Ok all you 10mm Glock fans I need some input

I just put a G20 on layaway and I've been looking around the web to find info on ammo and performance. Unfortunately information is all over the place. From "This will stop a tank" to "whats the point its just a little more then a .40 with higher ammo prices" So those of you who have one I;d like to hear your experiences. Also I have a few questions...

If I'm paying 10mm prices I'd like to get 10mm performance. Who makes ammo that performs like a 10?

Is lead ok for a Glock? Or do I need a different barrel?

Is the unsupported chamber an issue with full power 10mm loads?

Whats ammo is good against 2 legged predators and 4 legged predators?

Is there a website that has info on ammo and ballistics?

Should I change anything out? Springs? Barrels?....

To get the performance you want from a 10 over a 40 all you can and need to do is push the bullet faster. Jacketed ammo is more than likely the way to go for that. I shoot a lot of lead out of my 40 but I’m using a very tame load (just under 1000 fps) and haven’t had any issues with leading up the barrel. On my 9mm I have an aftermarket barrel I use most of the time because it tends to have more issues with the lead.

I don’t know who has what in factory loads (CorBon tends to have some hot loads) but I’m sure you could find a load that meets your needs or reload and get it that way.

If I'm paying 10mm prices I'd like to get 10mm performance. Who makes ammo that performs like a 10?

Corbon or Double Tap Ammunition and Buffaloe Bore make excellent 10mm ammo, there's no comparing it to .40 S&W when using there loads. I'd also suggest getting in to reloading for even more loads.

Is lead ok for a Glock? Or do I need a different barrel?

I've used Double Taps 230gr WFNGC Hardcast rounds for hunting, zero issues but you might want to super scrub the barrel.

Is the unsupported chamber an issue with full power 10mm loads?

No. I've run some loads through that have been pretty ridiculous and still have all fingers and eyes accounted for. That said remember that velocity doesn't equal stability and accuarcy

Whats ammo is good against 2 legged predators and 4 legged predators?

That's a pretty tough call and you'll get alot of mixed reveiws on this. Most people like to use the heavier rounds for hunting since penetration is much deeper, in humans these tend to over penetrate and zip right through (not what you want). When I first started hunting I used a 155gr Barnes TAC XP load from DT and it dropped a doe at 70y with one shot, come to find out later on that they call that one of there self defense rounds. I'm sure it has enough penetration at close ranges to hit a large size games vitals....if not, fire the other 15 rounds and see how that works out!

Is there a website that has info on ammo and ballistics?

Google "10mm", pull up a chair and get ready to waste a couple days, or buy yourself a reloading manual. Corbon gives info on all of there ammo (to include bullet drop/drift) fired out of a 10mm. I beleive the other manufacturers do to.

Should I change anything out? Springs? Barrels?....

This is a matter of personal opinion. I've left it stock on the internals and have had zero function issues through thousands and thousands of rounds. I can't even tell you what my round count is on either my G20 and G29. Work on your trigger reset/control and your options are unlimited.

I have sent the slide off to One Source Tactical and had an RMR with BUIS put on the slide, it quickly became my favorite gun again! Check'em out when you get a chance.

Edited by YARP

Hi Arik...

I love my G20 Gen 3.

I load my own cartridges in lead and jacketed. Mostly universal clays and 2400 with excellent results. I have a LoneWolf barrel for both my G19 and G20. For 99 bucks, and 30 seconds to swap it out, it's worth not leading the stock poly-rifled barrel. Also I don't have to hold back the velocity as much.

The G20 will handle any factory "hot" load without issues of chamber support and IMHO is the most pleasnt to shoot. The delta elite and CZ clones were way torque-y in hand...

I have Winchester Black Talon LE issue stuff from the 90's that will make short work of dangerous encounters. The new silvertip is supposed to be the same but it seems a little tamer. I only shot 2 rounds from the box to compare to my BT's.... way expensive!

Buffalo Bore makes serious hunting rounds as well as full power loads that replicate the original intent. You can find lapua original loads on gunbroker every once in a while. Hornady 180 grain loads are nice and hot. The 165 grain are just 40's in a bigger case. The federal loads are "10MM Lite".

BVAC from cheaper than dirt dot com was cheap and good for plinking but now the price is up againg. I got 250 rds at a time for less than $100. Just shot it up for the brass in 2 steel matches.

