New York Times article about Izhmash sales in the United States

I picked up a saiga because I was looking for a good project. Not to difficult, but doing the conversion was a good way to learn about the function of the rifle, and have a great finished project when done. The end result was a high quality rifle that is fun to shoot and I feel that I have a better sense of the rifle after doing the conversion.

It's fun to tinker and put the parts together. I think that's why saigas are gaining popularity and why more people are building ARs off of stripped lowers. I would not buy a converted saiga. Where's the fun in that?

Add the part about coming from a historically significant factory in Russia, and being able to support a growing industry of US made saiga parts, it's pretty cool.

• Like 1

I bought my Saiga 12 because I was searching for another USAS-12 and the Saiga was the only other shotgun that I could find that could ultilize a drum. It was after I started playing with the platform and seeing how far I could take it that I truly began to appreciate the Saiga products. I was a previous owner of a Maadi Egypt pre ban AK and the Izhmash product has proven to be superior in every way to the Maadi. Of course it being made by Izhmash only adds icing to the cake. I for one would agree that having access to spare parts would be a real benefit over here. It makes me smile to think about how a Russian product has added jobs to the US economy. Thank You for posting this topic.

• Like 1

You fools. Don't you all know the NYT is one of the major water carriers for this corrupt gang of criminals running the country into the ground? I can't wait to see the spin on this one and you suckers just bought into it hook, line and sinker. This one will be about how a military arms manufacturer has been importing military weapons that are in a sporting configuration, but are readily converted back into military style weapons. When you want the knives pulled out of your backs, I'll tell you all I told you so instead. 010.gif

• Like 5

You fools. Don't you all know the NYT is one of the major water carriers for this corrupt gang of criminals running the country into the ground? I can't wait to see the spin on this one and you suckers just bought into it hook, line and sinker. This one will be about how a military arms manufacturer has been importing military weapons that are in a sporting configuration, but are readily converted back into military style weapons. When you want the knives pulled out of your backs, I'll tell you all I told you so instead. 010.gif

same thing i am thinking.......NYT says enough for me!!!
  • Like 3

Take all the NYT stuff with a grain of salt.......but their daily TV program reviews were brutally on spot. No further comment. I used to be a local consumer of the paper years ago.

I have nothing personal against the OP, he's a reporter trying to do a job and (probably) has no intention of showing we, the consumers of these weapons, in a negative light. However, I think that will be the end result whether intentional or not. The story of what we do with these guns, even when reported absolutely factually with no negative spin, will never be received well by readers of the New York Times. You all go ahead, I see nothing to be gained by being a pawn in this game.

Mr Kramer,

Nice idea for a story ...or series of stories!

One aspect that you could investigate (for the benefit of frustrated Saiga fans) is the distribution/supply/customs chain. These Saigas have a VERY erratic supply history on US shores with lots of reasons, excuses, lies, paranoid theories, etc regularly offered up.

Also I especially suggest that you educate yourself fully with the 922r regulations that govern any "conversion" of these imported "sporting weapons."

The hows/whys of these regs plus the intended/unintended consequences from it could make an interesting story line - especially in regards to economics and job creation. There used to be only a few USA made items available for these weapons but in the last couple years it seems like its been an explosion of companies providing an ever increasing selection of parts.

The most important/interesting component IMO has been all the small, individual talented entrepreneurs who have stepped up to create products previously unavailable and have grown/are growing into established businesses with good market shares (it seems to me). Dinzag components, Ironwood furniture, MD Arms come to mind first.

Several of these smaller guys are already dealing with the big money established companies reverse engineering their ideas and bringing a copy to market.

There also are numerous talented gunsmiths commanding a niche market repairing, converting or building up these weapons. The list always starts with Tony Rumore /Tromix and S12 shotguns. I'll stop now rather than possibly leave someone out.

Numerous others have started small businesses as distributors providing parts & accessories for just these type weapons. Carolina Shooters Supply, Mississippi Auto arms come to mind first.

