Who would have thought? Hi-Point 9mm stands up to a ton of abuse. Including having a spent case completely jammed into the bore while a 1.5x loaded round is fired through it.

I had a 9mm carbine from Hi Point. Fun gun. One day, it suddenly started feeding nose up on the second round of every magazine, and several other rounds in the mag. I sent it back to the factory, they fixed it, and immediately I sold it off.

LOL! A good cheap truck gun. I bought a brand new Jiminez .380 with a lifetime warranty for 125$. made in the usa. My thinking was..... wtf. better to shoot and throw than my main pistols. Put about 1k rounds through it and I'm impressed. Still, I wouldnt hesitate to throw it at a agressors noggin as a last resort.

I got a Carbine model. Added the ATI stock and laser, and a barrel shroud to boot...

Its a great little gun. It NEVER hiccups, and I dont think I have EVER cleaned it either... I would not be ashamed to call it AK TOUGH! :up:

GREAT little gun for the money...

:smoke:

I had a Hi-Point .45, it was quite reliable, but needing to remove a roll pin to remove the slide was unacceptable.

Also, the mag was prone to falling out if the gun received a shock.

The thing made a 1911 look small & feel like a Glock-19, which is an accomplishment being as the high-point is a plastic framed pistol. Notice I said plastic, not polymer...

When one hears Polymer framed, they think of a high tech impact resistant highly durable polymer.... Well, that's not the high point. It's just hard plastic. This isn't exactly good for it's intended purpose being as it's the most likely gun to be tossed while the owner person previously in possession is running from the law.

Good gun to shove under the seat of your car.

That's about it.

That being said, it was rather accurate & reliable when it came to feeding (as long as the mag doesn't fall out).

High points are properly held in the sideways position & are the definition of a "ghat"... If someone has a "ghat" it's likely the firearm being referred to is a highpoint.

They're also displayed nicely when finished in gold spray paint. ;)

Note that aside from the frame being plastic, the slide is "Zamak 3" zinc alloy. Not that huge of a deal since it's an unlocked blowback design. :mellow: Cheap, ugly, huge, heavy, not convenient to disassemble but most of the time they work just fine. I'd much, much rather have a Hi-Point than any Jennings-family firearm.

@Pauly, the metal looks pretty porous on that broken slide; I'd venture a guess that it was a bad casting. No company is exempt from manufacturing and selling lemons once in a while. At least the slide stayed on the gun and didn't hit the shooter in the face!

Edited by Caspian Sea Monster

Note that aside from the frame being plastic, the slide is "Zamak 3" zinc alloy. Not that huge of a deal since it's an unlocked blowback design. :mellow: Cheap, ugly, huge, heavy, not convenient to disassemble but most of the time they work just fine. I'd much, much rather have a Hi-Point than any Jennings-family firearm.

@Pauly, the metal looks pretty porous on that broken slide; I'd venture a guess that it was a bad casting. No company is exempt from manufacturing and selling lemons once in a while. At least the slide stayed on the gun and didn't hit the shooter in the face!

Like I said, my.45 was quite reliable.

But I really would rather milled than cast.

The Hi-Point is a great under-seater. That's it as far as I'm concerned.

It was accurate, & at the time I bought it, I was broke as all hell, not to mention didn't have any handguns at the time, so a touch over $150.00 for a .45 was just what the doctor ordered.

But the back of the slide that's held down by that roll-pin is only held by a very small piece of metal.

The guy really IS lucky he didn't get injured.

If the slide pops up AT ALL in the rear, the gun can go select fire in your pocket.

The first time I completely disassembled & cleaned mine, after removing the roll pin you must lift the rear of the slide, when I did it the first time the FP, FP spring & a little spacer go flying across the room.

I find all the parts & clean everything then reassemble.

Now comes the stupid part on my behalf...

