Sons of Guns review at subguns

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish I could say "sorry" to the 250-270 or so Class 3's or 07's that auditioned for this show but didn't get picked . But , I'm pretty cool with the way things worked out

I don't watch the show, don't even know anything about RJ. Just know they advertise some services here.   So don't shoot the messanger, but since a lot of you are RJ customers, you might take a loo

Talk about mistakes. You made 7 spelling mistakes, never mind grammar in just a few lines of text and you didn't have a network adviser, producer and editor screwing with anything. You should really

I think the show is awesome. It actually got me into saiga 12's, just picked up my first one yesterday. I think that like anything else, success breeds envy. I didnt get to read that forum as the thread has disappeared or was deleted but it is to be expected since Red Jacket is getting popular and doing a great job. I say keep up the good work. 027.gif

I have been known to tell paying customers to walk with their bad designs and ideas.

Been there, done that brother.

When a customer wants some ridiculous 'one-off', that I cringe at building....I usually shoot them some outrageous price so they beat feet. I have to be excited at the final outcome, to want to build something, to enjoy building it.

I think some of the stuff on the show is just to show that they can accomplish it. Of the shows I have seen, only the thompson comes to mind....but if I was getting paid millions (Discovery Channel) to do it....I would be smiling through the whole thompson build :-)

UNfortunately, my labor rate is WAY below that, LOL!

Edited by C&S Metall-Werkes

aww geez, i forgot its Wednesday. i missed the second airing of sons of guns. turned on discovery channel and saw the last 30 seconds of the newest episode. damn it!!

DVR

i wish i had DVR. i only have basic cable though. discovery channel is the only good channel i get!!

I have been known to tell paying customers to walk with their bad designs and ideas.

Been there, done that brother.

When a customer wants some ridiculous 'one-off', that I cringe at building....I usually shoot them some outrageous price so they beat feet. I have to be excited at the final outcome, to want to build something, to enjoy building it.

I think some of the stuff on the show is just to show that they can accomplish it. Of the shows I have seen, only the thompson comes to mind....but if I was getting paid millions (Discovery Channel) to do it....I would be smiling through the whole thompson build :-)

I just don't want to build things that do not meet my design criteria. It needs to look nice in the portfolio or I'd rather not bother with it.

I don't watch the show, don't even know anything about RJ. Just know they advertise some services here.

So don't shoot the messanger, but since a lot of you are RJ customers, you might take a look.

http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi?read=748951

That's the heirarchy of gun forums....the VERY top... so don't start shit w/ those guys if you disagree. Respect. Or don't post.

Didn't post this so as anyone can go start shit over there. Just figured some of you would want to read it.

Hey man , I have one of your MAC kit's here that we're installing for a customer . Pretty neat .

Hmmm... The guy posts a link to a forum where a bunch of jealous, halfwit, asswipes are back biting and trashing you.... and you just happen to have one of his kits in your shop and a whole bunch of high def cameras, and an audience of oh, say 20 million...?

I like those odds Will, and I don't think this boy has the first idea what you just told him.

Man, If I were in his shoes, I would be makin' EXTRA copies of that resume'...LMAO!!!

• Like 1

but if I was getting paid millions (Discovery Channel) to do it....I would be smiling through the whole thompson build :-)

I can guarantee you that RJ isn't making a million or millions on this show. First year test shows don't get paid shit. Will is most likely doing these shows for just above actual cost. His love of guns and hopes of things taking off (ie. more business from the show and high enough ratings to keep things going) are what is motivating him.

He's got a lot of people in his business right now that are affecting his decisions and the builds he will and will not do. I'm sure he's doing the best he can to maintain RJ's integrity and give the producers what they want.

If you think different, you're insane.

• Like 2

but if I was getting paid millions (Discovery Channel) to do it....I would be smiling through the whole thompson build :-)

I can guarantee you that RJ isn't making a million or millions on this show. First year test shows don't get paid shit. Will is most likely doing these shows for just above actual cost. His love of guns and hopes of things taking off (ie. more business from the show and high enough ratings to keep things going) are what is motivating him.

He's got a lot of people in his business right now that are affecting his decisions and the builds he will and will not do. I'm sure he's doing the best he can to maintain RJ's integrity and give the producers what they want.

Well said Bridis.

• Like 1

Well said Bridis.

Well said indeed. Bridis seems to know a great deal about the reality TV business, and appears to understand it well.

What an honest man earns is his own business, and concerns no one else. I guarantee you whatever Will makes - he earns every penny, and comes by it honestly and honorably.

Will is a truly good man, as fine and accomplished a craftsman as there is, and we can all be proud that he is a member of our community. Those, who in order to draw attention to themselves, choose to disrespect him, diminish, mock, or speak poorly of him (directly or through the words of others) are invited to spend their time elsewhere... Such individuals are not welcome here among Will's friends.

