Would you prefer 8 or 10 rnd mags?

A couple of dealers in my area insist that a shipment of Saigas will arrive sometime in Sept.

Ask them for their source on this claim, stand back and watch as they blubber, jive and piss themselves trying to come up with the most nondescript and ambiguous answer possible.

"Buuuuh, I heard it from this guy at da last gun show who is an EXPERT on da Saigas..." *drool*

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of dealers in my area insist that a shipment of Saigas will arrive sometime in Sept.

Ask them for their source on this claim, stand back and watch as they blubber, jive and piss themselves trying to come up with the most nondescript and ambiguous answer possible.

"Buuuuh, I heard it from this guy at da last gun show who is an EXPERT on da Saigas..." *drool*

Let's wait till Sept

I realize it just a rumor but both of these dealers have sold tons of Saigas. And both said the same thing: no high cap mags. I want to encourge anyone thinking about making the high caps to go ahead and do it. I'm looking into modifiing a current 20 rounder to the 308 Saiga. I know a welder and he has a shop availabe for welding aluminum or steel. He doesnt know guns but says he can make thin welds. Will post the results.

High cap owners: Whats your experience? I heard the Saiga 20 has different mags for the two different lenghts.

12ga mags handle both shell lengths. One of the reasons I sold off my 20ga, but I do miss it :)

The S20 does indeed have 2 different mags for 3" and 2.75" shells. I've never had luck making 2.75" rounds work reliably in my 3" mag.

Also, if you are going to make some s20 mags, I'd deffinantly be in for some 8 or 10 rounders.

Welcome Kevin! This sounds like great news. My vote is for 10 rounders with ribbed sides like a normal AK mag. If the last round BHO becomes a reality then so be it. Untill then I suggest people learn how to use the BHO that came with the shotgun or buy one from Jeric. I would be happy to test your prototype as well as purchase at least one of the finished products if proven reliable, just let me know.

Same. Count me as a vote for 10rders. I'll gladly test a few units if you want, too.

:super: At $ 40 a piece either 8 or 10 rds would be great. Personally, I would prefer the highest capacity possible that you can make RELIABLE , as long as it doesn't drag on the ground like a bull's balls at the county fair . If you can make a bolt hold open follower for the mag, then you could use a Swift Lever Safety with the bolt notch similar to the safety selecter on the Yugo m92 Krinkov for use with the bolt hold open yugo AK mags ( Last round fires , bolt locks open on mag follower, trigger finger flips safety on without hand having to leave the pistol grip , notch in the safety lever holds bolt open while you change magazines then after new mag is seated , just flip safety off with trigger finger which will release the bolt to go forward and pick up the next round . This is why the new m92 yugo krink kits have a safety selecter that has the finger tab further to the rear and is notched like the Swift lever that Black Jack industries sells . ( The older Yugo AK kits M70 etc have the regular safety selector without notch ). So , yeah , bolt hold open follower would be sweet as long as its reliable , waffled would look nice , but either way , at that price for 10 rd mags I'll take at least 5 just for the first order . Thanks . :super::osama::killer:

Hello:

This is my first post on this site, but I'm not a newbie. I have been browsing this site for over a year now. I don't care how many rounds you make the magazines, just as long as they are reliable, rugged and reasonably priced. If you can keep these factors in mind, you'll sell every magazine that you can produce.

I hope this becomes a huge success for you. This would put an end to the "supply & demand" issue with these magazines. Good luck!

Josh

Edited by dodgedakota64

I am concerned about "mag bloat" with a 10 round magazine, so I'm inclined to be in favor of an 8-round magazine. Adding a 2-round extension would be enough for me when I need more and bloated mag syndrome is not a consideration.

Ribbed or waffle makes no difference, as long as the magazine's rigidity is not sacrificed. No condom jokes coming from me...

Still, if you go with the 10-round magazine, I'm buying anyway.

Major kudos to you for taking this on.

-P.

Edited by Prophet

You really need to do either 8 OR 9 round magazines.

NOT 10 rounders.

