Hey everybody. I'm new here, so if it's not allowed to ask, just tell me, but I'm wanting to know about what kind of a Saiga 12 I should pick out for a Turkey Gun... That's right, I'm wanting to hunt turkey with a Saiga 12.

Right now, I have a Stoeger 2000 that deals out a larger amount of recoil. It kicks like a mule. I don't like it, so I'll be trading it in soon, and my main plan is to trade it in on a Saiga 12. I currently have a few other Assault Weapon type platforms; some DPMS AR-15s, and a sweet WASR-10. I don't have an Assault-Weapon-Shotgun, so I'm going to pick out the Saiga for that job. "Get it while it's legal."

So anyways, I've got around 17-21 turkey that are on my property every once in a while. They're pretty dim because I was able to walk up about 35 feet behind them before they decided to walk away. It wasn't until my dog ran at them that they flew off... But I can get close enough that I'd probably be able to use a Saiga 12.

I'm not getting anything but a Saiga is the thing. I do, however, need advice on what barrel length to get. I may be trap shooting/skeet shooting, too, so I don't know what length barrel to get. Should I get a threaded barrel also? For using chokes and the like? Or do I even need a choke?

Should I get the biggest 24" Saiga, or a smaller one, or choose between the 22" and the 19" with threaded barrels?

I'll probably be adding rails and a foregrip to my Saiga also. Any suggestions there?

What can make the best dedicated Turkey gun setup for a Saiga 12?

Edited by Russell Clank

You shoot turkeys in the head. If you shoot them in the body chances are they will run off and you will never find them. This is why "turkey chokes" are tighter than those used for any other purpose....your target is very small.

I use my S-12 for Turkeys. I did nothing special to it, other than screw on an extra-full turkey choke and sight it in with 3in shells.

For a sure kill with a shotgun, a turkey needs to be hit hard with lots of lead. That said, most dedicated turkey guns are choked down pretty tight to achieve that. You also want some heat behind it so one should use a 3" load minimum. Sure, turkeys have been taken with 2 3/4" but I think more have gotten away because of the load. I use a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag that is overbored, ported, and choked very tight, with 3 1/2" loads. I've never tried it with my S12. Yes, aim for the head and neck as their feathers can absorb/deflect shot depending on the range. Good luck!

Edited by MT Predator

My main turkey gun is a Mossberg 835 too. Great gun for turkeys.......but I mainly use 3" shells. I haven't used my Saiga for turkey hunting yet, but after dove hunting with it I can say without a doubt that you will have to get yourself a choke. The pattern gets real wide after about 25-30 yards without one. You have to have a pretty tight pattern for turkey unless you can call them in really close. I have often thought about getting one of the adjustable poly chokes to put on mine.You will also need to get a smaller capacity mag to be legal. They sell 2 rounders, or you can make your own by cutting down an AGP mag and use a new butt plate.

My main turkey gun is a Mossberg 835 too. Great gun for turkeys.......but I mainly use 3" shells. I haven't used my Saiga for turkey hunting yet, but after dove hunting with it I can say without a doubt that you will have to get yourself a choke. The pattern gets real wide after about 25-30 yards without one. You have to have a pretty tight pattern for turkey unless you can call them in really close. I have often thought about getting one of the adjustable poly chokes to put on mine.You will also need to get a smaller capacity mag to be legal. They sell 2 rounders, or you can make your own by cutting down an AGP mag and use a new butt plate.

Does the round limit even apply to turkeys? I didnt think it did, although I dont turkey hunt.

As far as the mag you can make a block for your factory 5 instead of cutting down a new mag.

Does the round limit even apply to turkeys? I didnt think it did, although I dont turkey hunt.

As far as the mag you can make a block for your factory 5 instead of cutting down a new mag.

LOl..... I had to go look..

I think you are correct, at least in Ks anyway. I know I had to get one when hunting dove. That Tom will see me and a MD 20 next spring by God.021.gif

Welcome to S12.com! 032.gif

I'd definitely get the 24" S12 for turkey, and I'd want to be able to choke it.

There are several ways, internal/external, to choke a Saiga, several aftermarket adapters & chokes.

If I was building a 24" turkey gun, I'd probably dress it in a K-Var NATO length buttstock, a Hogue pistol grip and a SGM tri-rail, and I'd have the whole gun dipped in a nice camo pattern.

Also...

Fuck you and your "Assault Weapon this" & "Assault Weapon that", that is Libtard anti-gunner nomenclature you're spouting... Stop!

Your obviously well indoctrinated, lets see if we can break you of that.

scorn.gif Real 'assault weapons ' are fully automatic, military firearms, and their numbers available for transfer are extremely limited, and over priced, due to Federal legislation.

Rant Off.

Again... Welcome to S12.com! wink.png

• Like 1

Can you tell me who sells a 24" S12? I havent bought a Saiga yet, but think I would like a 24", however all Ive been able to find are the 19" barrels. Also can you buy different sized barrels for the S12's? All of the online suppliers Ive seen dont sell S12 barrels at all.

