can you shoot federal rifled slugs from an S-12?

Winchester and Remington are available from Wallmart at about $9 per bulk 15 pack, which is significantly cheaper per slug than you'll get from most gun stores. SGAmmo sells some Centurion slugs even cheaper if you're willing to buy in lots of 50 or 250 and pay shipping.

The centurion slugs are hard to beat 80 bucks for 250 and discounts if u order bigger lots. Decent accuracy too. I go through around 100 slugs a weekend so I'm getting ready to try the birdshot to slug conversion

That would add up in a hurry. Would probably bind up an automatic but have you tried cut shells?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU

The Centurion deal at SGA is about the best deal going on high brass slugs that actually have some oomph.

Walmart bulk birdshot (roughly $55 per 250 although not sold in that quantity) converted to slugs with your own smelter pot, and reloading press is probably the cheapest. ( Not counting $60 for a Lee load-all II, $40 for a melter, $20 for a mold) I'm aware that Wally has the individual boxes that come out to just under $20 per 100, but those are only 1oz loads, the value pack is 1 1/8th oz of shot, which is nice, it gives you a buffer margin to fill the 1oz Lee mold in my example, and leaves you with roughly 10-12 extra slugs per 100 shells. And unless you've got a few sinkers or wheel weights laying around, you want the margin to make sure you run a bit extra buffer lead. 100 1 oz shotshells will leave you with roughly 97-98 slugs, because of losses to cleaning the lead/fluxing, and what just stays in the pot that can't be poured until it's mixed in next time.

So 500 rounds of Wallyworld bulk converted to slugs, you'd have recouped your costs on the Lee equipment in my example over two orders of the bulk Centurion @ $80 per 250, counting their $16 per 250 in shipping.

Although I do admit it will be a roughly 1290fps low-brass slug. So this is best with a broken in/polished Saiga with a known good gas system. If you want to lay in a defensive/SHTF stockpile, either reload some high brass once you're completely satisfied with your reloading skills, or just lay in a few cases of that Centurion for a rainy day.

However, if you go straight to scrap lead, bulk wads, bulk powder and primers, and once fired hulls bought from a local trap club, costs come down even further. Scrap lead is getting scarce at auto and tire shops, but even paying spot prices at the actual metal recycler for their lead scrap, you can probably do about as good as $9 for enough lead for 100 1oz slugs.

Edited by AJ Dual

I thought the 109 was a rifled barrel??

When I look at it I can see a slight twist...when I look through my SxS I see the smooth bore.

Nope, all Saiga shotguns come smooth bore

Yup, if it had a rifled barrel, it wouldn't be very subtle, you'd be able to tell by looking at the muzzle.

First day at the range with my S12 I shot up around 100 slug loads. All different types and makers. Very accurate with moderate recoil. The ammo ranged from new to some from the 70ties that was in poor shape. All functioned perfectly. The sights were dead on at 50 yards out of the box. So far the Remington "Slugger" load has been the most accurate but not by much. The Wolf slugs are excellent and have lighter recoil.