I dont know exactly what this relates to, but I can say that in certain states, like CA, NY and MA, a model may go for more money than it should. I know here in MA, any Glock model will sell more used than you can get it for in most any other state. Thats due to us not being able to buy any Glocks produced after 1998. Thats one example I can think of. You will also run into people who will do work on guns and think their work makes it worth more, when it usually decreases value. Thats my $.02 on it

Edited by VR6Shooter

But, yet..... I've had some pretty incredible offers for my S12, and the answer has always been NO. lol

I usually tell them to contact some of the venders from this forum, like Lonestar, Cobra...... They're in that line of work. I'm just a hobbyist.

• Like 1

That's why I've never shot my Mosin Nagant, preferring instead to keep it in factory new condition. I figure that if I ever do decide to sell it I can truthfully say it's never been fired. That should allow me to jack the price up.

Pawn shops are the worst. Occasionally you'll find a good deal like when i bought a charter .38sp for $ 225. Unlike another time i saw an old AR, and thought "cool I'll get out of here for $500" So i check it out it's an Olympic arms, "cool maybe $400". So i ask to see it. It's it and it's kinda beat up.I asks how much the lady say"$1100" I said"not to be a dick you can b buy this all day long online brand new for $699. She says"For an Olympic gun?I don't think so." I said no"Not an Olympic gun an Olympic arms AR. For the money your asking i could by a new colt LE. What about this gun being left in someone s trunk and having the finish worn off doubles it's price?"Her response was"I don't know what other guns your taking about but I've been in this business for 10 yearsand i know what it's worth."I told her the only business she was in was the business if looking for suckers and she wasn't finding one in me today, and i left.

Edited by poolingmyignorance

^^^This. I think this is reason alot people ask such a ridiculous price. They were screwed to begin with by a local pawn shop or gun store so they think their asking a fair price. I see it all the time on a local gun trading page on Facebook, theres a Saiga 7.62 with the shitty unconverted tapco stock and tapco quad rail, the guys asking $500 cash or $550 trade!! I'm sure its most likely b/c he paid way to much for it to begin with. As for people being so damned stupid to over pay for guns in this "information age" well ya CANT FIX STUPID!!!

Personally Ive decided to use their stupidity to my advantage. Im going to start buying guns that I can get a deal on and turn around and TRADE UP with these idiots who think my gun is worth way more than it really is!!

• Like 1

1. People are stupid.

2. People want to recover from their own stupidity, or take advantage of the stupidity in others.

The second one there is pretty easily understood, but, recovering from stupidity means, in this case,

they got taken, and they want to get their money out of it, and pass being screwed to someone else.

For instance, let's take the compact model of the HK USP. MSRP is like 1000, most gun shops are around

850-900, the better ones are 750-800, and you can get new in box ones on gunbroker for 650. Even the discontinued

stainless slide ones.

You see a for sale ad, and it ends with "I put 950 into this gun, I want 850 out" meaning that they'll take the hit of 100 dollars.

Problem is, when you overpaid two to three hundred to begin with, then shot the gun (likely shot the piss out of it and scratched it up),

thus dropping the condition to like 85%, it's only worth about 500 dollars, if that.

Then "the Humbling" begins. They put it up on their forum of choice, and it doesn't sell. They get butthurt by real offers, because they

think they are too low. Then, weeks later, they give up in disgust, put it up on gunbroker, and get like 400 for our example.

Lessons learned are don't overpay for guns in the first place, and don't buy toys if you're not financially secure enough to take a hit

without having to sell everything.

Another one that gets me is the "Practically new, only 1500 rounds shot through it!" ads. Practically new means like one or two range

trips having shot a box or two, not 10% of the barrel life gone.

Pawn shops are the worst.

Definitely, there's a local one wanting $240 for a Mosin Nagant M44 with an ATI sporter stock, no bayonet, and every single piece was covered in rust.

Edited by JoeAK

Pawn shops are the worst.

Definitely, there's a local one wanting $240 for a Mosin Nagant M44 with an ATI sporter stock, no bayonet, and every single piece was covered in rust.

I went back to the one where I bought the Charter Arms for $225, to pick up some AK mags, (cause they sell new stuff too) and those assholes told me the price for surplus steels at the time was 30 bucks!! I'd just bought like 5 a few weeks before for 9...I haven't been back to that place since. I hate when people get greedy. It's like another shop near me selling a used AMD65 for 700. What the fuck?

Shops hate it, but buyers already know what stuff is worth when there. I recently had this problem with a shop lately. I wanted to order a firearm and use them as an FFL transfer. They refused (after talking with them), and stated "their our competition". I then said, "ok, well can you at least comparably match their price?" they said "no way... that' s wholesale", to which I stated, "no... wholesale is $200 less than you you are asking. I'm looking at, as we speak, online". They hesitated and then said "Ummm... no. We won't do that transfer." Bottom line is they KNEW their rediculous overprice was obvious, but at that point had not excuse for it. "ONLINE" has empowered many a a buyer to put a seller in his/her place. Retailers HATE online, but it CAN work in your favor. KNOW the product and it's worth BEFORE you buy.

