2 tone finish....need advice and opinions!!!

i am planning on converting my saiga pretty soon and i want to do a 2 tone finish on the gun once its stripped. i have seen some other members paint jobs and was wondering if there are any tips you may have. plus i would love to see pictures of finishes you have done. i plan on painting the receiver, barrel, gas block and maybe the receiver cover.

Cerakote is the best on the market.

Duracoat is an excellent product, and a bit cheaper, with mixing for specific colors as an option.

There are half a dozen other "Firearms coatings" below those two, but I have never heard anyone say they were any better than engine paint, despite some costing almost as much as the first two.

I want to use Cerakote for my next build, but you should sandblast the surface to prepare for any of the high end stuff, and build a little oven to cure it. Right now, I don't have the time.

My work was done with Krylon and High temp engine paint.

Hi FFF

I don't know what color combo you're thinking, but the easiest is probably having the stripped shotgun one color and whatever parts you're able to remove a separate color. That eliminates the need to mask off sections. I saw a dark gray S-12 with matching gray cover and everything else in black (carrier, safety, Tromix DIY trigger guard, trigger, gas plug and muzzle brake). Furniture was black too. Looked sharp.

Corbin

Has anyone tried the Brownells Alumahyde 2? The cerakote seems great but I don't have a spray gun atm. It might be worth getting one if it's that much better though.

Does anyone know how many guns the cerakote kit from Brownells will cover? I have a S12 and an Saiga x39 I'd like to refinish, probably the receiver, cover, and barrel/gas tube in dark earth while keeping the furniture black.

If anyone has any pictures of their 2 tone, I'd like to see some as well. A little off topic, but I want to say something about Brownells, since thedriver said something it reminded me. I duracoated my FAL and used Brownell's spray grit on the pistol grip. It is some AWESOME shit. It is extremely grippy but has most of a glossy type finish. I have seen a duracoat job though a buddy did with the spray grit sprayed on the pistol grip, then he duracoated over it and it had a flat finish. It was niceee. Okay back on topic now :D

All my jobs are done with DuraCoat;

Black and gray;

target11.jpg

Green, Black and Tan;

IMG_2858.jpgIMG_2851.jpg

Some custom camos;

026.jpg

IMG_2896.jpg

Hey stormi, what color gray duracoat did you use on that saiga (top pic)? I want to do a 2tone as well but am looking for a little bit lighter. I though Colt Gray looked good, but haven't seen it on a gun.

I used Duracoat Tac Black and OD Green on my SBS. Make sure you aluminum oxide everything you will be spraying.

Why the aluminum oxide? Does this help strip and degrease?

Blasting the Gun with Aluminum oxide strips the old finish off while pitting the surface of the Gun for the Duracoat to stick. After you Blast it, spray it down with degreaser. Prepping is so important.

Edited by Sumsky

I like moly resin and hardcoat anodize

post-8026-0-98067400-1296667110_thumb.jpg

post-8026-0-70359300-1296667200_thumb.jpg

How do you come to get a finish like that? That's not duracoat..... :unsure: right?

norrell's moly resin a phenolic resin base and molybdenum disulfide coating I feel is superior to any other coating

It's real....and it's spectacular!! :lolol:

But seriously it accually works very well

It take a large amount of surface area for the relativly low pressure gas to work against to give any real recoil reduction. Hence a large brake is required on a shotgun.

Everyone who has tested it is amazed it works so well.

The down side is it greatly increases noise to the shooter, but that's what ear protection is for.

Has anyone tried the Brownells Alumahyde 2? The cerakote seems great but I don't have a spray gun atm. It might be worth getting one if it's that much better though.

Does anyone know how many guns the cerakote kit from Brownells will cover? I have a S12 and an Saiga x39 I'd like to refinish, probably the receiver, cover, and barrel/gas tube in dark earth while keeping the furniture black.

I used the Alumahyde 2 on my s-12.. I think it was the Stainless Steel color, and used Alumahyde Matte Topcoat. I don't really think it is much different than high temp engine enamel. It does just fine for my purposes, and when it gets too beat up, I'll just detail strip it and paint it again.. no big deal. I didn't really want to spend $30 or $40 or more on a coating I wasn't sure about.. and Alumahyde is like $8 a can, so I figured I'd try it. It's actually a little lighter than I wanted. I think Snow Grey Duracoat was the exact color I wanted.

I think it's pretty durable, and it takes a fair amount of force to chip/scratch the coating.. for example, the gun falling over and slamming into a nice sharp corner or part of another rifle.

post-15268-0-17504700-1296802968_thumb.jpg

I used the Alumahyde 2 on my s-12.. I think it was the Stainless Steel color, and used Alumahyde Matte Topcoat. I don't really think it is much different than high temp engine enamel. It does just fine for my purposes, and when it gets too beat up, I'll just detail strip it and paint it again.. no big deal. I didn't really want to spend $30 or $40 or more on a coating I wasn't sure about.. and Alumahyde is like $8 a can, so I figured I'd try it. It's actually a little lighter than I wanted. I think Snow Grey Duracoat was the exact color I wanted.

I think it's pretty durable, and it takes a fair amount of force to chip/scratch the coating.. for example, the gun falling over and slamming into a nice sharp corner or part of another rifle.

post-15268-0-17504700-1296802968_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it might work just fine. I won't be painting anything until it warms up a bit anyway.