Do you need to modify a 7.62x39 Saiga to accept non-saiga mags? (not r

Do you have to Modify a Saiga 7.62x39 to take non-Saiga mags such as Romanian Steel mags or Bulgy Waffles?

I'm not referring to 922r Compliancy and Parts count. I just mean physically.. After I convert it to 922r, do I have to modify the gun at all to except all the widely available mags out there?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have to Modify a Saiga 7.62x39 to take non-Saiga mags such as Romanian Steel mags or Bulgy Waffles?

I'm not referring to 922r Compliancy and Parts count. I just mean physically.. After I convert it to 922r, do I have to modify the gun at all to except all the widely available mags out there?

Thanks in advance.

To accept any mil surp mags you have to install a bullet guide and file the mag latch a little bit to allow the mags to latch in.

Not necessarily, there are a few ways to go about it, I chose #2, modify the mag rather than the gun.

http://dinzagarms.co...mag_options.pdf

Saiga 7.62x39 Magazine Options (updated 08-03-07)

1) Factory Configuration

Note: No Modifications to the gun. Every standard AK magazine will need to be

modified. Also, you can only use steel AK mags and factory plastic ones.

Skills Required: Welding and Filing.

a) All standard AK mags need a feed ramp added to the front. This usually involves welding up to look like the factory mags although some have had success with a screw.

b.) The bottom of the rear catches on all standard AK mags will need to be filed to

get them to lock in.

2) Hybrid Configuration

Note: Both the gun and magazines are modified. This will allow use of the factory mags as well as standard plastic and steel AK mags. Also, you can still use the factory mags in other factory config Saiga rifles as well.

Skills Required: Drilling & Tapping and Filing.

a) A bullet guide needs to be added to the front trunnion.

b.) The factory mags need to be filed down in front of the feed ramp to clear the installed bullet guide. The existing feed ramps in the mags remain intact.

c) The bottom of the rear catches on all standard AK mags will need to be filed to get them to lock in.

3) Military Configuration (best method)

Note: The gun is modified to lock in standard plastic and steel AK mags. Due to the modifications done to the gun, factory mags will no longer fit properly.

Skills Required: Drilling & Tapping and Filing.

a) A bullet guide needs to be added to the front trunnion.

b.) The rear magazine catch on the gun needs to be filed to allow the thicker military mag catches to click in. You can also replace the triggerguard/mag catch assembly with an AKM/AK-74 one.

Option: To retain use of the factory mags, they may need to be filed down in front to clear the installed bullet guide. The seem to function just fine with the modified rifle rear catch

Edited by ChileRelleno

Thanks in advance.

To accept any mil surp mags you have to install a bullet guide and file the mag latch a little bit to allow the mags to latch in.

Not necessarily, there are a few ways to go about it, I chose #2, modify the mag rather than the gun.

I was trying to direct him in the best direction.....not the bubba direction.

• 2 weeks later...

Three valid options are presented, best to give the OP all options and let'im choose.

Hmmmm... It could be argued that two mods to the gun would constitute Bubba gunsmithing more than one.

I prefered to modify the mags to work in my Saiga, rather than modify the gun!

Even if you file the mags and NOT the catch.. you still need a 762x39 bullet guide installed..:angel:

the other downside is you have to FILE every mag that you want to use..

the easy way is to file a HAIR off here. use a small flat file and go slow until the mag JUST barely snaps into place... then you can run the factory mags also with little or 0 slop.

post-8775-0-81902900-1290694576_thumb.jpg

Al

IMO modifying the magazine latch is a much better idea. If you modify the magazines but not the gun, you're relying on those specific magazines and can't for example, use magazines for your other guns, or borrow a friend's standard magazine at the range, etc. Modifying the magazine latch is the most widespread and IMO better way to accomplish this.

The tab on the selector stop needs fixing, flip the rifle over and look at the selector stop, then compare it to a picture of a selector stop online, the front part protrudes into the mag well a little so that the rear rib on a surplus mag should not lock in...

go here http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notesak/aksaigarifle/pageaksaigarifle.shtml

look for the header "Reassembly", the picture to the left will explain.

