Looks like what Americans do to Saiga's today, the commies must of copied it from us.

Welcome to 2012, the Cold War is over.

But it does look a little mall-ninja-ish. It was said that the thing on picture/video is a mock up though. Just going to have to wait and see what will happen with it.

you're kidding me, my calender still says 1965, i call bullshit on you

• Like 1

Cryogenic chamber? lol

Looks like it has a rubber buttpad....I guess the (former) commies have gone soft.

Plus, the AK74 brake is so good it can never be improved upon???

I actually seen lots of picture of special units running around in Muslim south Russia with different ones than the usual 74-type (not like that long skinny one though). So I guess yes.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/rus/kalashnikov-ak-12-e.html

Kalashnikov AK-12 assault rifle is a newest creation of the IZMASH factory. It is intended to replace in production older Kalashnikov AK-74M and AK-100-series rifles for domestic use (by Russian army and LE), as well as for export. It was first displayed to press in January, 2012, and is believed to be still in development. AK-12 apparently stands for “Avtomat Kalashnikova, 2012”. Kalashnikov AK-12 assault rifle is planned to be available in two versions – “light” and “heavy”, with former adapted for cartridges like 5.45x39, 5.56x45, 6.5 Grendel and 7,62x39, and the latter for more powerful cartridges like 7,62x51 NATO. The main goal in development of the Kalashnikov AK-12 assault rifle appears to be to improve ergonomics and tactical flexibility of the weapon, while maintaining traditional high reliability and simplicity of the parent weapon. It is yet to be seen if Kalashnikov AK-12 assault rifle will live up to these expectations.

Kalashnikov AK-12 assault rifle is gas operated, selective fire weapon using traditional “Kalashnikov type” action with long stroke gas piston and rotary bolt locking. Barrel has improved rifling for better accuracy, and a revised muzzle brake with NATO-standard external diameter of 22mm, allowing launching of rifle grenades of foreign manufacture. The receiver is redesigned, key modification being new top cover of more rigid design. It is hinged at the front and opens up and forward for disassembly and maintenance. Top cover latch release lever is located at the rear of receiver, right side, behind the safety. Safety / fire selector unit is also revised, to provide more ergonomic ambidextrous switch with 4 positions (Safe, Semi-auto, 3-rd bursts, Automatic). Safety / selector levers are located above the pistol grip, at both sides of the gun. Charging handle is moved forward to be removably attached to the gas piston, and can be installed on either side of the gun. New side-folding, telescoping adjustable stock is provided for AK-12. Kalashnikov AK-12 assault rifle features integral Picatinny rail at the top cover, and additional accessory rails at the top and both sides of the forend. Bottom section of the forend is available in two versions – with rail (to accept various ‘tactical’ accessories like lights and foregrips) or plain one (to accept standard 40mm grenade launchers like GP-25 or GP-30). In “light” version Kalashnikov AK-12 assault rifle will accept all ‘legacy’ magazines in its respective caliber, such as 30-round AKM or AK-74 and 40-round RPK / 45-round RPK-74 magazines. Additionally, new, 4-stack, 60-round box magazine is planned to be issued for AK-12.

So much for blow back shifted pulse

Looks like what Americans do to Saiga's today, the commies must of copied it from us.

But it does look a little mall-ninja-ish. It was said that the thing on picture/video is a mock up though. Just going to have to wait and see what will happen with it.

Playboy calendars don't count.

Playboy calendars don't count.

what about my elvis calendar

image001.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like they took the features Americans have been adding to their AKs and Saigas combined with Galil features; folding stock aperture sight. They also made the safety more ergonomic and added a retractable stock like the AR. I don't see the charging handle so it's probably a mockup unless it's on the other side of the rifle.

Lo I don't see the charging handle so it's probably a mockup unless it's on the other side of the rifle.

It is next to where the dust cover hinges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s762mokKGpk&list=UUQoQVFWXdlmhaGoKVNSU8eA&index=1&feature=plcp

Edited by Gun Fanatic
  • 5 months later...
Finally, it appeared as a normal base for optics. Well, for fur. sighting line a bit longer. Too gud.

Approximate overall view cars:

Yes, I see.

Things I'm excited about:

• Hinged dustcover/rail
  • Receiver mounted sight
  • Ambidexterous thumb safety
  • Charging handle moved somewhere (possibly) more convenient
  • Possible pushbutton mag release

Things I'm disappointed about:

• It will never be available in the US

Everything else I'm moderately tepid toward.

they are currently working on a us civilian market version we will see though

I like the AK-12 that has been shown several times with 74M-style solid folding buttstock.

However I have not seen the 7.62x51NATO version demonstrated. I would guess it's probably still just on paper, based on the setup used for the Saiga .308.

Has anyone seen it?

I don't see it going into production if Russia is sitting on literally tons of small arms already. I do foresee the modernization or mission adaptation of the current platform though. Lots of pics on the net of Russian troops sporting AKs with Aimpoints, rails, etc. Here is a modified Polish SF AK in Afghanistan I have posted before. I didn't care for the angle of the stock but they were killing plenty of Taliban with them so it does the job.

polishsfak4qt6.jpgpolishsfak2mh3.jpgpolishsfak3wk0.jpgpolishsfak1oh8.jpg

• Like 2