So anyway... I suggest that you reload and you can always have safe,hot rounds. Get a LW barrel if you want to use lead. Don't worry about the chamber support. If you use factory ammo it won't be an issue. If you reload, use the right powder. You may get the "bulge" in the case. But the 40 gets it much worse... mostly due to using a faster burning powder. And, no.... don't change anything. Shoot the heck out of it.... :)

Have fun!

rich

I have a G20C and If you want some cheap decent power 10mm target rounds Georgia Arms makes some 10mm reloads @ 1275fps. It's like $21-22 for 50rds.

But that's just .40S&W power. Suppose it's OK for target shooting, though.

Scott, this ammo would be equivalent to target ammo. Not every round has to be running hot.

on top of that, I haven't found to many "target" loads for the .40S&W that are running at those velocitys. Medium to premium ammo? yes, but not target.

Fair enough. (FWIW, even that's about 250fps hotter than my shooting buddy loads his competition .40s)

If you were to get into a 10mm, I would reload. There's just no other way to affordably shoot the beast.

Yes I'm quickly beginning to realize this. I now have my eyes set on a s&w 1006

Arik, purchased my issue S&W 1076 when leaving Dept. Carry Glock 29 daily. Georgia Arms as stated previously good supplier of target rounds. I buy by 1,000. Brass is excellent for reloading. Always liked the Corbon or Hornady loads. Reload with Hornady bullets. Have used the Buffalo in S&W 610 4 inch on boar hunts. Becomes an addiction. When 1st issued S&W 1076, liked round so much bought a Bren 10 that only had couple mags fired. (Cheap) NOW those have gone totally crazy in price if found. Weird how a gun now one wanted could go up so much and become a collector piece.

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty then, just picked up my G20!!!! Woooohoooo!!! Came with night sights, titanium firing pin, extended slide stop, and custom trigger. Not sure what "custom" means lol. It's a used gun. Have a question. When I loaded the mag the 15th round was a pain in the ass to insert but I know that happens sometimes. Next, when I went to insert the mag it was damn near impossible to get It to lock. To the point where I had to push up on the mag on one end and push down on the gun from the other. Even then it just barely locked. Is this normal?

Alrighty then, just picked up my G20!!!! Woooohoooo!!! Came with night sights, titanium firing pin, extended slide stop, and custom trigger. Not sure what "custom" means lol. It's a used gun. Have a question. When I loaded the mag the 15th round was a pain in the ass to insert but I know that happens sometimes. Next, when I went to insert the mag it was damn near impossible to get It to lock. To the point where I had to push up on the mag on one end and push down on the gun from the other. Even then it just barely locked. Is this normal?

Arik, that's perfectly normal. Both of my G23 pistols are the same way. I pretty much have to slam a full magazine in on a closed slide. To ease this issue, as well as reduce wear on my mag springs, I generally load 12 rounds instead of 13 per mag.

It's a Glock, why aren't you carrying it with one in the chamber (ie, loading with the slide locked back)?

He may be. Plenty of people like to carry full capacity - hand load a round into the chamber, then insert a full magazine.

It's a Glock, why aren't you carrying it with one in the chamber (ie, loading with the slide locked back)?

He may be. Plenty of people like to carry full capacity - hand load a round into the chamber, then insert a full magazine.

^THIS^

I load one in by hand and a full mag so I get the +1. I could strip it of the mag but then I gotta take the mag out and add another round to it.

I left the mag locked and loaded for the last two days and now it seems easier to insert. Still requires a bit of persuasion but no where near as before

• 1 month later...

The very best value in full-power factory 10mm is that offered by Underwood Ammo: http://www.underwood...m/10mmauto.aspx .

Underwood's all I buy for my G20. Their 135gr nosler rnds, (~1600fps out of a stock 4.6" barrel), are my preferred SD rnds. Weak crap such as Remington, Winchester, and even Hornady doesn't even feel like the same caliber.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

To add to my above post after rereading Arik's original...

Current factory Glock barrels are just fine for shooting full-power 10mm. Some of the gen 2s had significant case-support issues, but the gen 3s do not.

Unjacketed lead rounds are not recommened for Glock barrels, because they've got polygonal rifling and therefore lead fouling has nowhere to go, (no grooves), as it does in a conventional, button-rifled barrel. You can fire lead rounds from a clean Glock barrel safely. Polygonal rifling is superior for jacketed rounds, (more accurate, higher velocity).

Aftermarket barrels are really only advantageous if you reload and want to maximize the life of every single piece of brass. I do have an extra barrel for mine, but it's a 6" Glock barrel, to maximize the velocity of every shot for woods carry and hunting.

If I were you, I'd leave the springs, trigger, etc alone and learn to shoot quickly with the standard 5.5 lb pull. Of course, Glocks are even more customizable than Saigas, so there are a ton of options. ymmv.

