Today I loaded up a large GI ammo can with a bunch of Norinco 7.62x39 ammo. My dad had these stashed away in his shed for quite awhile. The Norinco boxes are silver and the round cases are very dark, almost black. Should I blast these away or should I save them?

norincoammo002.jpg

It says Lead core on the box, so unless you're a collector, or you can trade it to a collector for a larger volume of more common .39, I'd say shoot it.

If it were steel core, I'd say keep it in the mags of your go-to AK.

Home invasion robbers have worn Kevlar in some robberies.

Sell or trade it to a collector for more ammo than your current round count. Do some homework and then solicit on some AK forums. Somebody will want that ammo for collectors purposes.

1/2 & 1/2!

Sell 1/2 and use the money to up your ammo supply, stick the other 1/2 in your personal hoard!

I have 3 cases of the steel core chink stuff in the sardine cans/wooden crates. I don't shoot it and it's not for sale.

That said I also have blasting ammo but I have only shot my AK one in the last 5 years as it's a collectible too.

Polytech red sidefolder bought in 1989 for 289.99 plus tax and transfer and it was NIB came with a case of the the ammo I have now.

• Like 2

It says Lead core on the box, so unless you're a collector, or you can trade it to a collector for a larger volume of more common .39, I'd say shoot it.

Unless they were wearing something like Dragon Skin, I'd say regular ol lead-core rounds would still take care of em. wink.png

I'm sure you're right, but a guy just can't be too careful these days....

nothing.gif

Heck, they're already eating each other in Florida.

• Like 2

Unless they were wearing something like Dragon Skin, I'd say regular ol lead-core rounds would still take care of em. wink.png

I'm sure you're right, but a guy just can't be too careful these days....

Especially when the home invaders have BATF written on their kevlar!

Sounds like old ammo... probably dangerous to keep around.

I'll do ya a favor and take it off your hands for cheap. You're welcome. biggrin.png

Damn it man, that is my line.

O and I will take it cheaper!!!

sell it and get some good reliable stuff. only norinco thats desirable is steel core. i think that stuff isnt very good. loose as a goose and nasty random primers. fps is all over the place. made in china for the american market, not themselves.

• Like 1

I don't understand the value people put into the old norinco steel core stuff. It's not a hardened steel core, so it doesn't behave much different than lead upon impact... like 7N6. Just because it's "banned" doesn't mean its any better. Why does everyone act like this stuff is the holy grail for ammo?

• Like 2

I don't understand the value people put into the old norinco steel core stuff. It's not a hardened steel core, so it doesn't behave much different than lead upon impact... like 7N6. Just because it's "banned" doesn't mean its any better. Why does everyone act like this stuff is the holy grail for ammo?

Just the artificial rarity, really.. which is the same reason that some gouging asswipes are currently asking ~$3500 for milled Polytech Legends, when they're objectively inferior to Bulgarian milled SA M-7 rifles, especially the Classics.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 3

It will punch through trauma plates at close range, just as the old x54R steel core will. Even if it doesn't, steel has more mass than lead, and little give. It may not go through the vest, but it will knock you on your ass real quick. I know a cop who got hit by some back in '95. The vest stopped it, but it busted a couple of ribs and his sternum in the process. The vest couldn't absorb all the energy as it would have with lead core.

It is not hardened steel, but it would have to penetrate better than just lead, wouldn't it?

I would guess that is Egyptian. As far as the magnet sticking to the bullet that could just be due to a steel jacket as opposed to a steel core. The only way to know is to pull a bullet and cut it in half to verify the core.

• Like 1

It is not hardened steel, but it would have to penetrate better than just lead, wouldn't it?

It would penetrate marginally better only because its marginally harder than lead. You would probably see it retain more energy/mass through random barriers versus lead but not even remotely similar to the difference between the 5.56 m193 versus ss109. With regard current body armor, if it can stop a lead core rifle round then it can stop a steel core unless the round is specifically developed as armor piercing and even then most enhanced SAPIs's can stop armor piercing rounds, now.

Edited by Risky
That said I also have blasting ammo but I have only shot my AK one in the last 5 years as it's a collectible too.

Polytech red sidefolder bought in 1989 for 289.99 plus tax and transfer and it was NIB came with a case of the the ammo I have now.

Even if it was a transferable pre-86 (which would be considered collectible) I would shoot it regularly instead of letting it rot in a safe. The only way to become proficient with it is with regular use.

Edited by master of the bush