Not impressed with Tapco stocks on S12

Performed my mods back in September and have taken a few range trips since. In all, not at all impressed with the Tapco front and rear stocks on my S-12.

The front screw was walking out consistently even with Lock-tite. I finally lost that screw so I shoved a larger course-thread screw in there and it still flew off after a few rounds. Today on a range trip the foregrip flew off and my new AK scope mount also flew off twice. Not impressed.

To top it all off, when I got home I took the gun down to the man cave to lick my wounds. I was getting ready to clean the gun and laid it on the desk. The butt stock came off. I looked, and it actually BROKE off under the rear tang!

Closer inspection revealed that the stock cracked apart at the forward screw. The screws in the butt stock were chinsey at best.

photo7.jpg

I'm pretty disgusted. I don't think it will even be worth trying to get Tapco to replace. Severely annoyed by this. So far since I did this conversion, the gun has been unreliable at best and dangerous (stocks flying off, scope mounts flying off) at worst.

Call TAPCO and they will replace your stock and your forearm, believe me it's NOT a hastle to deal with them. Get them to replace them and then sell them and buy better quality.

You get what you pay for, if your lucky..

• Like 1

Call TAPCO and they will replace your stock and your forearm, believe me it's NOT a hastle to deal with them. Get them to replace them and then sell them and buy better quality.

Exactly. No point in being stuck with broken gear.

They screwed up an order I had a couple years ago, and when I contacted them, they made it right and they did it quick.

To me it looks as if the crack radiates out from the screw. Which could indicate some sort of odd fitment issue which transferred the recoil through just the screw.

I have a Tapco T-6 on my saiga 12, its been on there since 05-06 and I've fired many thousands of rounds with it on.

• Like 1

Did you drill pilot holes for the stock screws?

Putting the wrong thread screw into the gas block is the wrong way to handle that problem... Did you try a star lock washer and lock tite?

Yes, using the included bit that came with the kit, which promptly broke off inside the stock.

Have them send you a fixed Warsaw length polymer stock. I had one and it was as tough as any other I have used. Their collapsible stocks are garbage and are not stable.... of course you already know that.

Imagine needing to fire your weapon from the shoulder after buttstroking something with that stock....

I bought one of these stocks for my conversion until I can finish designing a Telescopic Stock that can be used

with the MD-20 Drums while collapsed. The main body is done with one small change. I want to make a better

butt plate for it. I also want to lighten the whole thing. I want to make sure of some dimensions once I receive

my Saiga-12. I will have prototypes made in about 2 months.

Here is what I have right now, (remember this is a work in progress)

Malodave

post-28789-0-99782600-1296737393_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

In looking at their website it would appear that the stock I have, under their AK line, is not "intended" for Saiga shotguns as they have a separate Saiga line of products for non-converted guns. I wonder if it will even be covered since it may not have been intended for use on a S12.

Come on man...in all honesty (being unhonest at replacement of their product failure), you don't tell them that. Ask them for a warsaw stock in replacement of that like evlblkwpns said. The warsaw is 9.25"'s and is very solid and reliable and is an original AK style stock.

492a999f11b7237d740953491f577ede.image.456x275.jpg

and you can also put one of these very comfortable AK butt pads on it as well.

recoil%20AK.jpg

So let me see if I understand the situation correctly.

You bought the cheapest, lowest end stuff on the market, may or may not have installed it correctly, had a problem and you are surprised by the results? In addition, rather than contacting a company with a reputation for good customers service, and at least discussing it with them, you went on line an complained first?

I would agree the Tapco fixed warsaw legnth stock is good to go. I personally would not use their folder or their T6 style stock.

• Like 1

So let me see if I understand the situation correctly.

You bought the cheapest, lowest end stuff on the market, may or may not have installed it correctly, had a problem and you are surprised by the results? In addition, rather than contacting a company with a reputation for good customers service, and at least discussing it with them, you went on line an complained first?

I would agree the Tapco fixed warsaw legnth stock is good to go. I personally would not use their folder or their T6 style stock.

The personal attack is completely unnecessary. I bought the stocks as part of the conversion kit I got from CSS. I was not aware that Tapco was "the cheapest, lowest end stuff on the market." Then you claim I didn't install it correctly, which is untrue. And who cares if I complain first. I shouldn't have had this problem in the first place with a product that many people use, especially on a gun that has not had over 100 rounds fired out of it since conversion. Your comments are rude and make you look like an idiot. Thanks for the warm welcome.

