Trading 06 Saiga 7.62 for 2011 Saiga (Should i ?)

Hi all

Now a while back i bought a slightly used 06 production Saiga ,the gunsmith put a bullet guide in and

moved the trigger forward ,it shoots like a dream but has a few scratches and what not (which doesn't bother me )

anyway when i rang the guy to buy a Saiga 7.62 he had none in stock,but said i could buy his one

which is this 06 model,i did and have had it a few months and now out of the blue he e-mailed and asked if i wanted to do a straight

swap for a brandnew saiga 2011 i think ,he seems really keen to get it back ,said it had sentimental value but i mean he has heaps of saigas so why would he want mine back especially since its used .

are the new saigas built any different ,like quality wise ,my serial on my 06 rifle is HO61049xx and i read there werent that many of these

made in 06 ,its has the dimple ,extra y and the 3rd rivet (whatever that means ),also all parts on the rifle are original from the Factory as we don't have any laws on foreign parts ,although the bayonet lug has been ground down cos we arent allowed those ,apparently a bayonet makes this rifle dangerous . anyway sorry for the novel can anyone help me

shed some light ,cheers

Edited by jerry2guns

Hi all

Now a while back i bought a slightly used 06 production Saiga ,the gunsmith put a bullet guide in and

moved the trigger forward ,it shoots like a dream but has a few scratches and what not (which doesn't bother me )

anyway when i rang the guy to buy a Saiga 7.62 he had none in stock,but said i could buy his one

which is this 06 model,i did and have had it a few months and now out of the blue he e-mailed and asked if i wanted to do a straight

swap for a brandnew saiga 2011 i think ,he seems really keen to get it back ,said it had sentimental value but i mean he has heaps of saigas so why would he want mine back especially since its used .

are the new saigas built any different ,like quality wise ,my serial on my 06 rifle is HO61049xx and i read there were'nt that many of these

made in 06 ,its has the dimple ,extra y and the 3rd rivet (whatever that means ) anyway sorry for the novel can anyone help me

shed some light ,cheers

Keep it... Just for the extra Y stamp.

The Y stamp is where the third pin for a SF/FA military rifle would've been installed, kind'a rare.

Edited by ChileRelleno

Hey fellas ,the new saiga is converted but not sure about bullet guide ,and have seen a pic of the new one he wants to trade

and it is missing a few minor details ,like just above the mag catch post is an indentation of some kind and the new does not ,

just feel like i may be getting screwed out of the better rifle ,even though mine is 8 years old ,

heres a pic of my beasty ,sorry i couldnt blur part of the serial

post-22710-0-90322300-1336954628_thumb.jpg

OK, check it out... Desirable and uncommon particulars vs ho-hum current imports.

DOM 06', earlier import, fewer imported.

Dimple, always desirable as it strengthens the receiver. Some say it stabilizes the mag, but that is debatable.

Extra Y stamp above mag release, as I stated before the reason for it's rarity and desirability.

KEEP IT!

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

just a couple of pics of my rifle ,and thanks a bunch for your help ,just needed a push ,still a lttle

green on ak's and they arent very well regarded in my country ,as most guys here are old school deer hunters

and club shooters who think these are just brass chucking (steel case) pieces of shit ,anyway each to their own huh

post-22710-0-47166500-1336956239_thumb.jpg

Edited by jerry2guns

Third Rivet.

From what I understand, this is on all 100 series rifle front trunnions.

It is the rivet protruding from the left side of the receiver just back of the chamber, it initiates the locking/unlocking of the bolt.

IIRC, before the 100 series there were different trunnions on different rifles? Somebody correct this if it is wrong.

Does anybody know if this was a uncommon feature on some early Saigas? Don't know why it might have been?

Yep, the guy screwed up and/or is trying to screw you

KEEP the 06 with dimpled 3rd Y

I have a NIB '06 dimpled with 3rd Y stored away and enjoy just watching the value go up & up

Harv

Edited by HarvKY

Yes i agree jimmy ,also after some research the serial number falls right in the middle of the supposed Venezuela overrun ,

it may be collectable but ill still be shooting is as normal ,hope the guy dont get to pissy when he gets my e-mail telling him i don't want to

give the gun back ,but hey i paid $1400 for it NZD of course so it will be staying with me

• Like 3

Yes i agree jimmy ,also after some research the serial number falls right in the middle of the supposed Venezuela overrun ,

it may be collectable but ill still be shooting is as normal ,hope the guy dont get to pissy when he gets my e-mail telling him i don't want to

give the gun back ,but hey i paid $1400 for it NZD of course so it will be staying with me

