48 members have voted

1. 1. which saiga?

Hi all. I need help picking a Saiga for my girlfriend. I have a s12 and a s308 but the recoil on them is a bit much for her. She can shoot both clean them and load their mags up. She is also a damn good shot but at 5 foot 1 she does the Saiga dance too easily. She has a tacticool 10/22 but wants something more like my big toys. So which of the other Saiga do you think will suit her? Keep in mind we go to range twice a week. Thanks

Edited by kindapointless

Hi all. I need help picking a Saiga for my girlfriend. I have a s12 and a s308 but the recoil on them is a bit much for her. She can shoot both clean them and load their mags up. She is also a damn good shot but at 5 foot 1 she does the Saiga dance too easily. She has a tacticool 10/22 but wants something more like my big toys. So which of the other Saiga do you think will suit her? Keep in mind we go to range twice a week. Thanks

5.45x39 or .223. Either will be lighter than 7.62x39 and the recoil will be manageable for her. She won't need a "limbsaver" that makes the gun longer and more difficult to deal with.

Edited by Jim Digriz

I don't beleive I chose .223, but from what I know of it, it has some of the least recoil and longest reach. I prefer the x39 personally but for a "lil girl" I would think the .223. She already has a .22 and the 410 is not much better range wise, just more punch.

Big question, What does SHE want? I was gonna get my daughter a .380 for CC, but I think she wants my .45, lol.

I'd go with the x39, has plenty of power with low enough recoil just about anyone could handle it. Second choice would be the .223 for me over the 5.45 for ammo availability and wide range of choices in what you want to put through it. I love the 5.45 round but the way I think is if you are getting main rifle or anything else, get one that has readily available ammo at local gun shops and stores.

5.45x39 or .223. Either will be lighter than 7.62x39 and the recoil will be manageable for her. She won't need a "limbsaver" that makes the gun longer and more difficult to deal with.

I agree completely, almost. I prefer the 223, mainly because of ammo variety and availability. As you stated, recoil pads have their minuses along with their pluses.

I don't beleive I chose .223, but from what I know of it, it has some of the least recoil and longest reach. I prefer the x39 personally but for a "lil girl" I would think the .223. She already has a .22 and the 410 is not much better range wise, just more punch.

Big question, What does SHE want? I was gonna get my daughter a .380 for CC, but I think she wants my .45, lol.

Bingo! I would go with the 223 but what does she want? I was going to get the wife a 9mm pistol but she chose a 40 (and can handle it just fine). You did say recoil on the big ones bothers her, so you'd be completely safe with the 223.

instinctively, i would think that .223 or 7.62X39 would make ideal cartridges for her to shoot, but it occurred to me, does she want a rifle or a shotgun?

Also true. I don't really care for 410s but it ain't for me.

BTW, why would you put get a better girlfriend in there? Sounds like she's plenty good as is. She is buying all the ammo isn't she? If not, get a better girlfriend.

5.45. Cheap surplus ammo (why bother with availability when you can get get over 2000 rounds for <$300 now, plus there's the Bears and Wolfs out there), cheaper surplus mags, better reliability than the .223, lower recoil than the x39. But of course, it really depends on what she wants.

I supply the ammo. I have my main guns the 308 and 12 so this is just going to be a printer for her. She don't care if its rifle or shotgun she says. She said just pick one as long as recoil isn't bad. She just wants one like mine because she watches me change stuff on the s12 every week. I was actually leaning towards the 5.45 but everyone is saying no? 410 she could plop slugs out of but she already has a tiny single shot one.

I was actually leaning towards the 5.45 but everyone is saying no?

Not everyone. I think it's a great choice, and the same goes for .223, a near perfect equivalent in weight and recoil. I would take the votes for 7.62x39 as an indication of the popularity of that caliber on this forum. No offense to any of the above posters, but for some people, 7.62x39 is always the answer. Not sure whether they've actually shot that caliber with a small woman. The extra 1/2 pound in loaded magazine weight will make a difference to most women, as will the (roughly) doubled recoil.

Edited by Jim Digriz

No offense to any of the above posters

None taken

It maybe best if you take her on a gun shopping day. Go find these different models if you can locally and let her see and hold the different models. The worst thing would be is if you bought any of these and she did not like it.

