most reliable magazine

would the most reliable magazine be a sgm tactical with a bullet guide installed and then mod the mgazine to work? what do you guys think is there a more reliable setup or is that it?

reason i said this is because on the sgm mag it has a plastic bullet guide and i feel like it will eventually wear out

if you are going with a bullet guide and you want the most reliable. get weigers or bulgarian 10's. both similar price range to SGM but both mil-spec. if you need american parts go with sgm. not mil-spec but good mags.

I just got some surplus byrle mags. I had to grind around the rear locking lug to get them to fit. They are polymer reinforced with metal. They fit nice and tight in the mag well. Feed great with dinzag bg. Got them from RTG for $25 each. Pretty nice. Were listed as used but look new to me. They also look right with the Saiga.

• Like 1

Circle-10 and Tapco Galil magazines are both 100% for my rifle with a bullet guide installed. I've had some luck with 35-round steel Galil mags, but the weather-beaten, used ones I've acquired have been hit-or-miss. While half of them will feed all the time and all of them will feed at least half the time, the dysfunctional magazines will typically fail if wobbled to one or more of the extremes of movement that the magwell allows.

I went with the Tapco Galils and they are functionally flawless so far.

Now, I haven't dropped'em from a building or run over them with a tank (or a truck), but, they look and feel fairly stout and well made. They lock up very well and feed FMJ, HP and SP ammo without a hitch.

Frankly, I'm pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect they would work as well as they have.

I'm happy enough with them that I'm going to add 4-5 more come payday. And, the payday after that, and, the payday after that...

-I have found that without doing the bullet guide, the surefire mags work the best for my Saiga 223, feed reliably, no issues whatsoever! The only reason that I haven't installed a guide in mine is that I have several of the surefires, and with them runing so well, I will wait till they wear out to change

• 4 weeks later...

Forgive me for b**tching, but I can't stand living in upstate NY! I'd love to just grab a few SGM 30 rounders, but unless they're the old pre-band steel ones, that's a no go. I really just despise the amount of work required to legally use what I'd call "regular capacity" magazines, what with installing a BG, modifying mags and all that. *sigh* sorry about that, had to vent....that being said, if anybody has any of those old steel Surefires they'd like to part with....

Forgive me for b**tching, but I can't stand living in upstate NY! I'd love to just grab a few SGM 30 rounders, but unless they're the old pre-band steel ones, that's a no go. I really just despise the amount of work required to legally use what I'd call "regular capacity" magazines, what with installing a BG, modifying mags and all that. *sigh* sorry about that, had to vent....that being said, if anybody has any of those old steel Surefires they'd like to part with....

Pardon my NY laws illiteracy: can you hacksaw SGM mags into "liberals-approved" capacity?

I thought it was one of the biggest selling points for them.

If I could have Izhmash/Saiga mag in 30 rounds capacity, I'd stop right there. Period.

My next pitstop would be Russian Bakelites in .223. O-ops, keep going...

Final stop: Magpul's PMAG.

"Minor" thing: it requires adapter...

Edited by Sgt. Raven

Pardon my NY laws illiteracy: can you hacksaw SGM mags into "liberals-approved" capacity?

I thought it was one of the biggest selling points for them.

If I could have Izhmash/Saiga mag in 30 rounds capacity, I'd stop right there. Period.

My next pitstop would be Russian Bakelites in .223. O-ops, keep going...

Final stop: Magpul's PMAG.

"Minor" thing: it requires adapter...

My understanding is that for a semi auto rifle like the Saiga, any mag with a round count higher than 10 is only legal if it's pre-ban.

The Beryl magazines are the closest I think we'll ever get to milspec Izhmash 30-round .223 magazines.

The Saiga-specific Izhmash mags (that were sold through that guy in the UK) are also rumored to be pretty weak and lack any steel reinforcement. I wish that the "real thing" used with the AK-101 series were even possible to find, but it doesn't seem like it.

I really wish that someone in the US would copy (both internally and externally) the combloc magazine design for plastic/composite magazines and start cranking them out in 7.62, 5.45, and 5.56. Tapco comes close, but their mags couldn't get any stranger looking, and have no reinforcements. Come on free market, where are you?

Edited by mancat

how do the polish compare to the bulgies?

Polish mags have steel front lugs and floorplates whereas Bulgarians have steel-reinforced front and rear lugs, feed lips, spine, floorplate, and floorplate attachment.

thanks. i keep my circle 10's never and issue.

Oh, yeah: my Tapco/Galil is wobbly as hell, and had to be modified (filed) to latch.

WTF?

However, it hasn't failed me (yet).

I'm on with mancat on comblock mags: my OEM ugly carrot "bakelite" (and plum-colored latter mags) in 5.45 never ever failed, and survived whatever was thrown at it.

Good point on reinforcements: Izhmash is not there yet.

---

P.S. Mag comparison (L-R):

Saiga .223, Tapco Galil/Golani, and Magpul's PMAG with windows.

post-28515-0-28009000-1330569998_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Raven

how do the polish compare to the bulgies?

Polish mags have steel front lugs and floorplates whereas Bulgarians have steel-reinforced front and rear lugs, feed lips, spine, floorplate, and floorplate attachment.

Pretty close.. Polish black have full steel reinforced front spine, as well as front feed lip area. The clear ones APPEAR to lack front reinforcement, but I don't have one and cannot verify this, but I can't see any in the photos on RTG site.

Edited by mancat

On closer inspection my four Beryl mags have a steel spine that reaches three or four inches down the front of the magazine. I don't know what the front feed lip area is, but if you mean the portion that fits under the feed ramp and extends back 1/4", thenI wrote that off as being part of the front lug reinforcement.

I would love to use my circle 10 mags but i do not want to alter them. The Israeli orlites run 100%. Maybe I will sacrifice one of my clear Cirle 10 and try it.

The very front corners of the front mag lip is all I had to modify on my clear 20 round Circle 10's to make them fit in my .223 Saiga. Of course I did file/dremel the mag catch on the rifle and rear of the mag well slighty. The Circle 10's lock up tight.

I had initially took some off the rear of the feed lips on a couple of the mags based on some tutorial I had seen somewhere, but it is not necessary with the Circle 10's, basically just take the little bumps down in on the top at the front of the feed lips. Basically where the arrow is pointing in Figure A in this .223 mag discussion on Dinzig's web site: http://www.dinzagarm...mag_options.pdf.

Edited by TJohn
  • 1 month later...

I know I am necro-posting and theadjacking at the same time here.

But I am trying to decide between an MSA adapter and surplus mags...

do the less expensive semi-translucent Bulgy mags (these http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16709) have all the steel reinforcement that the black ones do?

I am trying to decide between the two bulgys and beryls.

Thanks

Circle-10 smoke .223 mags are reinforced at the front and rear locking tabs. They don't have a spine or feed lip reinforcements. Beryl mags have a front spine and front feed lip reinforcement, but lack a reinforced rear tab - at least as far as I can tell. Mine don't appear to have any metal at the rear.

arsenal55620c.jpg