variation in the feed stock. The clearances that result in rattling may be the right compromise for real world functionality, which reports consistently indicate this drum has.

The ProMag 12 round drum is my favorite Saiga magazine. For me, it is a great balance between capacity and bulk.

If I were using my Saiga to defend a fixed position, the MD20s would be my choice, but if I have to move at all and want to carry extra mags with me, I'll take the ProMag 12 round drums.

Another thumbs up for the Promag 12rd drum! I took my Saiga-12 out to shoot for the first time today and it functioned flawlessly. I loaded the Promag and tested it out and had no issue...all 12 rounds fired in about 3 seconds! I definitely plan on buying another Promag 12rd drum for my Saiga.

• 12 years later...