• Like 1

In looking at their website it would appear that the stock I have, under their AK line, is not "intended" for Saiga shotguns as they have a separate Saiga line of products for non-converted guns. I wonder if it will even be covered since it may not have been intended for use on a S12.

Come on man...in all honesty (being unhonest at replacement of their product failure), you don't tell them that. Ask them for a warsaw stock in replacement of that like evlblkwpns said. The warsaw is 9.25"'s and is very solid and reliable and is an original AK style stock.

492a999f11b7237d740953491f577ede.image.456x275.jpg

and you can also put one of these very comfortable AK butt pads on it as well.

recoil%20AK.jpg

I have no desire to put a regular straight stock on this gun. If that's what I have to do because all the side folders are unreliable, then that's what I'll do. Looking into an Ace side folder now.

The personal attack is completely unnecessary.

Umm, not to get too caught up in the actual denotations of the words I in fact typed but, what part of my post was a personal attack?

Then you claim I didn't install it correctly, which is untrue.

Reread what I actual wrote and see if I claimed you installed it incorrectly. I clearly did not. I said you may or may not have installed it correctly. You stated yourself that the line of stock in question may not be intended for use on the S12, if that is the case, installing it on that gun would make it a per se incorrect installation. There are some other indication that you may, or may not, have installed it correctly.

And who cares if I complain first.

I suppose only people who have any regard for good form. Tapco is a business member of this forum and as such there might be an even stronger case for exercising good form.

Your comments are rude and make you look like an idiot.

If you found my comments rude then perhaps it is because the guilty take the truth to be hard. They simply summarized your original post and asked for confirmation.

I don't know if my comments made me look like an idiot but yours have given us the following insights:

1. You do not understand what a personal attack is.

2. Your reading comprehension is lacking.

3. You lack class and would rather back bite and complain about someone than give them a chance to make things right.

4. You are not a prudent consumer.

6. You are thin skinned and, at least on some occasions it apparently inspires you to result to grade school insults (this may also speak to your maturity level).

• Like 1
The personal attack is completely unnecessary.

Umm, not to get too caught up in the actual denotations of the words I in fact typed but, what part of my post was a personal attack?

Your entire post drips of douchebag, Stevie Wonder can even see it.

Then you claim I didn't install it correctly, which is untrue.

Reread what I actual wrote and see if I claimed you installed it incorrectly. I clearly did not. I said you may or may not have installed it correctly. You stated yourself that the line of stock in question may not be intended for use on the S12, if that is the case, installing it on that gun would make it a per se incorrect installation. There are some other indication that you may, or may not, have installed it correctly.

If that was the case, then why even bring up whether or not it was installed correctly? You made an assumption that it was not the stock intended for the gun. Newsflash: the parts were sold to me by a reputable dealer who specializes in Saiga conversions. The parts were recommended to me by that dealer. I only now find on the website that it's no where mentioned that they can be used on converted shotguns. Your argument holds no water. You post thinly veiled insults to get a rise. If you are so offended that I call Tapco out on an inferior product, then why do you allege that they are the lowest-end product on the market?

And who cares if I complain first.

I suppose only people who have any regard for good form. Tapco is a business member of this forum and as such there might be an even stronger case for exercising good form.

So it's in good form to refer to the products Tapco makes as "Lowest end" "cheapest" on the market? Which is it?

Your comments are rude and make you look like an idiot.

If you found my comments rude then perhaps it is because the guilty take the truth to be hard. They simply summarized your original post and asked for confirmation.

Guilty of what? I'm waiting....

I don't know if my comments made me look like an idiot but yours have given us the following insights:

1. You do not understand what a personal attack is.

2. Your reading comprehension is lacking.

3. You lack class and would rather back bite and complain about someone than give them a chance to make things right.

Yes, and your posts here are so classy. Thankfully I have you to be a mentor in class.

4. You are not a prudent consumer.

Maybe so. I guess I thought that ordering parts kits from a reputable and highly recommended supplier of Saiga 12 parts was not prudent.

6. You are thin skinned and, at least on some occasions it apparently inspires you to result to grade school insults (this may also speak to your maturity level).