• Like 1

That's a good way to damage your extractor. To carry +1; chamber 1 from the mag, then top off and insert the mag. wink.png

• Like 1

Buffalo Bore 180 grain has done me very well. Anything other than that I've found to be very anemic and not fun to shoot at all in comparison. Shooting full power 10mm at an indoor rangs ----> People will be coming over fast to find out what you're shooting

Buffalo Bore is fine ammunition, but it's a hell of a lot more expensive than Underwood, which is also full-power. Here's one of several chrono tests:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deEmzTPVj-o

If you pause and look at the list pictured at the end of the video, you can see that BB and Underwood 180gr are extremely comparable, (BB average velocity: 1327fps, Underwood: 1303fps). The biggest difference is; Buffalo Bore costs about twice as much. wink.png

I recommend watching that guy's other 10mm vids as well. He chronys just about every 10mm round out there, so you know which brands are meeting their velocity claims, and which aren't even close, e.g. Double Tap.

*edit* Buffalo Bore's 180gr JHPs are $29.21 for a box of 20 rnds: http://www.buffalobo...ct_detail&p=114

So, I wasn't exaggerating. Buffalo Bore is more than twice as expensive, (except for Underwood's Golden Saber rnds, those are exactly half as much per rnd as BB).

Underwood has several more choices available in that bullet weight, their price varying from $25 per box of 50 TMJ, (total metal jacket), rnds, to $36.67 for 50 Golden Saber JHP rnds: http://www.underwood...m/10mmauto.aspx

• Like 1

My personal favorite for SD are the 135gr nosler JHPs: http://www.underwood...intboxof50.aspx

~1600fps, (from a 4.6" barrel), and 767 ft lbs of energy, for ~$0.55/rnd. No other manufacturer even comes close to that kind of 10mm performance at that price point.

Kevin Underwood, (who owns Underwood Ammo), is a great guy to deal with, as well. When his website had security issues last year, he was extremely responsive and let all his customers know what was going on in near real time. Once greater security was in place, (only a few days), the few customers who had some bogus charges on their CCs as a result of the initial breach were given personal apologies as well as $50 credit in ammo.

I was one of those customers, and I was quite impressed with how Kevin handled the situation. He reminds me of Greg Queen of CSS. Yeah, that good. wink.png

Buffalo Bore 180 grain has done me very well. Anything other than that I've found to be very anemic and not fun to shoot at all in comparison. Shooting full power 10mm at an indoor rangs ----> People will be coming over fast to find out what you're shooting

First time I touched off a round in my 460 Rowland at an indoor range everybody stopped and looked at me. It was hilarious. "Magnum" autopistols are a hoot. smile.png

The best way to get proper ammo for your hand cannon is to handload. I love that my 45 ACP dies allow me to load everything from bunny-fart barely-major target loads to 45 Super to 460 Rowland.

Edited by XD45
  • 4 weeks later...

Buffalo Bore uses literally THE cheapest HPs on the market, "Montana Gold", which are not ideal for SD use imo....they fragment and shed/shred jacket even at low velocity. Doubletap is overpriced and doesn't seem to correctly advertise it's velocities.

Underwood is definitely the best full-power 10mm ammo right now, priced well and great bullets and velocities. Hornady is the best of the commercial factory loads, and Cabelas even carries Critical Defense in 10mm. Still I would only consider Hornady medium strength loads, albeit still ideal for SD. I like the 200gr and the 165gr CD.

I would keep the pistol stock, imo.

I love my 29 and 10mm, it's a great choice.

I used to carry a g29, and wouldn't mind owning another. I did the KKM precision barrel and lone wolf springs, and yes there was a slight improvement in accuracy and a lighter trigger pull but I would probably leave it stock if I did it again. Never encountered any reliability issues stock or modified but I would always trust the factory glock more than one thats been tinkered with.

I put tons of lead through it at the range, solid american eagle I picked up a ton of the big boxes cheap. It got it dirty but nothing normal cleaning regimen didn't take care of. The KKM barrel still looked like new after 500+ rounds of lead. I also shot a ton of the various bagged georgia arms reloads, never had a problem

for 2 legged predators i had cor-bin and hornady CD. fired 20-30 of each but mostly just kept it loaded, never had to use it. g20 15rounders are great for the g29 crowd as backup magazines.

for 4 legged animals I would probably recommend a rifle, but if you want a handgun for it the g20 is the ticket in an autoloader. alternatively, clarks custom cartridges makes an incendiary round you could use to set bears on fire.