Edited by JaredC

Can you tell me who sells a 24" S12? I havent bought a Saiga yet, but think I would like a 24", however all Ive been able to find are the 19" barrels. Also can you buy different sized barrels for the S12's? All of the online suppliers Ive seen dont sell S12 barrels at all.

Centerfire Systems sells them the last time I checked. They had 19", 22" and 24" in stock.

No one regularly sells S12 barrels. The guns come in complete so finding spares is tricky. Currently there is no regular manufacturer of S12 barrels. You might get one custom made but it will be really expensive and not quick change (like an 870).

They're out there, at least they were, they'll be back... Just gotta keep cruising your LGS/pawn shops and online retailers.

No, there are not any spare barrels for the S12s, much less choices in length.

Outside of what K-Var and a very few others offer, spare parts for our Saigas are few and far between.

Centerfire Systems is, 'Out of Stock - Accepting Backorders', if you really want one, I'd place a backorder.

Edited by ChileRelleno

+1 Scout Joe! Mine just like that is a perfect turkey gun right out of the box. It's longer full choked barrel throws an really tight pattern, and is also a great gun to take to turkey shoots and shoot paper. Throw a 20 rd drum in there and walk up to the line...lol! Bet you will see some people say WTF!? haha.gif

As for the 24" guns now available, the do have threaded barrels and will accept choke adapters, which will take full and extra full turkey chokes, as well as rifled chokes for sabot slugs.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/43443-s-12-winchoke-adapters/

Mine has a 19" barrel and I feel confident with the pattern out to 40 yards. I use a choke adaptor and an extra full. One of these years I may try a special turkey choke. Lots of vendors on here that can set you up for birds. Since this picture was taken it's now got a hogue grip. Sounds like those 22" full choke barrels hold a great pattern.

IMG00063-20100519-0721.jpg

Also...

Fuck you and your "Assault Weapon this" & "Assault Weapon that", that is Libtard anti-gunner nomenclature you're spouting... Stop!

Your obviously well indoctrinated, lets see if we can break you of that.

scorn.gif Real 'assault weapons ' are fully automatic, military firearms, and their numbers available for transfer are extremely limited, and over priced, due to Federal legislation.

Rant Off.

Again... Welcome to S12.com! wink.png

Haha, I only said "Assault Weapons" because this is pretty much my first time signing up at a gun forum. I didn't know if people here were liked US Government interpretation of firearms, or if they were more like me... Trust me, I'm not indoctrinated, not in the slightest. I'm just a FNG.

+1 Scout Joe! Mine just like that is a perfect turkey gun right out of the box. It's longer full choked barrel throws an really tight pattern, and is also a great gun to take to turkey shoots and shoot paper. Throw a 20 rd drum in there and walk up to the line...lol! Bet you will see some people say WTF!? haha.gif

As for the 24" guns now available, the do have threaded barrels and will accept choke adapters, which will take full and extra full turkey chokes, as well as rifled chokes for sabot slugs.

http://forum.saiga-1...choke-adapters/

From what I've read so far, 24" is my favorite choice. The thing is though, I'm thinking of putting a Polychoke or a Monster Break on the Saiga, just cause. I want a Factory Saiga with the threaded barrel, not an after-market mod job, because I don't really live near anyone who could fix up the barrel for that. Seeing the choices on Saiga-12.com, all I can notice is that the 22" and 19" are the only ones avalible with threaded barrels. I'm guessing I'll have to go with the 22" one.

Mine has a 19" barrel and I feel confident with the pattern out to 40 yards. I use a choke adaptor and an extra full. One of these years I may try a special turkey choke. Lots of vendors on here that can set you up for birds. Since this picture was taken it's now got a hogue grip. Sounds like those 22" full choke barrels hold a great pattern.

Glad to see that 19" is working out nicely for you! Gives me confidence that I'll be able to pick up a 19" just incase they don't have any 22" avalible at my local gun stores. I'm thinking of getting a similar setup, but probably keeping the Factory buttstock. But again, glad to see the Saiga can take turkey!

So as to chokes, should I get a Polychoke? Monster Break? What for turkey at 35-100 yards?

Here are a couple that I built for busting clays and i'm sure they would work fine as Gobbler Getters....

24" IZ-107 w/PolyChoke

The top one is the wife's and the bottom is mine. I think they look kind of sexy with a rifle handguard and a WARSAW stock.

post-22401-0-79226300-1320638592_thumb.jpg

Here is the wife's after welding up the nueterville holes....

post-22401-0-30359500-1320638671_thumb.jpg

So as to chokes, should I get a Polychoke? Monster Break? What for turkey at 35-100 yards?

That's going to be a stretch, even with my 10 gauge sending 2 oz of #4 shot out of a 3 1/2" nitro mag.

Odds are you won't find a 22" fixed full choke gun, since they were imported before RAA. For realistic distances and properly choked a 19" gun would do just fine, just make sure you pattern it with the ammo you're planning on using like Nailbomb said.

Just curious what you are using for loads?