Very nice pics indeed!

I've been to AK once, and loved it. It was only a trip to Sitka, for fishing and sightseeing, but a better two weeks I've seldom had.

We toured the extended area on a chartered on a little 26' Parker inboard, up and down through the islands.

The wildlife was incredibly abundant, saw four species of whales in one day, including the rare Blue whale and Orca were everywhere.

Saw four legged critters galore, and the ubiquitous Puffins & Bald Eagles were the mainstay for the ornithology enthusiast such as I.

Probably the best adventure I had was when I stripped down and pretended to be a bear in a river during a salmon run.

I managed to grab, by hand, a bigger King, than I caught on rod/reel.

I'm only 5'10", but I had that fish by the gills lifting him as far as I could, and his tail was still thrashing the water. :devil: Fucking Eh!

We fished extensively, I landed barn door halibut just shy of 300lbs, took me a hlaf a hour to haul his ass up outta 400' of water.

Came up one fish shy a Salmon grandslam, grandslam is catching atleast one of each species, King, Red, Pink, Chum and Silver, I didn't get a Red aka Sockeye :ded: Bummer!

Damn! I wanna go back!

Awesome pics! As much as I hate snow, I want to visit Alaska some day.

Besides, you can't beat a state that's abbreviation is "AK". :D

For being the official AK state, I sure do see a surfeit of ARs up here.

Heard a joke recently.

Q:"How can you tell a conservative from a liberal in Alaska?"

A:"Conservatives carry .44mag and larger, liberals .357 and lighter."

• Like 1

Thank you for posting.

I have 45 states down, and AK is on the top of my list to get to since the beginning of this journey. I fear that I may get lost there....my kinda place, I guess.

I am not jealous, and I dont envy....

I guess I just hunger for it....

edit to add - BEAUTIFUL pictures, Sir. Thank you, again.

Edited by Ben Vampatella

Absolutely breath taking. Ak looks wonderful in the summer, but it's the winters 30ft snow drifts that scare me away.

The 30 foot snow drifts are largely a myth. There are some places that get really heavy snow particularly the passes through the Coastal mountains such as Thompson Pass on the road to Valdez or Turnagain Pass on the way to Kenai or Seward; the snow lane markers for the plows are on 20 foot stakes there and in mid-winter it is like driving through a tunnel. Mostly driving is pretty uneventful if you have a decent vehicle and tires and have the good sense to just not go sometimes. When I first got here in the '70s it was an article of faith that nothing in Alaska closed due to weather, but as the State has become more populous, you just can't get the roads plowed quickly enough to move the school busses and get people to work on time when there is a heavy overnight snow, so especially in Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau, sometimes things close or start and quit times get staggered just so the plowing can be managed.

Citrus County, Florida

Tip for you; bring up a bag of very fresh citrus, give it to the front desk of whatever hotel you stay at. A huge % of people up here have never had truely fresh oranges in their life, and can be quite appreciative of the lesson. When I was working at the hotel with the Continental Airline crew, they used to bring me up oranges from Tejas whenever they were in season. The hotel quite liked those crew, and the various perks they got were pretty impressive.