I live in Cook County in IL, which has the assualt weapon ban. I keep my Saiga 12 at my parents home since they live just outside of the county. It's really lame that they have these restrictions here, but until they change I guess I have to follow them. I wondering though if there are any loop holes such as making my converted saiga legal by taking the pistold grip off of it termporarily just to store it. Then if I want to shoot it (outside of the county) I screw it back on and away I go. Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm sick of storing it anywhere besides my own home. Also, I can't find a list of the assualt weapon ban rules that apply to the saiga 12. Any help is appreciated.

I'll anticipate the response "Move somewhere else" and say I plan on it, but it's not possible to move for another 2 years due to job/house/wife responsibilities. For now I'm stuck in Crook County ;)

My advice to you is to keep the gun like it is at your parents house. Of course have a gun that you can have legally where you do live. Visit your S12 as much as possible. And start drinking heavily until you can move. :smoke:

Edited by DogMan

Saigas are a no go in cook county. You can't do anything to make them leagle in Cook county. Check out illinoiscarry.com and the illinois state rifle association website for good Illinois info. Things are looking good for Illinois. 2 lawsuits for concealed carry are moving foreward. The Chicago range ban was just lifted. SKSs are now legal to register in Chicago. These things just happened in the last month. Instead of moving, it's better to stay and fight for your rights and the rights of other Illinoisans. We need all the help we can get.

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2010/12/cook-countys-blair-holt-assault-weapons.html -- Cook county ban info

I'd rather move than stand and fight - people here are too far gone. Most people around here hear the word "gun" and get nervous. It seems like anyone I talk to about gun ownership in my area completely agrees with gun control laws. I can't count how many times I've brought up gun control laws with someone around here and they've said "well why do you HAVE to have that type of gun? Get a different one, then.." They dont get it.

I can fight for the next 10 years so that I can keep my Saiga 12 in my own home, or I can move 6 miles south of here over the dupage county line and shoot my gun all I want. Luckily my wife's job allows her to work remotely and my company has a big office in Denver. I'm thinking we'll end up there in 2 years.

Another thing that I think is strange is that I accidentally used an FFL in Cook County to accept the transfered gun. It was converted at that point so definitely not legal there, but they still transferred it to me. I found out just afterwards that the FFL was actually in Cook County.

The response to "move" is not necessarily just so you can excercise your constitutional right which BTW is being denied, but these areas will become death zones when the resident shit heads decide to riot and they do it knowing full well that nobody will be armed. England, France, Greece, Philly all come to mind.

• Like 1

Curious, I live in Kane and shoot my saiga12 in Cook County. Is it just in Chicago or all of Cook? I have the fake conversion, does that mean I am shooting it illegally? I plan on getting the real conversion done but maybe not, if that's the case. Oh and the reason I shoot in cook is because there is no ranges by me that allow rifles or shotguns by me. Closest is that one and the next one is in Wisconsin that is more than an hour away. Shame on me for not knowing the law on this but I just thought it had to be 922R compliant. Next thing is how can the gun stores in Cook sell AR's AK's and pistol grip shotguns if they are illegal in Cook. Interested to pick your guys brains. I am thinking its only in the Chicago city limits?

Edited by Browndog

Browndog, Which shops sell AK's and pistol grips in cook? I dont know of any.. If you mean GAT, they're not in Cook County. They sell Saiga 12's, Drums, AK's, AR15's, etc but since they're outside of Cook County they can. If you're shooting any shotgun with more than 5 round capacity in Cook County it's not legal. I've been to 2 ranges in Cook with my converted Saiga and MD20 drum (without knowing it was Cook County) and nobody said a thing. I even called ahead of time and spoke to the range owner and asked if I could bring a 20 round drum for my shotgun and his response was "sure as long as you dont break anything".. So I brought it and used it there. It seems like it's either not really enforced well or not everyone is aware of the laws. It only takes once to get busted though - not worth it.

Browndog, Which shops sell AK's and pistol grips in cook? I dont know of any.. If you mean GAT, they're not in Cook County. They sell Saiga 12's, Drums, AK's, AR15's, etc but since they're outside of Cook County they can. If you're shooting any shotgun with more than 5 round capacity in Cook County it's not legal. I've been to 2 ranges in Cook with my converted Saiga and MD20 drum (without knowing it was Cook County) and nobody said a thing. I even called ahead of time and spoke to the range owner and asked if I could bring a 20 round drum for my shotgun and his response was "sure as long as you dont break anything".. So I brought it and used it there. It seems like it's either not really enforced well or not everyone is aware of the laws. It only takes once to get busted though - not worth it.

