Which way should I go  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What alterations should I make to my SA M-7 Classic, if any?

• Polish the bolt carrier and get some "Russian red" furniture on there!
    • Polish the bolt carrier, but leave the blonde furniture on there!
    • Are you on crack? Leave 'er the hell alone!

Hello all,

I recently acquired a SA M-7 Classic, as detailed in my other recent thread. Here're a few current, (and possible "before"), pics:

primosam77.jpg

primosam73.jpg

1000555t.jpg

Now, what I'm thinking of doing is having the bolt carrier polished while she's at the 'smith having the fsb replaced with one that has bayo "fangs".. so that it'd look something like this:

ak47type31.jpg

ak47type34.jpg

Then, I'm considering a furniture change to something like that on the above rifle as well, for better contrast with the polished bolt carrier and to better resemble a Russkie type 3.

There's some great stuff available at rusmilitary.com.. but it sure as hell ain't cheap. Anyone else have a line on 2-tang AK-47, (not AKM), red/reddish-brown wooden furniture, (besides Ironwood)?

Please vote and also provide your thoughts on my idea/s. Polished bc with Russkie-lookin wood? Polished bc with current blonde wood? Or.. should I leave it the hell alone?

I know it'll probably slightly drop the re-sale value, but I don't really care. The bolt carrier could be re-parked so I'm not making any permanent alterations. Besides, I don't plan to part with this rifle.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I am voting for leaving it as is. It is way too beautiful to change in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, the pics of what you are considering doing look pretty sweet too, but you really scored a nice one there. I'd keep it as is and enjoy it. It's beautiful in it's own originality.

• Like 1

well fuck it. since your already swapping out the FSB, that will possibly drop the resale as it is. so fuck it. polish that bolt and make it truly your rifle. and put that red wood on it. either way, its going to be sexy, so its an easy win-win.

• Like 1

well fuck it. since your already swapping out the FSB, that will possibly drop the resale as it is. so fuck it. polish that bolt and make it truly your rifle. and put that red wood on it. either way, its going to be sexy, so its an easy win-win.

if he does a good job on the fsb i highly doubt it will hurt the resale, if anything it will increase it

• Like 1

if he does a good job on the fsb i highly doubt it will hurt the resale, if anything it will increase it

i agree hammer, but theres always the assholes that wont pay what something is worth if it does not have the factory original parts. me, i would consider this as an upgrade if anything.

• Like 1

i agree hammer, but theres always the assholes that wont pay what something is worth if it does not have the factory original parts. me, i would consider this as an upgrade if anything.

Capt; you do realize that I'm replacing the "ban style" "de-fanged" Bulgarian fsb with one that's identical except for the unmolested "fangs", (used to secure a bayo on a 47 type 3), right?

The work will be done exceptionally well, and the new fsb is just that.. a new part. I think a "de-banned" SA M-7 C will sell for a bit more than one that's remained "ban style".

Regardless, I'm having it replaced just because it bugs me that I can't secure a bayo quite as securely without the "fangs"... not that it'll ever really matter... at least I hope it doesn't, cause if it's "fix bayonets" time, I'm likely fucked either way. biggrin.png

get some red laminate wood, polish the bolt, have the whole thing blued and have the selector markings fixed

I'll probably skip the bluing and new selector marks. I'm not trying for that level of authenticity, (imo the marks are pointless unless it's a display piece only, and bluing is inferior to park n paint).

I have located a new set of unissued Russian type 3 furniture, but the owner's not sure if he wants to part with it for anything other than the blonde set I've got now. If I can buy it from him, I probably will, but I want to keep the blonde set in reserve.

get some red laminate wood, polish the bolt, have the whole thing blued and have the selector markings fixed

I'll probably skip the bluing and new selector marks. I'm not trying for that level of authenticity, (imo the marks are pointless unless it's a display piece only, and bluing is inferior to park n paint).

