This is why I stay out of the woods and away from the tall grass....

An important message for the outdoorsman!!! Please read!

Ya'll need to forget about those itty, bitty snake-proof boots and

find yourself a full snake-proof SUIT.., AND HAT!!!

The Ohoopee River where this big rattler was killed is outside the city of Vidalia Georgia which is located in ( South Georgia)

near Lyons Georgia . Oh, for reference, the guy stands 6'-2". Seems there's been a boom in the snake population there.

rattler.jpg

My fellow friends and family,

We have killed 57 rattlesnakes on two separate Ohoopee River trips this year. since mid May. Not one has buzzed! We provoked one fair sized boy with a stick and he coiled & struck at the stick a couple of times before he buzzed up and rattled. The purpose of this explanation is that I have been hearing the same from fellow farmers and hunters in regards to the lack of warning with rattlesnakes.

I had lunch with a friend today and he offered a theory about the fact that these buggers aren't rattling anymore He raised pigs for years and reported that when he would hear a rattlesnake buzzing in the sow pen, the sows would bee line to it and fight over the snake. For the uninformed, pigs love to eat rattlesnakes.. Therefore, the theory is they are ceasing to rattle to avoid detection, since there are plenty of pigs roaming the countryside. I have a neighbor farmer wife who was bitten 3 weeks ago 2 times by the same snake without any warning....she spent 5 days in ICU, in Savannah after 22 vials of anti-venom she is back at the farm and still may lose her foot or worse yet her lower leg.

The days of perceived warning are over. Keep your boots on and use a light when out and about. As you all know, one can pop up just about anywhere! You may wish to forward this to anyone that would be interested.

Here's whats funny about this. People kill rattlesnakes when they make an alert rattle. (which is intended to deter potential predators/dangers) So now that we're killing off all the ones that buzz, the ones that don't survive and continue to breed. I know what your thinking " kill all them snakes theys evil!!" But seriously.....hows that working out? See any smaller numbers? Looks like all your doing is kill off the ones that want to let you know of their presence and avoid conflict. It's not that snakes are becoming more aggressive and setting up more clever ambushes. Most animals including evil rattlesnakes live in a simple world: if it's smaller than me I'll eat it, and if it's bigger than me I'm afraid of it. This isn't a local issue either, rattlers all over are stopping their alerts. Some claim it's from predation of ferral hogs, other say it's from increased persectuion by encroaching development. Point is, when we step into the woods/ prarrie/country, we're stepping into the wild, and snakes are other dangers are part of it's wonder. Why change that? And if you succeed what will be left? Face it, your pet goldfish would eat you and your entire family if it was big enough and given the oppertunity.

. On a side note that is one big ass rattle snake, and will make a fine pair of boots, wallet, and a matching hat band!

http://articles.sfgate.com/2001-07-22/news/17609260_1_rattle-snakes-venomous

http://davidasteen.blogspot.com/2011/06/are-rattlesnakes-rattling-less-because.html

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74119.html

• Like 5

Nice example of a basic optical illusion. The guy is holding the snake out on a stick some distance in front of himself, making it look much bigger than it actually is. All fishermen know this trick. poolingmyignorance is right. Fewer and fewer rattlers are rattling, because the ones that rattle a lot get killed off and the ones that don't, get to breed and pass on their traits.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

I have personally seen a dead rattler here in NE Okla years ago that was a 6 footer.....

One was reported to be seen crossing a road near here a few years back and it was said that the head was crossing the shoulder line of the road as its tail was crossing the center line.

I would not doubt the story as in that area there is not a lot of human encroachment yet.

Rattlers and cotton mouth snakes can and do get pretty big.

The black rattler out in AZ wasn't rattleing 25yrs ago. It's not a new thing, just more widespread. But it is a lil frieghtening. Guy on Mount Graham got bit, flew him to Tucson, to the expert. The, now dead guy, was the expert.

Stay Alert, Stay Alive. Things are a changing.

Was hiking along a gravel access road at Red Top Mt. State park here in GA. not too long ago, when I heard one of them rattling pretty close. It was one of those steamy, 95 degree plus days, and I guess it heard me before I heard him. I didn't stick around very long to find it either!!

Rattlers and Water Moccasins are fairly common here in GA....

Edited by Jpanzer

Its been my experience that the rattlesnakes dont want to confront you any more than you want them.... make lots of movement in the brush so they can sense your coming and they will usually leave.

Cotton mouths (water moccasins) and copperheads on the other hand, are more aggresive snakes and will come after you. I had a moccasin chase me off of a creek bank after I started casting my lure out near it trying to get it to go away.

Again, these are just my experiences.

Nice example of a basic optical illusion. The guy is holding the snake out on a stick some distance in front of himself, making it look much bigger than it actually is. All fishermen know this trick. poolingmyignorance is right. Fewer and fewer rattlers are rattling, because the ones that rattle a lot get killed off and the ones that don't, get to breed and pass on their traits.

I think it looks a little bigger than it actually is, but this is one BIG ASS rattler! The tail is touching the ground and he's holding it almost head high. I dont think hes holding it far enough in front of him to make that much of a diffrence.

Glad there arent too many rattlers here, never seen one but everytime I go to the mountains Im reminded of that Croc hunter episode where he was "somewhere" in the Appalachians (I think NC too) on a rocky hill side ABSOLUTELY covered up with diamond backs. This comes to mind evertime I see a rocky outcrop in the woods!

