Folding Stocks

Why does it seem that most people prefer to or end up mounting folding stocks so that they fold to the right thereby interfering with the bolt when the stock is folded?

I would think that for most people mounting the folding stock so it folds left would be easier to open (since you are holding the rifle with your right hand typically) and the gun could be fired or at least the bolt manipulated while the stock was folded. I know that folders can be mounted low so they fold below the bolt handle, but then you have the stock lower than idea for both recoil handling and getting a high cheek weld.

Am I missing something or do more people do a left folding stock than I think?

Edited by TARE

I dont have a folder but this is just my thoughts on the topic. I think the reason alot of people get a right folder is so they can still use the optics mount. I have seen people with left folders though and some of the folding mechanism can be mounted either way so i'm not sure why you don't see more left folders.

Thanks 1986, I was just looking at the chaos rail thread and saw more left folders than right, so maybe I'm mistaken about the prevalence of right folding stocks.

On my ace folding mechanism, if you moun the stock to fold left the made in USA writing would be upside down, obviously this can be overcome by simply paining it, but it seems as though they assume most will mount the stock so it folds to the right.

Edited by TARE

Ive encounterd the same situation with my S12. At first I had an M4 stock L-hand folder, but realized that I couldnt use the scope mount, a light and red dot. So I swapt the m4 folder with my x39s R hand folder, ace skeliton stock. Then notice that I was dangerously close to the charging handle. I moved it down and didnt like how low it was so moved it up as high as possible without the charging handle and stock making contact. But I also figure that I will not due too much firing with it folded any way. Im using the folder as a space convenience. If any fireing is done, it'll be with the stock aginst my sholder.

I have mine folding to the left with an M4-type stock. It clears my left side bolt handle, and gives me clearance on my right side for my safety lever and extended mag release. She runs fine with the stock folded or open. I have a pig-nose to AR tube hinge setup, it just puts me over 30" folded. (It matters in Michigan.)

I'll put some new pics up soon. (The hinge isn't in any of the ones I have up.)

I have mine folding to the left with an M4-type stock. It clears my left side bolt handle, and gives me clearance on my right side for my safety lever and extended mag release. She runs fine with the stock folded or open. I have a pig-nose to AR tube hinge setup, it just puts me over 30" folded. (It matters in Michigan.)

I'll put some new pics up soon. (The hinge isn't in any of the ones I have up.)

Shotguns have to be over 30" in Michigan? That's unfortunate news...

I don't agree that this is a true premise: "most people prefer to or end up mounting folding stocks so that they fold to the right". I have an ACE stock on a self-modded (for the S-12) ACE internal receiver block, and I installed my folding mech to fold to the left. Even when the optics side-mount was present, it was never a problem. Of course we're talking Saiga-12s, so optics are a secondary consideration for most.

Now that the optics rail has been removed from my gun, (no point to it with HK sights), my stock will fold even more easily to the left. I could just flip the folding mech if I wanted to go to the right, and mount it low enough to clear the reciprocating charging handle. ;)

One thing I like about most military issue folders, specifically the Romanian's, is the downward curve that allows the bolt and safety to still be operated.

Davswm is correct, that is why most military folders go right.

Except those installed on S-12s, (and AK-100 series rifles), by Izhmash. ;)

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Most folding stocks are made to fold to the right side. Look at the FN-FAL Paratrooper and the Israeli Galil, both fold to the right. I believe the reason is that most shooters are right handed and the stock will be out of their was when the rifle is carried under the shoulder.

The newer AK folders fold to the left.

Edited by uzitiger

Shotguns have to be over 30" in Michigan? That's unfortunate news...

No, they don't HAVE to be over 30" in MI.......but if they're under 30" (but still over 26"), you have to register them as a pistol. Which would then allow you to treat them as any other pistol in regards to concealed carry laws. :rolleyes: Not that you could carry it concealed, but you COULD have it loaded in a vehicle then.

Interesting technicality there.

Most folding stocks are made to fold to the right side. Look at the FN-FAL Paratrooper and the Israeli Galil, both fold to the right. I believe the reason is that most shooters are right handed and the stock will be out of their was when the rifle is carried under the shoulder.

The newer AK folders fold to the left.

Also folding to the right makes it a lot easier to unfold for a right handed person who may have it shouldered.

I thing it is these ergonomic reasons that you see right handed folders a lot.

Jump from a perfectly good plane, land, extend stock, charge handle, aim and shoot. Not.... land, charge handle, extend stock, aim and shoot.

Does that make sense ? Or am I being too OCD ?

Edited by RobRez

I've noticed that alot of the Left siders tend to get in the way of the mag/release, thus making it difficult to do a left hand mag change if firing folded. I have a right sider on my .22. Don't much care for it as it get in the way of the charging handle. Will be Bullpupping it eventually.

I fold mine left, I shoot it both ways ( that didn't sound right! ), and have sling mounts

for both positions also. I dont use the sight mount ( which Ive been considering removing )

either, but it doesn't lock open so having it folded left my left arm keeps it in place

while I'm holding the forward grip, or when not shooting its against me so its not moving

around.