Best handguards for the saiga 308?

I decided to modify my stock handguards by drilling holes in them....and I hate it.

I don't have a steady enough hand so it turned out terrible.

Was thinking about just picking up another stock handguard but was also wondering what is out there that is inexpensive (under $70) and durable.

Ps if you have a stock handguard avail for sale let me know

It's a great excuse to buy something new.

I've been looking at the SGM handguard with the integrated rails and the tapco handguard.

I know tapco has the best warranty ever and their about $20 cheaper and I the idea of removing rails that I don't want to use.

Just wondering how durable they are.

Unfortunately there are non local that I can try out

I use to use the DPH trirail which made the gun even more front heavy than it already is. I have since switched back to my vented factory HGs. If you're looking for a railed HG I suggest the SGM trirail which is considerably lighter than the aluminum ones.

The handguard retainer and modified upper gas tube alone are over $70......that doesn't answer my question

Well, it's the best answer for quality parts on your rifle. Go cheap and regret it, also know as "Buy cheap, buy twice". Just save up for the parts you want. It's not that much more. Besides, you can do the gas tube mods yourself if you have a dremel and save $20-25.

Edited by Jim Digriz

It's not cheap but you can add an ultimak lower railed handguard. I have one on my .308. I had to purchase longer 10-32 screws to allow for the thicker barrel on the barrel clamps but it is rock solid and gives you lots of options. The model I got was the ACR SS.

Can you post some pictures?

The one that came with it... Just my humble opinion.

Tapco... If you want some paper thin mystery plastic on your gun.

Could do AK handguards, but if you want to do that right you're going to have to drill the barrel. The conversion piece doesn't really allow for quick and easy cleaning, which makes it a form-over-function add on part. People can trash me if they want for holding this opinion. I've owned the stuff and dealt with it for enough years to know what's junk and what's decent, and don't feel like holding back on blasting what I've found to be a waste of money/time.

Yeah I'm good with the stock ones also, the villain posted some pics of his stock hg slant cut and vented looked good thinking of doing something similar. Don't remember the tread post though .

Look at tread title , another 308 handguard tread

Edited by funkytrain

Stock HG... Cut, drilled+tapped for rail at 9 o'clock, aluminum heat shield installed internally,...

post-20073-0-08000200-1318422510_thumb.jpg

pressure switch for light crazy glued on (haha- we'll see how long that lasts!), sanded and painted...

post-20073-0-47476000-1318422528_thumb.jpg

I have another stock front HG already cut in the same manner, no heat shield or rail installed- just a coat of OD green paint... Maybe I'd trade for yours, or you could try the same with yours in spite of the drill holes you already put in.

Trust me- it's probably salvagable.

Before the UltimAK. I'll have to look which of these HG's I have spare. It's for the smaller rifles though.

At any rate, this will show you the angles I used... Just remember there is a stud on either side of the gas block, that the stock HG has a channel that slides onto... Very nice, and not something I wanted to get rid of. There is a lot of metal reinforcing that front end, so cut carefully!

Before the UltimaAK, I was thinking of drilling or dremeling vent holes on that top portion anyway, so I'm interested to see what happens if you still fool with yours.

post-20073-0-83942100-1318423023_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...