I really feel sorry for people that let a few little snakes and bugs scare them away from nature. :lolol: You all should really try it. Nature is very enjoyable and relaxing.

What do mean "You All"? Except for the OP there was no hint in any post here that anyone is scared away from nature by anything. In fact there's quite a bit to indicate "we all" spend a lot of time outdoors despite any dangers. Are you just making this up as you go along?

• Like 1

I looked, but couldn't find the origin of the word "Ohoopee". So I'll have to assume that's the noise a person makes as they are jumping strait up in the air after stepping over one of these bad boys. :lolol:

Like I said, the eMail was sent to me. If you read the more info link at the bottom they talk about the snake being 6"06" I think. I am not scared of snakes or the wild, I just respect both. The day you quit is the day you wind up like Steve Erving...

I really feel sorry for people that let a few little snakes and bugs scare them away from nature. :lolol: You all should really try it. Nature is very enjoyable and relaxing.

What do mean "You All"? Except for the OP there was no hint in any post here that anyone is scared away from nature by anything. In fact there's quite a bit to indicate "we all" spend a lot of time outdoors despite any dangers. Are you just making this up as you go along?

Posted by Az.

Does that clear it up? :lolol:

If the OP was misunderstood he may try using the quote function so people dont take parts of his post as his own words. It would be more clear if anything copy and pasted was quoted, then anything he added would be clear.

Edited by Chevyman097

Its been my experience that the rattlesnakes dont want to confront you any more than you want them.... make lots of movement in the brush so they can sense your coming and they will usually leave.

Cotton mouths (water moccasins) and copperheads on the other hand, are more aggresive snakes and will come after you. I had a moccasin chase me off of a creek bank after I started casting my lure out near it trying to get it to go away.

Again, these are just my experiences.

Chasing after you because you were casting a lure toward it.......did you ever think maybe it was following the lure that was inevitably being retrieved in your direction? Snakes eyes are poor....it oviously couldn't see the fishing line...maybe your heat signature. Kinda like a story I've heard about a mioccasin charging a boater that shot next to it with a s22. Snakes don't know what guns or fishing polls are.....instead it's more likely in the 22's case that the spalsh next to the snake frightened it into thinking an aquatic preadator was near and it headed toward the fnearest cover ( the boats shadow).I remember living in Arizona, and a neighbor demonstarting to me how "vicious" scorpions were by putting one in the sun and showing me how it raced toward him...( it was actualy racing for the nearest refuge from the blistering sun which happened to be his shadow) Really people seem to bestow upon snakes a supernatural intellegence and malevalance.

Edited by poolingmyignorance
  • Like 3

Posted by Az.

Well, you have cleared up one thing. You can't understand a simple question. :rolleyes:

We get them all the time around here. Not only is an Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake the largest rattlesnake in the world, but the largest venomous snake in North America. I've got a few pics from one or two just as big from my AO. I'll post pics next week when I get back to my computer. They can strike 2/3 of their body length btw.

Edited by MT Predator
  • Like 1

Posted by Az.

Well, you have cleared up one thing. You can't understand a simple question. :rolleyes:

There really is no question. Unless you cant understand a statement.

By you all I mean anyone who is scared to go out and adventure the world bro. You asked what I mean by you all, but I really dont see any questionable aspects in my post. Read it again. Then read it again.

I also have given you enough to understand what I said and what I mean. if you cant understand it there is no answer.

Posted by Az.

By you all I mean anyone who is scared to go out and adventure the world bro. You asked what I mean by you all, but I really dont see any questionable aspects in my post. Read it again. Then read it again.

I also have given you enough to understand what I said and what I mean. if you cant understand it there is no answer.

I was going to say something, and then I suddenly realized I don't care anymore. Later.

I think it looks a little bigger than it actually is, but this is one BIG ASS rattler! The tail is touching the ground and he's holding it almost head high. I dont think hes holding it far enough in front of him to make that much of a diffrence.

He is holding it out a bit and it appears bigger than it really is but that is still.a big ass pit viper.

• Like 1

Posted by Az.

Chevyman097, please read the title of the post:

"Ohoopee River Rattlesnake From an email sent by a friend here in GA"

I did not say any of this, it all came from a friend here in Georgia. Just like the title says. It's a simple snake story, quite trying to make it a pissing contest. No one here, including me, has said that they are afraid of the woods.

Edited by Azrial

There was a hypothesis about how predation from snakes drove primates to develop stereoscopic vision and monkeys specifically to develop color vision. Subsequent evidence hasn't supported it, but I think it's fair to imagine that, deep in our primate brains, there's an instinct for sidestepping snakes.

That's my excuse anyway.

Posted by Az.

Chevyman097, please read the title of the post:

"Ohoopee River Rattlesnake From an email sent by a friend here in GA"

I did not say any of this, it all came from a friend here in Georgia. Just like the title says. It's a simple snake story, quite trying to make it a pissing contest. No one here, including me, has said that they are afraid of the woods.

No one is trying to start a pissing match. All you PoePoe can rest easy today. :lolol: Just saying what I said. I feel sorry for people that are scared to go out in nature due to a few bugs and critters. Whoever said it is not my worry. :haha: