Mka 1919 or Saiga 12??

I'm partial to the MKA, first saiga 12's I shot were HORRID conversions, and made me biased. Both GREAT guns, just depends on ergonomics. Do your research.

if you want to spend a little more centerfire systems sells converted ones, and man they are sweet (converted by firebird). I did my own work, it's good, just not nearly as sweet as the trigger group feel from the converted firebird one. Hindsight, I would have spent the coin on a converted one. Not unhappy with mine, just notice the diff in feel.

I would choose the Chevy. I can't afford a Ford.

At least you could ask, why did you choose the 1919 over the Saiga or some sensible question in a 1919 thread that you start.

"I know this comes up a lot and I understand both guns pros and cons" ...so you are not the nubie you pretend to be then, I see.

The answer probably is: "Because it is there." And soon it may be everywhere. Where is yours?

• Like 1

You might be happeir with a break action Stevens.

after handling one, to me it felt like some cheap AIRSOFT toy knock off, no way would I even consider buying something like that

That's only because you were standing at the wrong end ........ 010.gif

Edited by flyer91

At least you could ask, why did you choose the 1919 over the Saiga or some sensible question in a 1919 thread that you start.

"I know this comes up a lot and I understand both guns pros and cons" ...so you are not the nubie you pretend to be then, I see.

The answer probably is: "Because it is there." And soon it may be everywhere. Where is yours?

Ok first of all,nowhere in my topic did I claim to be a newbee,yes I am a newbee to this forum but not to firearms! I thought forums were a place for us to respectfully communicate with one another and gain knowledge! I donot own either rifle only trying to gain knowledge for a decision on buying one!!!!!

This is my first post but I have been reading this forum since i bought my mka almost a year ago. First toothandnail you need to hurry up and get those mags into production I want one so bad (once you do pm me please I want one maybe more)!!! and to respond to this guys question I prefer the AR controls over the AK so I would go with an mka over a saiga. I have shot 100's of rounds through both and they both shoot great and to be honest if I closed my eyes and shot both it would be hard to tell a difference. But the MKA wins because im used to shooting my AR so this is not much of a change up in shooting.

This forum 'can' be a bit tougher than most, and I'm a newb here as well, but certainly far from a newb to firearms.

Yup, I agree ......... the AR feel and flow is why I bought mine.

If somebody made an AR pistol that would work for 3 gun, I'd get one of those too.

I've seen the subject brought up that the 1919 needs to be "fixed" to be able to shoot light loads, and that some people wouldn't buy a firearm that needed to be "fixed" right out of the box.

IMHO: the 1919 didn't need to be "fixed" at all.

It's a combat weapon that may have needed to be "sporterized", but not "fixed".

But unlike the days when we would take Springfield A3s and sporterize them for civilian use, I guess we've become a "ready made" society, or are too young to have been part of the sporterizing days. (???)

No sin in that ....... just the way is is I guess .......

From what I've seen the 1919 has always worked well for what is was designed for .... a combat shotgun that fired heavy combat loads.

Although I'm not sure about this ....... I had read/seen early video reports that the factory was going to start to mod them so they would shoot lighter loads. And from the way mine is shooting I suspect that they might have done that.

After break-in mines shooting whatever I put in it, including low brass shells. (thanks Syndicate, Bulldog_Shotgun and others for the early encouragement and advice)

But even if that's just a "luck of the draw" thing, the spring spacer is easy to make, or only $9 to buy, so a person can ....... "sporterize" ...... their 1919 if needed.

Also, my comment above regarding the "wrong end" was my way of saying that whatever is being shot with one doesn't know how it feels to hold the gun.

It shoots well, is amazingly accurate with slugs, and comes apart for normal field service/cleaning pretty easily.

If the way it feels bothers some ..... wait a while and there will almost assuredly be forged 7075 T6 lowers to be had for it.

Funny ......... the "feels like cheep plastic" comment is exactly what we said when (while "in theater") in 1967, they took away our M14s (in the field!!) and gave us some new plastic toy rifle that shot varmint rounds, to use up against a 7.62 (30 cal) equip'd enemy.

I can assure you that we hated the "plastic POS M16" more then you can imagine, and for all the reasons that it has been bad mouthed for over two decades after it's inception (at least!!).

Hell ........ we even had our friends and families send us the big round "You Can tell It's Swell If It's Mattel" toy logo stickers which we put on the stocks, as our way of protest.

We absolutely hated that rifle!

Now I'm an old fart, that has eaten a lot of crow on the subject of the AR15......... and glad to to have done so.

