Promag Drum Poll

To date, I haven't heard of any reliability issues from a promag drum after fitting it correctly to your rifle. The only negative thing I have heard is from people who didn't get the instructions or didn't read them and tried to run the drum without fitting it. So let's hear it. Have you ever had any problems?

Please only answer if you have a promag drum for the Saiga 12.

Edited by Nailbomb

for the cost difference, I prefer the MD20 to the promag 20.... but the litte promag 12s have a special place in my heart ( mostly cause no one else makes one or i'd be calling them crap.....still waiting for the Chaos minidrum or MD to make a 12....the size is MUCH more RL useful than the big 20s which are IMHO range toys )

• Like 1

I've had no problems what so ever with my 20 rd Promag drum. It has never failed even one time. It's been used in at least a dozen different S-12s. I like it better than the MD drum because it's slightly smaller with the rounded edges, Thinking about removing the load assist lever on the back to make it take up less room in a mag bag. It's not really necessary. The drum loads fine without using it.

Can't remember if it came with fitting instructions because I didn't have to fit it. They may not all be made tight so they need fitting to get in some guns, but I prefer to be able to use it in any S-12 I pick up, or loan it out to, without having to fit it to a particular gun.

I know a lot of people hate polls because they tend to get stupid results and go on forever. I think this one is put together very well to only get useful information.

• Like 1

Yes the ProMag will have SOME issues at first, but after keeping the drum loaded for 1-2 weeks before going to the range.. I haven't had a problem. Last time I went I went through it 3 different times and only had ONE problem (a double feed) but that was because one of the shells had a small sliver ripped up that jammed it in the barrel partially. After I moved the bolt back the drum had enough room to feed another shell in it. Made it a little weird to clean up but after I got the extra one out and slammed the bolt home it fired and fired without a single bit if hesitation. Maybe I got a good one? I did have to fit it to my particular gun.. but almost 99% of all the magazines I've purchased had to be fitted.

I know a lot of people hate polls because they tend to get stupid results and go on forever. I think this one is put together very well to only get useful information.

Thanks man. I plan to let it run for a month or two, then graph the results. Thanks for participating everyone!

I am about to send my 12 rounder in to promag the dummy round gets jammed in the drum body. I have spent a year increasing and decreasing spring tension off and on with no good results. I have heard nothing but good things from other people though.

I don't know about the 20 or 12 but the 10 round drum I have is a jam-o-matic.

It has yet to feed a single round correctly, they always get hung up on the edge of the chamber. My surefire mags work perfectly, and of course the Russian 5s also work perfectly.

Also, I have been ignored by promags customer service on enough occasions that I have given up.

Maybe the 20's and 12's are good but the 10's are junk.

The only problem I had was with the spring in the 10 rd drum, but it was an easy fix and no issues since that time with the 10, 12, or 20 round drums. I had purchased the MD 20 first so I already knew how to fit drum to the gun. I did get fitting directions with one of them, the promag drums, but not with all.

Thanks man. I plan to let it run for a month or two, then graph the results. Thanks for participating everyone!

You missed a don't own one for the third spot.

Also, I'll be more than happy to let it run a few months, but it too will be deleted.

You missed a don't own one for the third spot.

Don't need one there. The poll is for promag drum owners only. I put the don't own one to differentiate between the people that own one capacity drum, but not the other.

Also, I'll be more than happy to let it run a few months, but it too will be deleted.

Much appreciated bro. I hope I did not step on any toes running the poll. Should I have asked first?

How so? Fit, spring, feed angle, casting burrs hanging up parts?...

Fit was good right out the box but it will not feed. Had a few feed if I smack it around. Spring or casting flash problem I guess. Being promag I took it to the range two time and threw it back in the box. I guess I should try to fix it, just didn't want to spend more money to ship it back to promag and have them ship the same one right back.

I just got my 2 12rd drums today (along with my poly choke/flash hider).

They did come with fitting instructions but appear to fit well without modification. I hand cycled a full mag from each one with no issues.

I'll wait to see how they work for real before voting.

Surefire is SGM. they just updated the name to differentiate themselves from the flashlight company that started making magazines. People think the length of a stick mag would be in the way if you lay prone. Maybe they think the drum is more reliable.

Downsides: Clumsier to lock in, no 3" shells. Bulky and clumsy to carry in pouches.

If I found it reliable and owned one, I would probably have a 12 round drum for the nightstand gun. It is a nice size.

• Like 1