Sorry for being long winded. Good luck with your columns

Harv

• Like 2

Ya'll fuckers must believe in Fairy Tales too... The NYT is going to run a positive piece on Firearms. haha.gif

I do believe in Fairies, I do, I do! But seriously, I think one of the biggest propblems with the pro gun and anti gun groups is that they're over on their side of the fence and we're on our side, and other than yelling pofanities at each other occasionally we don't talk. If the NYT article is writen, even with an anti gun slant, how may hits do you think this forum will get the next day? Hopefully people will come to the forum, and find out that we're not all wack jobs...oh shit. Who am I kidding. We're screwed!

A couple of weeks ago I received a call from a gentleman who introduced himself as Andrew Kramer, a reporter for New York Times, who is currently in Moscow Russia, writing and article about the Izhmash factory and the increasing interest in the United States to the products the factory is making. The gentleman told me that he has already visited the factory, has spoken with the factory officials, and at this point he would like to speak to some of the American Dealers that sell the weapon platform and the American owners of Saiga weapons and ask a few general questions as to why they have chosen to purchase a Saiga and what their opinion is of the Izhmash factory in general. I told him that I would try to contact some of the dealers to see if they would like to talk to him and would provided them with his contact information.

The day before yesterday, the gentleman called me again, told me that he has already spoken to some of the Dealers and now really wants to talk to American Saiga weapon owners. I have suggested to the gentleman that in his situation the better path would be to try meeting some of the American owners of the Saiga weapons on line, get some of his questions answered, and perhaps even receive some of the direct contact information with a explicit consent from the persons, he should register on our public forum and post a thread with the questions.

I am sure everyone would agree that it is clearly possible to spin a story such as this in any direction, positive or negative.

With that said, I see nothing wrong with shearing beliefs and opinions on the subject at hand, weather the other party agrees with it or not, and possibly even making an attempt to persuade the other side to see the positive aspects of legal gun owning through a civilized conversation.

I do hope that this article, if published, will not turn out to be one of the highly opinionated, politically one-sided, negative articles that portray gun owner community as borderline “criminals” or “crazed wack jobs”, something that in the future might attribute to damaging the rights of gun owners of America. But, this is just my “hope” - the future will tell what will actually happen.

Exactly what I was thinking from the get go. Somebody must have their sights trained on the "evil imported shotguns" again.

• Like 1

Has Andrew Kramer made any statements regarding his personal beliefs on gun ownership and or 2nd Amendment rights of U.S. citizens. It seems only fair that if he's wanting a honest response to his questions that he is willing to share his views. Possibly a link to any gun related articles he's written in the past if possible. Andrew, care to comment? Oddly enough Andrew Kramer=AK.

http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/reference/timestopics/people/k/andrew_kramer/index.html

Edited by 6500rpm
  • Like 1

Hello,

My name is Andrew Kramer. I am a reporter with the New York Times based in Moscow, Russia. I recently visited the Izhmash factory in Izhevsk, Russia

Were all the employees drunk? Because I swear, with all the inconsistencies they ship over here, that's the conclusion we've all come to.

Reason for a Saiga?

Radom never made a Polish AK in 12 gauge.

As a bonus, I can convey my impressions of the Izhmash factory and the conversation with its general director, who is probably the most knowledgable man on earth about AK guns.

Thank you,

Andrew

Please tell them to change the drill bits they drill the ports with every now & again. Like more nows & agains.

I've measured everything from high .08", to low .06" on 3 port guns.

That's unreal.

Thanks, & good luck on the story. 032.gif

This is a note of thanks to those in the forum who responded and particularly those who offered to speak on the phone. Some expressed interest in the new AK-12. Here is a video of a prototype being fired on the site of the Russian state news agency RIA.

http://en.rian.ru/video/20120627/174267858.html

For those on this forum interested in the history of the New York Times and repeating firearms in the United States, I recommend the book The Gun by C.J. Chivers.

Thank you again.

• Like 2