I suspect that the future will hold a lot of crow BBQs for those that are currently mocking the 1919 as well. ;)

So yeah ......... I choose the 1919.

To me is doesn't feel like cheap plastic, it feels like an old friend ......... that took me some time to "come to Jesus" with. ;)

Edited by flyer91
  • Like 2

Ok first of all,nowhere in my topic did I claim to be a newbee,yes I am a newbee to this forum but not to firearms! I thought forums were a place for us to respectfully communicate with one another and gain knowledge! I donot own either rifle only trying to gain knowledge for a decision on buying one!!!!!

Sorry you were met with Trolly McTrollerton posts, there's a few that have responded on this that seem to do nothing but make troll posts for the most part in regard to the 1919....

Welcome to S12.com you'll learn to ignore the people that don't own an MKA-1919 that love to hang out in the section for it and the ones that have not shot them are quickly spotted.

Your post was fine.

This is my first post but I have been reading this forum since i bought my mka almost a year ago. First toothandnail you need to hurry up and get those mags into production I want one so bad (once you do pm me please I want one maybe more)!!! and to respond to this guys question I prefer the AR controls over the AK so I would go with an mka over a saiga. I have shot 100's of rounds through both and they both shoot great and to be honest if I closed my eyes and shot both it would be hard to tell a difference. But the MKA wins because im used to shooting my AR so this is not much of a change up in shooting.

good post man

This forum 'can' be a bit tougher than most, and I'm a newb here as well, but certainly far from a newb to firearms.

Yup, I agree ......... the AR feel and flow is why I bought mine.

If somebody made an AR pistol that would work for 3 gun, I'd get one of those too.

I've seen the subject brought up that the 1919 needs to be "fixed" to be able to shoot light loads, and that some people wouldn't buy a firearm that needed to be "fixed" right out of the box.

IMHO: the 1919 didn't need to be "fixed" at all.

It's a combat weapon that may have needed to be "sporterized", but not "fixed".

But unlike the days when we would take Springfield A3s and sporterize them for civilian use, I guess we've become a "ready made" society, or are too young to have been part of the sporterizing days. (???)

No sin in that ....... just the way is is I guess .......

From what I've seen the 1919 has always worked well for what is was designed for .... a combat shotgun that fired heavy combat loads.

Although I'm not sure about this ....... I had read/seen early video reports that the factory was going to start to mod them so they would shoot lighter loads. And from the way mine is shooting I suspect that they might have done that.

After break-in mines shooting whatever I put in it, including low brass shells. (thanks Syndicate, Bulldog_Shotgun and others for the early encouragement and advice)

But even if that's just a "luck of the draw" thing, the spring spacer is easy to make, or only $9 to buy, so a person can ....... "sporterize" ...... their 1919 if needed.

Also, my comment above regarding the "wrong end" was my way of saying that whatever is being shot with one doesn't know how it feels to hold the gun.

It shoots well, is amazingly accurate with slugs, and comes apart for normal field service/cleaning pretty easily.

If the way it feels bothers some ..... wait a while and there will almost assuredly be forged 7075 T6 lowers to be had for it.

Funny ......... the "feels like cheep plastic" comment is exactly what we said when (while "in theater") in 1967, they took away our M14s (in the field!!) and gave us some new plastic toy rifle that shot varmint rounds, to use up against a 7.62 (30 cal) equip'd enemy.

I can assure you that we hated the "plastic POS M16" more then you can imagine, and for all the reasons that it has been bad mouthed for over two decades after it's inception (at least!!).

Hell ........ we even had our friends and families send us the big round "You Can tell It's Swell If It's Mattel" toy logo stickers which we put on the stocks, as our way of protest.

We absolutely hated that rifle!

Now I'm an old fart, that has eaten a lot of crow on the subject of the AR15......... and glad to to have done so.

I suspect that the future will hold a lot of crow BBQs for those that are currently mocking the 1919 as well. wink.png

So yeah ......... I choose the 1919.

To me is doesn't feel like cheap plastic, it feels like an old friend ......... that took me some time to "come to Jesus" with. wink.png

^this guy, we're gonna be buds lol

Interesting reads... thanks all. I'm actually considering getting a 1919 to add to my S12! I'd like to get in on them before the price jump that probably will happen once the hi-cap mags come out. I missed out on the inexpensive S12 so therefore I paid a crapton more for mine. Hopefully I can be smarter now :-)

I do have to say, I like the AR feel since that's all I'm used to - the S12 is my first AK platform weapon and I love it, but it has taken some getting used to. But another reason to hit the range...