So, I don't know for sure if I had all the parts, being as they flew across the room. I searched, but who knows??? :unsure:

I wanted to work the action but the roll pin, being metal inserting into low quality plastic, will eventually wear the plastic & work it's way out possibly so I didn't want to remove & reinsert the pin too much, not to mention it's annoying to install & re-install...

imagesqtbnANd9GcQNDl-hQDBEml67E2lXeeFg-n_i_X0GsItccWfUs4U0xN_7W38o.jpg

So, not having snap caps, I load couple rounds in a mag, & slowly work the slide to make sure it cycles right, but must have twitched & lifted the slide a tiny bit, because the damn thing racks two off into the sofa, I get an instant sunburn down the bottom of my left forearm, my ears are ringing, my nuts are in my throat & I about shit, pissed & had a heart attack.

So it hit me (after I assured that the dog & cat were alive) that if the roll pin ever worked free, or the tiny round street-sign shaped retainer/guide that runs down the center of the slide as a guide ever broke, even if it broke at the thinnest points where the roll pin goes through the post, the damn gun would likely do the same thing while in my pants.

imagesqtbnANd9GcR6FI_03k0T_g4N7fZzPgHOrOLYTEI27BLP-JTwXw-ULjTkLSvq.jpg

So, being as I had just about run 2 rounds of .45 directly down the underside of my left forearm lengthwise just inches away & I was enjoying the warm, toasty feeling of powder burn, I decided that I'd rather not have that happen down my leg... Or worse. :eek::cryss:

At that point in my life, I resolved that I would only buy & operate well engineered, quality firearms & have a through understanding of the inner workings of them before I put one round down the barrel.

So, just me I guess...

A highpoint is better than nothing, yes...

But it damn sure ain't the "Toughest Turd on the Market"

I'd get a P-64, Makarov or darn near any eastern bloc military pistol if I only had a couple hundred bucks.

I sold the thing the next day after assuring it was working & complete then got my G-17 the same day.

I want all my guns to be as well engineered & idiot-proof as possible, because one never knows how stupid they'll be when the situation springs its self upon them, so I figure save a few bucks elsewhere.

ETA;

This was also my education on DA, SA, & the Glock's DA/SA half-cocked system.

I'll never get a SA that rides full cocked again either....

Well, except for the AK based, but it's a little different being as it's well engineered.

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 3

I own 2 of the Hi Point carbines, and a C9 9mm pistol. The carbines are great weapons, will eat any ammo and run like clocks. The pistol is an ugly duckling, but it has been very dependable, and other than the fact that I would not carry it with one in the chamber since you cannot decock the striker, it is a good gun for the price.

I would recommend it to anyone that doesnt have the money for a more expensive weapon, but wants something to keep at the house or in the truck for personal protection. A bullet from a Hi Point will kill you just as dead as one from a Colt or Kimber.

As far as the pics of the blown up gun, it happens with any make, but one thing about Hi Point is that if you send it to them, even if it was your fault for using overpressured ammo or whatever, they will fix or replace the weapon for the life of the weapon.

I own 2 of the Hi Point carbines, and a C9 9mm pistol. The carbines are great weapons, will eat any ammo and run like clocks. The pistol is an ugly duckling, but it has been very dependable, and other than the fact that I would not carry it with one in the chamber since you cannot decock the striker, it is a good gun for the price.

I would recommend it to anyone that doesnt have the money for a more expensive weapon, but wants something to keep at the house or in the truck for personal protection. A bullet from a Hi Point will kill you just as dead as one from a Colt or Kimber.

As far as the pics of the blown up gun, it happens with any make, but one thing about Hi Point is that if you send it to them, even if it was your fault for using overpressured ammo or whatever, they will fix or replace the weapon for the life of the weapon.

When it comes to the "life of the weapon," I'm fairly certain the one in the pic is dead.

I owned one of their 9mm pistols since it was only $100 from a pawnshop that had a 30 day return policy.

It kicked like a .40 S&W and weighed a ton for a single stack.

I tried to take it apart to clean it and the roll pin would not come out so I returned it for a refund.

I think it makes a great disposable firearm (i.e. truck gun), but I wouldn't want it as my first line of defense. For $200 you can get better C&R guns that are much more combat proven and ergonomic like the CZ82 or Tokarev.

The Carbines got an A or A+ in GunTests Magazine if I recall, so they seem to be reliable, but not anything I would want in my collection due to the poor design including roll pins to disassemble if you have an ammo problem (like a stuck case or squib load) or want to clean it.