You need to respect Izhmash. They are not stupid. Mikhail Kalashnikov has been designing firearms for more than 60 years.

As an engineer, looking at what the Saiga 12 was originally intended for, there would have been no reason for them to want to leave out the capability of the magazine holding more rounds than 8, but, they did.

They stopped at 8 rounds for a reason. There is some play in the 8 round magazines, that allows you to load to 9 rounds.

Do not do 10 round magazines. That is re-inventing the wheel for no reason.

:eek: someone actually threw down the scratch?

what a great suprize to come back to.

8 or 10 makes no difference to me, just as long as they aren't 100+ each.

I'd like to say count me in for 3, I may be a month or two late, I'll be finishing paying off my car about the time you estimate getting them done so I might have the money by then.

I know there are alot of people out there who want things now but unless someone comes up with a way to make them sooner and cheaper but I think whenever you get them made you stand to make a good sum of money, and if you do get this going good don't overlook making some regular AK mags, or High Caps for the larger calibler AKs from Saiga and Vepr(I think they have one in 308). More US parts are always welcome I think.

Edited by ATD
Whoever produces a reliable, reasonably priced 8 round mag will get rich.

No doubt about it.

Look at this in a business sense.

Izhmash/Saiga already makes an 8 rd mag that is reliable.

If these are ever imported here legally and in a large quantity Z1500 made 8 rd mags would be competing with Izhmash/Saiga.

10 rd mags are a good business decision because nobody else makes them.

After making 10 rd mags and being successful,re-evaluate the market to see what others are doing. Then possibly make the 8 rd mags.

You really need to do either 8 OR 9 round magazines.

NOT 10 rounders.

You need to respect Izhmash. They are not stupid. Mikhail Kalashnikov has been designing firearms for more than 60 years.

Do not do 10 round magazines. That is re-inventing the wheel for no reason.

The 10 rd mags would be made to fill the demands of what customers want,not to disrespect Mikhail Kalashnikov. He and others at Izhmash are not stupid in anyway. They made 5 and 8 rd mags because of regulations and what made good business sense at the time. I'm sure they have the knowledge and capability to make a drum mag if they wanted to.

We know what happens to shotguns that have drums.

Re-inventing the wheel is when you make the same item (8 rd mags) again.

Its time for a new and improved wheel.

Many people here thought about making mags and these would be my reasons to go with a 10 rd mag.

edit:typo

Edited by acetomatoco

I think it would be great if someone did produce U.S. made Saiga magazines.

Not to put a bad spin on this but there are a few things I would like to bring to peoples attention.

I have been doing a lot of research on injection molding in terms of its cost and materials. I wanted to undertake this project a long time ago.

1. They only like large orders (10,000) units is a small order. Its all about cycles, 100,000+ units is what they like.

2. The cost of tooling the actual molds for this application (assuming a quality mold material) is atleast $30,000.00.

3. The springs for each of these are going to run atleast $1.00 a piece unless a really large run is in order. There is a high setup free for that style of magazine spring with all those bends.

4. The Saiga market is small. Very few of those shotguns were imported in comparison to the AK-47. The market is limited and most people do not want to play $80.00 for a magazine.

5. I understand someone is going to import more Saigas, but when that happens and how many will be an issue.

The point I am getting at is your production costs assuming 10,000 magazines and 30,000.00 molds, plus materials + springs; is around $50,000.00 or more and you have not sold any. Combine that with a limited market, I hope you have enough people willing to purchase these things.

$40.00 per magazine x 10,000 = $400,000.00, thats a nice return but do you have enough people who will purchase these things?

Additionally, getting molds to produce functional parts is rough. They are going to hit you for modification expenses before you know it. Its like the computer industry, we will program it for you, but all the modifications additional features and bug fixes are going to cost you.

Good luck, I hope to see some killer mags.

Ian

Yep :super:

I've already decided that I'm OK with just breaking even. Makeing a lot of money would be nice but at the end of the day I just want some mags, and I've got some money in the bank not doing anything.

Kevin

I'll have quotes in for the springs and feed lips this week. I sure hope the springs are only $1, my guess is they will be $3.