Not thin skinned so much as fed up with "internet tough guys" like you who pride themselves on getting "one up" on the "n00b" because they have a big post count and $300 worth of tacticool stocks.

Go punch your clown.

Edited by kadetklapp

Your entire post drips of douchebag,

That actually doesn't answer the question of how it was in any way a personal attack.

You made an assumption that it was not the stock intended for the gun. Newsflash: the parts were sold to me by a reputable dealer who specializes in Saiga conversions. The parts were recommended to me by that dealer. I only now find on the website that it's no where mentioned that they can be used on converted shotguns. Your argument holds no water. You post thinly veiled insults to get a rise. If you are so offended that I call Tapco out on an inferior product, then why do you allege that they are the lowest-end product on the market?

You are the one that suggested that it might not have been a part for the shotgun. You may recall my initial post was merely was summarizing what you said in your post. Thus, that part of my first post was merely referencing your comments, not saying that you did or did not install it correctly, but rather stating that in your post you said as much yourself. My second post on the topic was an attempt to explain that to you. I see you managed to miss it again. Reading attentively is a very useful skill and would spare you much confusion.

Tapco is lower end stuff, that in no way means they might not make it right or that you wouldn't be well served contacting them first. Many forums have forum rules that one must pursue recourse with a manufacture before publicly bitching and crying about them.

So it's in good form to refer to the products Tapco makes as "Lowest end" "cheapest" on the market? Which is it?

I don't see an issue those statements are factually correct. Their products are the cheapest (I'm guessing that's why you bought them). Their T6 and folders are also the lowest end US parts I'm aware of. Those are just facts. Stating things like that is wholly different than publicly crying about the company and a specific issue with a product prior to giving them a chance to resolve it.

Guilty of what? I'm waiting....

Buying "economy" parts not and then being silly enough to complain that the held up like one would expect economy parts to. Crying online without making any effort to resolve your problem. All I did was ask if that's what you did and you deemed it rude. If asking if you did what you did is something you deem rude it must be because you see the issues with your behavior.

I guess I thought that ordering parts kits from a reputable and highly recommended supplier of Saiga 12 parts was not prudent.

If you even thought it wasn't prudent then why did you proceed? That seems particularly unwise.

Not thin skinned so much as fed up with "internet tough guys" like you who pride themselves on getting "one up" on the "n00b" because they have a big post count and $300 worth of tacticool stocks.

You get upset over someone asking you a question on the internet and you don't think that is a being thin skinned? I don't think I got nor was trying to get one up on anyone. I don't have a particularly high post count not do I have $300 worth of stocks for my various saigas. Most use a standard warsaw pact length polymer stock, the retail for $30. One uses a CAA adapter and a magpul unit. Yes that set up is more expensive than Tapco T6. Perhaps it is tacticool to some, I would say it is functionally superior and your post would seem to indicate that as well. Some times, often in fact, you must pay more to get something that functions better. I find it highly ironic that someone who bought both the Tapco collapsible stock and the handguard would lob an accusation of buying "tacticool" stuff at anyone else (the tacticool crowd is much of the targeted market for those products), particularly at someone who's guns you've never seen.

Go punch your clown.

I see you have nothing intelligent to say, nor any real argument to make. Well perhaps I should say, I see you have given up on even trying to make an intelligent argument, because I'm not certain anything above that incredibly witty one liner qualified either. I'd respond but I'll have to wait to tomorrow to ask the 14 year old neighbor kid for an idea of something that would be on more on your level. You'll forgive me, in my ordinary course of affairs I'm accustomed to speaking with adults, and ones who know how to read, write, and communicate as such.

I see your post was edited. If the post above was your second effort I do regret having missed what genius a wordsmith like yourself must have produced on the initial effort.

• Like 1

Spoke with a helpful young lady and got a call back from a gentleman at Tapco who were concerned with the picture I sent them of the broken stock. They offered to replace the handguard and the buttstock. I informed them I only want the correct screw for the handguard so they are working on that. The buttstock I requested as a replacement is a Warsaw-length fixed stock. It is back ordered for several weeks so it's going to be a while before the gun is up and running again. Anyway, aside from not being able to contact them for a few days I've been very happy with the customer service I've gotten from Tapco.

• Like 1