• Like 4

Watching SoG put together that M2 Browning brought back some fond (and not so fond memories) of my days in the Navy as a FC. The M2 is a total PITA to maintain, while being one of the most enjoyable shooting experience I have ever had (I almost went to mast for shooting at sea gulls with it during live-fire) next to the 25 mike mike and the Mark 44 mini-gun.....and the NSSMS. :P

Haha, anyway....Will, I love the show, you guys are doing a great job. Any thoughts on making that integral suppressed AK 47 a bull pup??? Could be a fun project.

Edited by Warpike

I have never done buisness with RJF personally but I do know people here that have and that know Will personally that say he is top notch. That being said before you rip someones reputation because of what you see on TV maybe read up and see what peeople in the real world think of them. Just a thought and a nice way to welcome yourself to the community.

Bah suppose I should wax my post.

Someone will end up offended when I'm attacking the show and not the individuals.

I'd just say to anyone at RJF, for people in the know with firearms, the show makes your company seem... Eh, I think you can figure out the rest of this.

What makes for good TV isn't usually the same thing that inspires people with confidence to send their guns in for work.

I'll say this though, my buddies love the show and think I should be doing all of this outlandish stuff to my guns.

Edited by Tombs

Someone will end up offended when I'm attacking the show and not the individuals.

I'd just say to anyone at RJF, for people in the know with firearms, the show makes your company seem... Eh, I think you can figure out the rest of this.

What makes for good TV isn't usually the same thing that inspires people with confidence to send their guns in for work.

I'll say this though, my buddies love the show and think I should be doing all of this outlandish stuff to my guns.

Tombs - while I understand where you are going with this, it also stands to reason that most people are smart enough to realize what is RJF vs. what is Producer induced error. And to perhaps look at Will's rep amongst solid folks both before and after TV time...

Will's got to be making a calculated decision/bet that the extra publicity and what THAT means to his business > the pain, disruption to business by production, and Producer induced MISinformation that gets out there. He's effectively betting that people smart enough to be in his customer base are also smart enough to see through this.

I for one think that it's a fair gamble - and one that most of his competition just wishes that they could do.

If your post was befor mine, you were probably good. The offending troll had one post(this one) usualy shows a agenda.

If your post was befor mine, you were probably good. The offending troll had one post(this one) usualy shows a agenda.

Thanks for the quick and appropriate action NB. Shouldn't that T-Rex have troll feet dangling from his mouth...lol?

Meh... the show is OK. Maybe even informative to some. But the hog shooting was pure stupid and anyone butching a 1919 like that needs to be shot...

But the worst part was embarrassing and humiliating a trusted employee like Will did. The guy worked all night for your dumbass idea and you couldn't get up early to test it?

Not a fan.

Meh... the show is OK. Maybe even informative to some. But the hog shooting was pure stupid and anyone butching a 1919 like that needs to be shot...

But the worst part was embarrassing and humiliating a trusted employee like Will did. The guy worked all night for your dumbass idea and you couldn't get up early to test it?

Not a fan.

It's TV buddy (interesting, thought provoking, dramatic, funny). So thought provoking that it made you come here and post. That being said, you should probably stop being so critical, sit back, relax and give the show another try. I'm sure if you watch the show from the entertainment standpoint you'll enjoy it. Keep in mind, the producers have to make this show enjoyable to more than just us gun nuts.

I enjoyed watching the show last night. I multi-tasked and converted a Saiga-12 while I watched.... thought it appropriate.

As to the "drama" on the show. You've got to keep in mind that this is reality TV. RJF probably has a set number of arguments per show built into the contract. Some of the stuff they make a huge deal about is nothing, and we all know that. However the producers have to make a TV show, not a gunsmithing show.

I like it, yes I'd edit the show differently for my tastes (guns, machining, gunsmithing), but it's a lot of fun to watch RJF at work.

-Jim

I enjoyed watching the show last night. I multi-tasked and converted a Saiga-12 while I watched.... thought it appropriate.

As to the "drama" on the show. You've got to keep in mind that this is reality TV. RJF probably has a set number of arguments per show built into the contract. Some of the stuff they make a huge deal about is nothing, and we all know that. However the producers have to make a TV show, not a gunsmithing show.

I like it, yes I'd edit the show differently for my tastes (guns, machining, gunsmithing), but it's a lot of fun to watch RJF at work.

-Jim

Yea, like trying to figure out how to butcher a saiga to put under an AR15.

If they know firearms well enough to convert them, that would have taken them a couple seconds to think up how to mount it, the second they mentioned it I knew exactly what was necessary to prevent it from tearing up a rail or some other crazy thing. Especially funny since they made it look like they couldn't figure it out when cutting down the gas system seems like a vastly more involved process that requires some know-how. (Shoulda made a rearend for it that attaches to the receiver's front pin along with the rail.) Heh, at least the unconverted saiga has the trigger idealy placed for the job, just seems really really awkward to have that much crap under the gun.