She has held all of them in their unrestored state and didn't mind the weight of them but that is also without the weight of ammo. My local store has all instock and price is the same on all (they like me). Since I buy the ammo I keep coming back to the 5.45 or 410 since I have a shotshell press. I'm looking at it like this if she don't like it then I have another for me.

I would go with the .410 or the 5.45X39 my wife loves them both she also has a S-20 she likes. I have two SAR 2 AK-74's one with a folding stock and one with a wood stock and a .S-410, a S-20 and several S-12's some are converted some are not, If you would like her to try one out before buying I live right below Weirton WV about a 1:15 from Butler PA and if you would want to come down one weekend and test drive before spending your money I wouldn't mind helping out someone on this forum I have a farm we can shoot on so PM me if you would be intersted in doing this some time.

She has held all of them in their unrestored state and didn't mind the weight of them but that is also without the weight of ammo. My local store has all instock and price is the same on all (they like me). Since I buy the ammo I keep coming back to the 5.45 or 410 since I have a shotshell press. I'm looking at it like this if she don't like it then I have another for me.

ROFL thats cool

I only kidding saying no to the 5.45 cause its becoming more and more popular and people are buying them up and driving prices up. This way one less 5.45 owner=cheaper prices for me :D

BTW, why would you put get a better girlfriend in there? Sounds like she's plenty good as is. She is buying all the ammo isn't she? If not, get a better girlfriend.

i agree man, she sounds like a pretty cool girlfriend. much better than the type that is scared of firearms

5.45. Cheap surplus ammo (why bother with availability when you can get get over 2000 rounds for <$300 now, plus there's the Bears and Wolfs out there), cheaper surplus mags, better reliability than the .223, lower recoil than the x39. But of course, it really depends on what she wants.

Just curious about "better reliability than the 223". I've heard that a few other times on the forum and am puzzled. I can only go by my own 223 of course, but have right at 500 rounds through it with zero FTF/FTEs. It has performed flawlessly and has never been cleaned other than a wipedown and oiling during conversion. 380 rounds of PMC55 grain, 60 each of Hornady Tap 60/75. Factory mag and 2 Surefire 30's. My guns have to prove themselves issue free before I'll consider them for personal protection and I believe this one has. Am I wrong?

I was actually leaning towards the 5.45 but everyone is saying no?

Not everyone. I think it's a great choice, and the same goes for .223, a near perfect equivalent in weight and recoil. I would take the votes for 7.62x39 as an indication of the popularity of that caliber on this forum. No offense to any of the above posters, but for some people, 7.62x39 is always the answer. Not sure whether they've actually shot that caliber with a small woman. The extra 1/2 pound in loaded magazine weight will make a difference to most women, as will the (roughly) doubled recoil.

I agree. It is only natural to suggest what happens to be your favorite, I suppose. My wife absolutely loved my Ruger 40 caliber carbine. I said wait until you shoot the 223 and you may commit adultery. I was right, now she's a two timer.

i agree man, she sounds like a pretty cool girlfriend. much better than the type that is scared of firearms

That's for sure. Plus it's much better to buy her ammo than silly stuff like jewelry and such.

Just curious about "better reliability than the 223". I've heard that a few other times on the forum and am puzzled. I can only go by my own 223 of course, but have right at 500 rounds through it with zero FTF/FTEs. It has performed flawlessly and has never been cleaned other than a wipedown and oiling during conversion. 380 rounds of PMC55 grain, 60 each of Hornady Tap 60/75. Factory mag and 2 Surefire 30's. My guns have to prove themselves issue free before I'll consider them for personal protection and I believe this one has. Am I wrong?

No. It is true that the 5.45 and 7.62x39 have greater inherent reliability than .223, but that does not mean that .223 cannot be very reliable indeed. By "greater inherent reliability", I'm referring to the more tapered cartridge design, which aids in feeding and extraction, and the thicker rim at the rear, which aids in extraction.

There is a thread over at Warrior Talk where Jim Fuller of Rifle Dynamics says that .223 AKs need a bit more upkeep to be completely reliable. Namely, the chamber should be cleaned to avoid extraction issues.

Jim