I bought a CRKT Wild Weasel assisted knife some years ago. It was good, until one day the spring broke. I thought, "No big deal, it's American maden and has a lifetime warranty" and arranged to send it in for repair. "No can do" I was told by CRKT, but we'll give you full retail credit for anything from our catalog." I thought "Cool" and when the catalog arrived I ordered a Notorious assisted folder. It arrived. It was so stiff that I almost tore the skin off my thumb trying to open it. Looking at the box, it's made in China. Figures. That explains why the angles on the mechanism are so crooked they look like a drunk monkey with a file did them. I contacted CRKT again, and explained the defect. After telling my how to press on a thumb stud, I got instructions to ship the defective knife back. I told them I'd rather have my knife with the broken spring back. At least I could use it, and if that wasn't possible, I wanted a refund. What good is a lifetime warranty when they replace it with a piece of shit when it needs a part?

The company is CRKT.

Columbia River Knife and Tool, and I will never buy another product of theirs again.

Piece of shit company.

Don't buy their crap. They obviously care nothing for quality.

Kershaw here I come. American made.

• Like 1

I bought a CRKT Wild Weasel assisted knife some years ago. It was good, until one day the spring broke. I thought, "No big deal, it's American maden and has a lifetime warranty" and arranged to send it in for repair. "No can do" I was told by CRKT, but we'll give you full retail credit for anything from our catalog." I thought "Cool" and when the catalog arrived I ordered a Notorious assisted folder. It arrived. It was so stiff that I almost tore the skin off my thumb trying to open it. Looking at the box, it's made in China. Figures. That explains why the angles on the mechanism are so crooked they look like a drunk monkey with a file did them. I contacted CRKT again, and explained the defect. After telling my how to press on a thumb stud, I got instructions to ship the defective knife back. I told them I'd rather have my knife with the broken spring back. At least I could use it, and if that wasn't possible, I wanted a refund. What good is a lifetime warranty when they replace it with a piece of shit when it needs a part?

The company is CRKT.

Columbia River Knife and Tool, and I will never buy another product of theirs again.

Piece of shit company.

Don't buy their crap. They obviously care nothing for quality.

Kershaw here I come. American made.

That's disappointing to hear. I was going to pick up a CRKT knife at some point, after seeing my buddy's in action. We used his CRKT to pry open a car door, and held it like that for quite awhile. With the force that was on the blade, I was surprised the blade didn't snap in half or at least break off of the handle, so I was impressed.

I own several CRKT knives, and all have been EXCELLENT for the price.

In fact I have a CRKT in my pocket right now. My EDC is the Carson M21-02G. Its a robust, and ROCK SOLID knife that I am CONFIDENT to use as a pry tool, as well as whatever else I need it for. And it holds a wicked edge! It locks up tighter than a Nun's snapper, and is just an all around RUGGED knife.

I am surprised your experience was so bad... You got a FLUKE... and I would bet thats all... Sorry to hear it!

:smoke:

Believe me, the quality of workmanship on this knife is awful. The angle where the blade rests against the spring is far too steep, and nowhere near true, making it all but impossible to open. I doubt there's a parallel mating surface anywhere near the spring mating surfaces. The edge looks like it was done on a belt sander, and the liner lock mates with a crooked bevel against the base of the blade.

What a piece of crap. The design looks sound, and probably would have been a really nice knife, but poor quality control in that third world toilet China ruined this knife.

They replaced a $130 America made knife that was butter smooth and fast with this? Some warranty. They can go to hell.

Their older stuff was good, which is why I went with them in the first place. Now, all their stuff is made in Taiwan or China. I have email from their CSR stating that.

Italian knives are damned good.

It's a shame they moved manufacturing to China. They ruined a good product.

Edited by patriot

One word. Benchmade.

One word: Copies.

Nothing original.

Sorry, the only thing Benchmade impresses me with is their prices.

My posting was to warn of a formerly decent manufacturer whose quality has gone down the toilet.

They now don't manufacture. They resell Chinese crap.

I've had a CRKT for years without malfunction of any kind. Mine is marked 'Made in Italy,' not China.

I also do and I have a knife I got from JPFO which is US made and is a good one.

It's a shame that CRKT is bringing crappy knives made in China. I can get a Chinese made knife for a couple of bucks, why should I pay for the CRKT name if they import them from China?

Emerson knives all the way. ITs the fastest deploying knife Ive seen/know of. It looks faster than a switchblade and IMO is. With the wAve feature on the Emerson, as you pull the knife out its already in the process of deploying. With a swtichblade you have to pull it out and still hit the release button.

One word. Benchmade.

One word: Copies.

Nothing original.

Sorry, the only thing Benchmade impresses me with is their prices.

My posting was to warn of a formerly decent manufacturer whose quality has gone down the toilet.

They now don't manufacture. They resell Chinese crap.

Sorry for the threadjack patriot. If Benchmade truly copied blades, they'd soon be in court. I have several auto openers and fixed blade models issued by the military. And no problems with any. All have been used and abused while deployed on a daily basis btw. Sorry to hear about your luck with CRKT.

Benchmade has their "Eversharp" program where you can send it in to get a factory edge back on it at no cost. If it is a folder or auto opener, they'll give it a free tune-up as well. Not many knife makers do this. If you are military, they expedite the process for you. Of all the various knives the military ever issued me, Benchmades are the sharpest out of all of them.