post-22401-0-30235600-1324257888_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-01630900-1324257914_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-65257900-1324257932_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-87459100-1324257950_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-93234700-1324257970_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-28249500-1324257989_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-23284600-1324258014_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-33583100-1324258036_thumb.jpg

Not sure which was tortured more, the S12 or Chad. This was done with Federal Multi-Purpose bulk. It started failing around 500 rounds and we just kept raising hell until we were out of ammo. I'm not sure if it was the melted plastic or the extreme heat. Handguard was getting gooey and oil was leaching out of the trunnion rivets near the barrel hood. It will live to fight another day.... this bitch is tough. She has likely seen more high volume drum dump action than most other S12s on the planet.

• Like 3

Where's the auto plug?

Had to take it out. I could have adjusted it in some, but it was more foolproof to just throw the factory unit in there on wide open. I had the Autoplug adjusted where it was 1/2 turn in from failing when clean and fairly cool. It was good to know that I could run as long as I did with it on the edge of not getting enough gas.

Looks like alot of fun

It was!

That is one dirty slut. What hapend to your thumb?

That wasn't my thumb. That was an old friend that said he wanted to shoot a Saiga 12. He shot it.... a lot. That triangle folder was punishing him, but he never stopped. He even kept going after the charging handle busted the end of his thumb open! His adrenaling was flowing and he was having a great time in spite of the pain.

Wow! Were you running it pretty wet? That sure is a lot of goo!

That isn't lube. The only lube was on the bolt, hammer, and rails. The gas block, puck, and MD FH were clean and dry before the hell raising began. none of those areas have ever seen lube. What you were seeing on the FH, gas plug, and puck was from the ammo. It is a waxy substance that I assume is a mixture of carbon fouling and plastic from the shot cup. I have never seen it this abundant on a muzzle device

ETA:.... and I have never seen anyone raise hell with a Saiga 12 for hundreds of rounds like that either.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Video or it didn't happen. JK

I have some, but it sucks. The gun had already been through ~400 rounds before i decided to do a really fast 200 round dump video. I didn't make it through the whole 200 round dump before it started to fail. I think that the trunnion and asscociated parts start to expand to a degree that it changes the way the bolt locks up. It was so hot that I would have to push the bolt forward to close it. After it failed for a couple of drums and cooled off during the failures, it ran fine again. I think the failures allowed it to cool enough to function again because it was back to raped ape mode for the last few drums.

SWEET!

Technical question, how are you cleaning the flash hider? My Warthog has a lot of lead and other residue but wasn't sure the best way to get it off.

I haven't cleaned it yet, but did flake a little of it off with my thumbnail. It feels just like wax and the FH was clean underneath.

I took a shell apart last night, just to see exactly what was in there (Federal Multi-purpose). The powder didn't look like any powder that I have seen before. It was flake-like and semi-moist to the touch. The shot cup was very thin and rubber-like. I can see why Federal gets things so nasty now.

ETA: The shot seemed much larger than I remember Winchester Universal looking. People can say what they want about using birdshot for HD, but I do not think a man of average or thin build would live through a few gut shots within 10 feet. this stuff will rip through a 5 gallon bucket at 60+ feet. I'm sure it would be a nightmare for those in the ER, if the victim made it there without bleeding out first. Lots of little holes made by blunt shot ripping through the skin and flesh would certainly offer a challenge.

I may do a well documented test with Winchester next time. The Win hulls are soft, but it runs a little cleaner. I needed a good excuse to do a barrel hood extension on this one anyways. I may try a test with Remington Sport in the future as well.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Your buddies shoulder has got to be hurting today. Nice pics000.gif

He loved it though. He said he would send a pic today if it bruised up good.

We looked at my shoulder and there wasn't a mark on it. I'm not sure why, but it never bothers me. Tough old bird.... ;)

We looked at my shoulder and there wasn't a mark on it. I'm not sure why, but it never bothers me. Tough old bird.... wink.png

+1 on the pics. Chad and I were talking about the session and he made a very enlightening comment after I expressed my disappointment with not making it to 600 rounds of low brass without failure. He said that he knows people that have had guns for years and years and never put that many rounds though them, and others that never fired that many rounds in their life, period. I never thought of it that way. I wish that someone had a Remington Auto or Benelli that I could turture alongside the old girl. So far, I have nothing at all to compare this weapon to when it comes to other auto shotguns and their potential reliability with large quantities of bulk birdshot in a short time.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

We looked at my shoulder and there wasn't a mark on it. I'm not sure why, but it never bothers me. Tough old bird.... wink.png

You know how to hold and handle the weapon for less bruising. It took me a few times to figure it out, but no way could I do 500 rounds,horror.gif

You know how to hold and handle the weapon for less bruising. It took me a few times to figure it out, but no way could I do 500 rounds,horror.gif

+1 I have a little trigger time ;)

Very nice!

You obviously got that hotter than I ever have to have plastic and carbon fouling like that, Its impressive to say the least. To see a test of durability like this is awesome. Makes me wish I could have drums.

As far as the going through hundreds of rounds thing, its been done on here befor and its been documented befor. I don't know if I've done 500 round in a single sitting, But I've certainly logged in over 350+ with mixed trap and high brass.