I opted to modify the mags, due to the fact that the Saiga is the only AK I own. I agree though with the other posters that if you own multiple AK's then modifying the gun is a better option!

I didnt modify my firearm for the fact that I own more than one. I did it for the simple fact that now any magazine I pick up off the tground or shelf will work in it. :devil:

• Like 1

I opted to modify the mags, due to the fact that the Saiga is the only AK I own. I agree though with the other posters that if you own multiple AK's then modifying the gun is a better option!

I didnt modify my firearm for the fact that I own more than one. I did it for the simple fact that now any magazine I pick up off the tground or shelf will work in it. :devil:

Can't argue with that logic!:P

Yeah, for the sake of ease, and if you're really concerned about that SHTF scenario, I'd modify the gun so you can use your dead neighbors mags. You won't have the time then to weld up the mags or however you choose to modify them. I feel comfortable knowing I can steal some of Chevy's mags and use them for my own personal gain without worrying about my gun jamming like a mofo. :P

My current Saiga took exactly 3 minutes to modify the mag catch, and it is perfect. Yes, I timed it because I was curious. BTW, that even included smoothing it with emery cloth.

Yeah?! Well! I'll do it in 3 seconds! That's enough time to steal it from you when you finish :)

In all seriousness, when I did mine, it took roughly 3 minutes as well, using a rather fine file, I didn't have to smooth with emery cloth, I was good to go right off the bat. I can slap everything into my rifle, even the AK30 mags from US Palm.

My current Saiga took exactly 3 minutes to modify the mag catch, and it is perfect. Yes, I timed it because I was curious. BTW, that even included smoothing it with emery cloth.

Yeah?! Well! I'll do it in 3 seconds! That's enough time to steal it from you when you finish :)

In all seriousness, when I did mine, it took roughly 3 minutes as well, using a rather fine file, I didn't have to smooth with emery cloth, I was good to go right off the bat. I can slap everything into my rifle, even the AK30 mags from US Palm.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

I just knew that would tickle your pickle :lolol:

I agree with modifying the mag latch as it is simple,less time and allows for the use of just about any AK mag out there. You can always install a new latch if one was so inclined. Once the mag is modified and for some reason you need to sell the mags then your market just shrank.

I agree with modifying the mag latch as it is simple,less time and allows for the use of just about any AK mag out there. You can always install a new latch if one was so inclined. Once the mag is modified and for some reason you need to sell the mags then your market just shrank.

You touched on a good point there. I didn't even think of that. But resale value and market might go down significantly.

• 1 month later...

HOLD ON JUST ONE SECOND! I have NEVER tried this mod. before. Just so that i understand you all. in order for my siaga to accept steel mags or other type mags (all non-factory), ALL I have to do is file down the mag. release? Do i realy need to add a bullet button or bullet guide? This will be my first attempt at any mods. so naturally iam a bit nervous. THANKS!

Edited by elarpero1

HOLD ON JUST ONE SECOND! I have NEVER tried this mod. before. Just so that i understand you all. in order for my siaga to accept steel mags or other type mags (all non-factory), ALL I have to do is file down the mag. release? Do i realy need to add a bullet button or bullet guide? This will be my first attempt at any mods. so naturally iam a bit nervous. THANKS!

Yes you will need to add a bullet guide and file the mag catch.

According to your state laws you may need the bullet button.

Note: you need to also be in accordance with 922r

as mentioned before I am very new at this. after i file the mag latch, if i dont add the bullet guide what can possibly happen, in terms of functioning? and I already do have a bullet button.

as mentioned before I am very new at this. after i file the mag latch, if i dont add the bullet guide what can possibly happen, in terms of functioning? and I already do have a bullet button.

I have not yet done any research, but is it difficult to install a bulet guide myself? Or am i better off goiing to a gunsmith? BTW Thanks for the replies and help!

If you've got a steady hand, good drill, and the desire to do it, you can do it all yourself. If you lack confidence in your abilities, have a buddy who does do it, or take it to a gunsmith. There are a few threads around here on bullet guide installation. You also need to determine if you have a flat or round trunnion, as this will affect the type of bullet guide you have to get.