It may be semi collectible but don't feel guilty about shooting it normally. Just don't drive over it or let it rust;)

Ok will do ,the guy just sent me an e-mail saying he not happy that im keeping the gun ,says he cut me deals in the past ,which is bs ,all the more reason to keep it,

although on the other end im sure the factory converted late model saigas are sweet all the same

hi tatonic yeah that would be all good but would never happen ,only problem is there is zero collect-ability for any kind of AK in my country ,unless its a full auto old school real deal AK 1947 ,in which case it would be a cold day in hell before i could get my hands on one as i dont and cannot hold a C-Class licence due to old convictions for assault and drunken disorderly ,the good ol days eh,

now despite all the guys saying i should keep the 06 model ,i have however decided to make the trade ,when i bought the 06 off him the gas tube was full of pitting

so i assumed he never cleaned it ,also the gas piston has a few small knicks out of it ,and the overall finish (paint) is quite rough ,as the original owner had used

enamel black spray paint to cover up any scratches on the reciever .

the new rifle that i will receive has a factory trigger forward ,Factory bullet guide (feed ramp)to take all mags and is all factory russian parts ,not touched by anyone after it leaves the factory in Russia ,and all new in box .

Sorry i didnt heed the advice i was given but i had to weigh up the options .

i will post a pic of the latest rifle once it arrives.

dont hate me guys

It's yours to do what you want with, but I would def make it cost him for the tradeback. I mean, that just sounds way too smelly. Would love to know the REAL reason why he wants it back so badly, but that is something that we will never know.

My thoughts exactly...I mean what gun dealer in his right mind would want an older weapon...there is def something that is fishy and used guilt trip to get you to do the trade.

I bet there is something severely wrong with that rifle that he is not telling you or there is something about yours that he wants really bad...either way...you did a stupid trade

My thoughts exactly...I mean what gun dealer in his right mind would want an older weapon...there is def something that is fishy and used guilt trip to get you to do the trade.

I bet there is something severely wrong with that rifle that he is not telling you or there is something about yours that he wants really bad...either way...you did a stupid trade

It is inappropriate for you to accuse the OP of making a "stupid trade', sir. What he does is his business and it is up to him to determine if he wants to trade or not.

Youn owe jerry2guns an apology.

Maybe where you are "Businessmen" are all always Fair and Honest, and Never take advantage of a persons lack of knowledge or inexperience.

I would have been very suspicious of his motives. Really, Why would he make such a stink and pull the old " I've given you deals..B.S." for no reason? Sentimental value? How long have you had the rifle? If it was 1 week, from a private seller, I could see "Sellers remorse" but a dealer???

I truley hope that You got a good and honest deal. If you are happy with the deal then our opinions are after all, just like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

Shoot well and be happy, and then the details won't even matter.

• Like 1

It is inappropriate for you to accuse the OP of making a "stupid trade', sir. What he does is his business and it is up to him to determine if he wants to trade or not.

Nobody is accusing anybody, the guy asked for our opinions and then decided against the majority. I agree it was a stupid trade (my opinion) based off the info i've read (and partially assuming its a neutered Saiga in trade) but i also agree the OP is completely free to do what he wants.

Edited by Mullet Man

Thanks Dad I'll get your permission next time, last time I checked I live in the United States of America..freedom of speech...he asked our opinion..and give him my honest view on this

Hey there russian hammer ,yes the 06 rifle was sporter style but had the trigger moved forward and had a bullet guide installed

by a gunsmith in training ,he did a kinda average job and covered up scratches with spray paint, ,however the bullet guide install was a good one.

the new rifle has come from the factory with trigger forward but he is installing another guide for me ,

it will come NIB with all the bits ,which to be honest im pretty happy with .ill put up some pics of it when it arrives.

Hey all ,thank you canoecanoe i appreciate your watching my back however im not easily offended and until my new rifle arrives thehun maybe correct ,

if we had the collect ability of AK's in NZ i would have kept it for sure(even if it was the first AK ever made it wouldnt mean a damn here .people just dont like them ,but the 06 rifle also had some pitting in the gas tube and a few knicks out of the gas piston head

so to get a brand spanker makes me happy .

I have taken and appreciated all the advice i have been given and made my decision so ill have to live with it,(how ever if he gives me a dud rifle in return or screws me round ill be taking a 3 hr road trip to pay him a visit ) friendly of course.

if anyone is interested ill get some pics up when the gun arrives. cheers guys and thank again mr Canocanoe