I have located a new set of unissued Russian type 3 furniture, but the owner's not sure if he wants to part with it for anything other than the blonde set I've got now... which reminds me, on a SA M-7 C, is the wood Bulgarian or US-made? If I can buy it from him, I probably will, but I want to keep the blonde set in reserve.

if i were you i'd trade the blonde set for the type 3 furniture, and you can skip the selector markings if you absolutely must, but it would be insulting not to have that thing blued

and, get some slab side mags for it, and maybe some of those aluminum waffle mags

Edited by Russian Hammer

Capt; you do realize that I'm replacing the "ban style" "de-fanged" Bulgarian fsb with one that's identical except for the unmolested "fangs", (used to secure a bayo on a 47 type 3), right?

The work will be done exceptionally well, and the new fsb is just that.. a new part. I think a "de-banned" SA M-7 C will sell for a bit more than one that's remained "ban style".

Regardless, I'm having it replaced just because it bugs me that I can't secure a bayo quite as securely without the "fangs"... not that it'll ever really matter... at least I hope it doesn't, cause if it's "fix bayonets" time, I'm likely fucked either way. biggrin.png

i do get it PA, i was just tossing up the possibility since i recently sold a s&w model 66-2 with hogue grips and one dude that wanted the gun made comments cuz i didnt have the original grips. cool.png some folks is weird with that shit i guess. id rather have done what your doing to it. like i said, i see it as an upgrade. def. get up some pics when you get it done. as the rifle is sexy as it is, but will look even nicer when completed.

• Like 1

I would say if you wan to to change something just change the furniture (if you want to keep the original in pristine cond) and leave everything else alone. Whats the point of a all "bling" carrier? Only for shiny looks? Why? That money can go towards ammo, mags, beer... same with the bayo lug. Do you REALLY need it? Are you going to use it? Is this a shooter or a collector safe queen? I have AKs with an without lugs. Those that have it came that way. Those that dont have it i dont notice or miss.

Edited by Arik
  • Like 1

Thanks for being so honest with me, Arik.

You're just confirming what I decided late last night after a very knowledgable guy on the akfiles gave me the run-down of everything he thought I should do if I wanted to do anything... going to extraordinary lengths to make her look Russian rather than Bulgarian.

What I realized is.. she is Bulgarian, and pretty fucking sweet as is. I decided that I should just leave her be and appreciate her "Bulgarianness" rather than trying to maker her into something she's not.

It also didn't help that I had a line on a primo matching Russian furniture set for less than $200, then the same knowledgable guy I mentioned took it upon himself to appraise that set, (the potential seller had put a pic into the general thread), at $300-$400. :rolleyes:

It seems that decently priced good AK type 3 furniture is entirely too rare, unless you want to pay rusmilitary prices for a set you've never seen which may have issues, (repairs etc). I'd still like to pick up a set at some point, but until I find a deal that I don't feel I'm getting raped on, I'll stick with blonde.

i'm at the point where i might pay for you to have that thing blued

Well, if I did have her blued, the bolt carrier polished, and left the blonde furniture on, she'd still be proper early Bulgarian, even with the barrel pinned rather than screwed into the receiver, (as the Russians did their type 3s).

Well, if I did have her blued, the bolt carrier polished, and left the blonde furniture on, she'd still be proper early Bulgarian, even with the barrel pinned rather than screwed into the receiver, (as the Russians did their type 3s).

then do it, the bolt is also really easy to polish yourself, depending on how it's finished, i do it on a lot of my AKs, i usually start with coarse sand paper, then keep moving up to like 1000 grit, then maybe use a dremil emery wheel to remove any light machining marks, then start with buffing compound on a dremil wheel and finish it off by hand with mothers mag and aluminum polish

• Like 2

then do it, the bolt is also really easy to polish yourself, depending on how it's finished, i do it on a lot of my AKs, i usually start with coarse sand paper, then keep moving up to like 1000 grit, then maybe use a dremil emery wheel to remove any light machining marks, then start with buffing compound on a dremil wheel and finish it off by hand with mothers mag and aluminum polish

I just might in the fairly near future. Another idea is to pick up another Bulgarian 47 bolt carrier and polish that one, leaving the original in the factory park.

First thing's first.. I still haven't fired her. I'll take care of that this afternoon.. see how her accuracy compares to my 21 and get a little carbon on the shiny chrome at the muzzle. :D

It sounds like you're not wanting to do much that can't be undone easily (except the FSB). So go ahead and swap out the wood if you want. Get the carrier polished up, if you like. It will look great either way.