On that note, I found the best way to get off the plastic fouling from muzzle devices, and some of the internal parts is to let it soak in gasoline.

I have not tested it but I suspect the Carb cleaner that you can buy at autozone and comes in a paint can would also be quite effective. I have two of those sitting around I really should try that some time, but theres always some leftover gas from draining a tank around here that needs to be used for something...

NB,

If my new GoPro camera ever arrives.... I will have the capability to film longer videos. YouTube also upgraded my account to allow up to 30 minute clips, so some insane testing video will be shot in the new future. I plan to do some POV shoots too, but the testing shoots will be static runs. Boring to some, but very exciting to those interested in seeing a weapon's limit of function. I will soon do a barrel hood extension and that will hopefully narrow failures down to FTE only. I love this stuff!

u should do a write up for the barrel hood extension for those of us who dont know how to.

Federal always gunks up my piston and plug like that, remington never does,

and neither buckshot nor slugs do it either.

how do you clean ur piston and plug when u get it like that?

NB,

If my new GoPro camera ever arrives.... I will have the capability to film longer videos. YouTube also upgraded my account to allow up to 30 minute clips, so some insane testing video will be shot in the new future. I plan to do some POV shoots too, but the testing shoots will be static runs. Boring to some, but very exciting to those interested in seeing a weapon's limit of function. I will soon do a barrel hood extension and that will hopefully narrow failures down to FTE only. I love this stuff!

Looking foward to it.

As far as the barrel hood, I have only ever had mag related FTF issues, and even then its only with select ammo and mags. My S-12s hate winchester bulk pack, and winchester 00 buck.

Though I have not tried winchester universal in some time. Its not like all winchester ammo causes issues, My guns LOVE the Winchester Xpert Fasteel Goose loads.

In my 200 round video, I had one shell catch on the barrel hood, and it just barely did. During this session, I had another catch on the barrel hood. The ammo was Federal. The barrel hood extension is absolutely a pain to get perfect, but eliminating that one failure per 200 is worth it to me. When I have that completely flawless 200 round video, it will be a great day, and for that moment, all of the work that I have put into it will be worth it. Then I will have to do a 300 round flawless video.

I can't find any other 100 round and up low brass bulk ammo dump videos on youtube. Just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this on other video hosting sites.

I look at all of that junk and can't help but wonder... how'd the douching of that dirty whore go?

I haven't touched I yet. I'm still marveling at how it was spewing melted plastic out of the muzzle.

WOW! Dang'it man... Niiiiiiice!

I've fired off well in excess of 400 rounds in a day, never did I get mine that freaking hot eyes_droped.gif

And I've never had plastic/wad fouling like that, carbon galore clogging ports and damn near welding the puck in, but never that much plastic.

Not with Federal bulk, Win SuperX, Centurion or anything else... That nasty lil'bitch was HOT!

Reminds me of the old joke, "How do you know when a whore is full of cum?" "When'er nose is running." Yer bitch's nose was running.

My first trip with my S12, my shoulder looked a bit like that... Only because I wasn't shouldering it solidly into the muscle, never had a problem since correcting that.

Need to teach your buddy to bring it in tight and lean into it.

100rnds12g.jpg

Nose was running for sure....

I think about some of the posts about people's "concern" about their weapon and I can't help but chuckle inside. They would blow a gasket if they let me shoot their S12 the way I shoot mine. These weapons are extremely tough and there is absolutely no need to baby them. After all of the hell that I have raised with this one, all looks fine and it runs like it loves the attention.

In my 200 round video, I had one shell catch on the barrel hood, and it just barely did. During this session, I had another catch on the barrel hood. The ammo was Federal. The barrel hood extension is absolutely a pain to get perfect, but eliminating that one failure per 200 is worth it to me. When I have that completely flawless 200 round video, it will be a great day, and for that moment, all of the work that I have put into it will be worth it. Then I will have to do a 300 round flawless video.

I can't find any other 100 round and up low brass bulk ammo dump videos on youtube. Just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this on other video hosting sites.

How hard is the barrel hood extension? Im having an occasional shell get hung up on the hood. Dont really even know where to start on it

Edited by renegade331

How hard is the barrel hood extension? Im having an occasional shell get hung up on the hood. Dont really even know where to start on it

I would rate it the hardest thing that I have done on a Saiga 12. I have done AK100 folder conversions and hand crowned and threaded barrels with no lathe, among other less significant things like full trigger jobs and welding and blending holes in the receiver. Extending the barrel hood makes those other procedures look like a DIY conversion. Very tight in there and things go straight to hell in a fraction of a second. Lockup is affected by modifying the hood. If you want it to look flawless and factory, prepare to spend a lot of time on it. I do not claim to be a good welder. This may be much easier for welders that are very experienced.

There are 6 surfaces on the hood that need to be fitted after the welding. Halfway through the undertaking, I was questioning the effort vs reward. It is not for those who give up easily.

Here is a look at the first one I did prior to final fitting and polishing.... the first two pics are prior to any work.

post-22401-0-32512900-1324643418_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-84511900-1324643508_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-80402600-1324643566_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-68220300-1324643621_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-46877100-1324643644_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-99009400-1324643695_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-96675500-1324643722_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-12766500-1324643750_thumb.jpg

Edited by evlblkwpnz