Come on......$300 for a Beta-C drum for an AR? I can pick them up for $125 locally all day long(when they are in stock).

you sure that wasn't the US made BETA CO. packaged one (pouch, loader)? because they go for about that 300 dollar price range. the 125 dollar ones are the Korean offs,

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 2

I think the OP was directed at something for sale in this forum, not a pawn or gun shop. The same OP is selling something for way more than it is worth as well. Not sure what he is bitching about.

Actually, it is prevelent on all of the gun forums i have visited

But you are one of the culprits jacking up prices with yours.

Boba, you were asking $600 for a $300 shotgun you hypocritical douchebag. Just because you shit rig some airsoft rails on something doesn't mean it's worth double the price when new. There is no vendetta, just calling it like I see it.

• Like 2

There's a sucker born every minute. 400 people see an add, all it takes is one un-educated and un-motivated person to jump on it and buy it and instant profit. Not everyone in the world has high morals, some just want to profit from the stupid. In that respect, Darwin wins (natural selection). Now if we can only get rid of the laws on the books only put there to protect stupid people, in time the world would be a better place018.gif

Boba, you were asking $600 for a $300 shotgun you hypocritical douchebag. Just because you shit rig some airsoft rails on something doesn't mean it's worth double the price when new. There is no vendetta, just calling it like I see it.

Comparing a one of a kind, weird custom built gun to a stock off the shelf common gun is the an epic fail.

I’m talking about the guy that tries to sell a LNIB Glock 20 “with only 25 rounds down the barrel” for $600, or the guy that tries to sell a NIB S-12 for $900.

Why don’t you try to participate in a thread like an adult instead of trying to shit in the thread like a petty, jealous child.

I’m starting to think your either a millennial or not far removed from one.

Come on......$300 for a Beta-C drum for an AR? I can pick them up for $125 locally all day long(when they are in stock).

you sure that wasn't the US made BETA CO. packaged one (pouch, loader)? because they go for about that 300 dollar price range. the 125 dollar ones are the Korean offs,

Genuine Beta-C, used but tested for function by their on-site FFL03 weapon tester. They get them in occasionally because some moron forgets the graphite lube, and it jams up.

I hear you guys on the ONLINE thing. I put the local Bob Ward's in their place. They were charging $250 for a 420 round can of LC M855. Wal-mart had the same can for $149. I picked up the last one Wal-mart had, then off to Ward's. The manager proceeded to call me a liar in front of everybody. I produced the receipt and the yellow label off the can, and told him he'd just lost about $600 worth of business. It cost him more than that, when people started walking out, leaving their carts behind. Haven't been back in that joint since.

Why don’t you try to participate in a thread like an adult instead of trying to shit in the thread like a petty, jealous child.

I was participating like an adult. Were in the hell are you getting that I am jealous of you? Let's get one thing straight, your mall ninja projects do not make me jealous, far from it. 021.gif

A fool and their money are soon parted. If the other guy gets $600 for his Glock, more power to him. If you get $600 for a $300 dollar coach gun, more power to you. You are like the pot calling the kettle black IMO. Harden the fuck up and quit being such a big baby.

Harden up? Sorry, you’re not my type.

Anyone can look at your history of posts in my threads to see that you like to follow me around and shit in my threads.

That makes you’re a troll, and the way you act like you’re not means one of two things. You’re an idiot because you don’t realize you’re trolling my threads or you’re a flat out liar and don’t have the integrity to admit that you troll my threads.

The fact that you fail to understand the difference between me selling a custom gun and someone else selling a used common gun for more then what I can buy a new gun for makes you one two things – an idiot if you honestly believe the two are the same or, once again, you don’t have the integrity to admit that the only reason your trying to draw a comparison between the two is to troll my thread.

So are you an idiot or do you lack integrity?

Personally I think you’re both.

I really don’t know why you like to follow me around, but most people say you are jealous of my abilities or my possessions.

Weather you like or dislike the things I can build there is no denying that it takes imagination, skill, resources and drive to do what I do. When I want something I have the ability to make it happen, regardless of cost or impediments to completing the project.

No one sells a Quad Rail for a bull pup AK, no problem, I’ll just build one

No one sells a flat top AK, no problem, I’ll just build one.

No one sells a Glock 20 long slide, no problem, I’ll just build one.

This list could go on for a long time and that’s just guns, I apply the same principles to everything in my life and my families life. Take a look at what I did for my wife in thread about our first floor renovation, don’t worry, I’m sure you can post a disparaging comment about that work too.

Not knowing how to close this post out I’ll just resort to the basic concept of asking you to just ignore me, but I know that you can’t, I’m under your skin and you are to weak to pass up an opportunity to act like a troll

It’s pathetic but funny so just remember that every time you troll one of my threads people are laughing at you.

I think folks are laughing at both of you. Two presumably adult men, on the internet, bickering like children.

Boba - you want him to ignore you. If that's the solution, you can do it - by ignoring him when he trolls you. Solved.

• Like 1