Yea gats doesnt allow shottys or rifles above 22 in the range. Not sure if I should post the name of the place but its in DP, it may actually be unincorporated. They sell AR's for sure because I was looking at them, not dead positive on the AK's. A old friend of mine used to shoot his AR there he still might I have lost touch with him, hes the one that told me about it. Maybe your right on that they dont care or enforce because I had conversations with the guys with my saiga laying on the table next to us and nothing was said. I am going to get a quote tomorrow on getting my saiga converted (different place) so I will ask the guy while I am there and report back what he says. Either way that blows friggin crook county. Do you know anywhere to shoot the saigas in Duper, Kane or Lake counties?

I live in DuPage County in IL. I purchased a new Saiga 12 in June, I was able to shoot the stock configuration at a range in Des Plaines which is in Cook County. I converted it with telescoping, folding stock, 12, round mag, quad rail, AFG fore grip and shark break muzzle break. I think I got all the bases covered on the CC Assault Weapons Ban list of no-no's. So no more shooting in Des Plaines (i.e Cook County).

Article II Range opens in Lombard at the end of August and I plan take advantage of this great new range to put my converted Saiga 12 through it's paces. Article II allows Long Guns, Shotguns (slugs only) and Pistols and has 24 new state of the art indoor range positions. So you won't have to go too far outside Cook County to enjoy your Saiga 12 very soon.

Edited by Russell Aerospace

Article II Range opens in Lombard at the end of August and I plan take advantage of this great new range to put my converted Saiga 12 through it's paces. Article II allows Long Guns, Shotguns (slugs only) and Pistols and has 24 new state of the art indoor range positions. So you won't have to go too far outside Cook County to enjoy your Saiga 12 very soon.

Cool! the old Gun world? I look forward to that. Drive prolly the same for me but itll be nice having another option.

I'd rather move than stand and fight - people here are too far gone. Most people around here hear the word "gun" and get nervous. It seems like anyone I talk to about gun ownership in my area completely agrees with gun control laws.

Yup. I used to live there. Came back from my first class at Gunsite and found my dysfunctional boss had fired me, cratered the company a few months later. Decided to get a job in a free state, and chose NM over Texas because the NM job paid for the move. That was 10 years ago. I do miss Gino's East, but not Daleyville or Crook County.

Maybe things will get better, but it won't be by voting in Crook County. You can send money to the SAF or ISRA legal fund while living in Dupage or Lake county.

• Like 1

If a town in Cook county is large enough it can qualify for "Home Rule". Home rule allows a town the ability to govern itself with more power. A home rule town can undue the Cook county ban within its town limits if it chooses, or they can make it worse. Chicago is in Cook county and their laws are more restrictive than Cook's. Confused? You should be. This is why Illinois state law needs to preempt local law on firearms. Don't forget, gus shops and cops don't always know the law. Just because you don't get caught doesn't mean it's not illegal. Alot of Illinois cops are pro-gun and probably wouldn't bat an eye at a Saiga legal or not. Its rumored that some won't even bat an eye at concealed carry (mostly if you're white and at least middle aged. Illinois is messed up, but the courts have been finding in our favor for the past 2 years or so.

Its rumored that some won't even bat an eye at concealed carry (mostly if you're white and at least middle aged.

I was never stopped and searched on the street by the cops in the years I worked in downtown Chicago or the decades I lived in Illinois. I did some work inside courthouses and such where you had to go through a metal detector, but other then that I could have carried a small gun in an ankle holster or smartcarry, etc everywhere. Concealed means "concealed". Don't look like a thug, don't act like a thug, don't hang around with thugs or go to places full of thugs and you will have very limited encounters with the cops and they will not be aggressively negative. As one sage put it "Do not go stupid places, with stupid people, and do stupid thing!"

It's risk, but being an adult means you get to choose the risks, legal or otherwise, you are willing to choose to accept.

However it's a lot safer just to move somewhere where you are allowed to protect yourself in public and own what you want.