Norinco Hunter / Galil Clone

I was just doing some shopping before picking up a pistol at one of my favorite gun stores when I came across this rifle. I'd never heard of a Norinco Hunter before, but a cursory glance suggested it, like my Saigas and SSR-85c, was a bona fide AK Bush-whacked into an embarrassing "sporter" configuration. I did my homework and decided to put it on my low-priority "to-get" list.

I was at the store a few months later and saw the rifle hadn't sold. I decided to play cool and get a few bucks knocked off the sticker price. I asked to see the rifle.

"Sure thing," the salesman said, "Just so you know: it doesn't take standard AK magazines. My buddy came in to buy it yesterday but decided not to when he found out."

Now I had him! I knew it would use a regular AK mag, but if he thought it didn't I could use it as leverage. I made small talk about it and indicated I was familiar with tinkering with AK magwells and would be in a good position to judge how much of a hassle it would be for me to do it myself (and consequently how much that work would be worth to me). This gives him the idea to show me that the mags don't fit, so he grabs an empty surplus mag from the box. Click. It fits. He decided it must've been a fluke so he grabs another. Click. It locks in too.

"Maybe they don't feed, and that's what the problem is," I suggest, trying to segue into having to install a bullet guide.

"Let me check," he says as he grabs a box of Wolf and disappears through the back door to the range.

BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM

I don't know if I hosed myself on it or if the salesman saw me coming a mile away, but it was about $400 out the door.

For $400 that would be my in a heart beat. I usually see unconverted hunters go for that price.

The salesman's friend probably thought they were like Polytechs. Polytech AKs have their own mags and only those will work.

Edited by Arik

Arik, I misunderstood. I thought you meant on the x39 mags. Didn't know that you were talking about .223 since the OP was about a sweet a$$ x39.

Dr.Thunder, after looking at the pics again, I think I am drooling even more now than I did the other day. That thing just flat out rocks. ESPECIALLY because it's a x39!!! Have you tested it yet??? Nevermind. I just watched the second video. Very nice work!

Edited by 2ndAmendican

jeez thats hot!

you will find it out shoots everything you have. i still have the original rear flip sight on mine and can bounce tennis balls across the range at 75+. they are very well made.

hmmm, i've got one more laying around that may get your treatment!!

• 2 months later...

While wearing a new type of contact lenses that seemed to impede my ability to focus on the front sight, I decided my gun needed a red dot. I've since gone back to my old contacts, but an optics mount seemed like a good idea. This setup doesn't co-witness, but I'm not too worried about it. I'm working on a QD solution for the red dot.

Though I think my method is a bit different than his, this was inspired by smartbomb's quad-rail solution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZj39xwqgFs

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks to DrThunder88 and his great videos I have started my own conversion. I just ordered the rest of the parts I needed to complete job. I have attached some pics will see if it worked. post-41646-0-76324300-1333478697_thumb.jpg this is what I started with. I will post more pics as time progresses.

Thanks DrThunder I just hope it turns out as good as yours. here is a better picture of the receiver block my machinist friend really likes what he does

.post-41646-0-45404500-1333546458_thumb.jpg

GOB,

I still have old furniture and hardware, solid pieces but could be re finished.

I just picked up a hunter type 2 i believe, I paid 375.00 looks like it has been a in a closet.I would like to a svd type build I have a machinist friend that can mill me a adapter would you have the measurements from yours still , and for the muzzle break is there enough meat to thread on or did you cut it back and thread it and repin the sight.

Thanks for the info guys I will just give my friend the stock like you said Jex1 then he can copy it .So what kind of groups you guys getting out of this rifle from what little info i have been reading seems to one of the more accurate ak style rifle,Do you think this is just as good as the Veper rifles .