What's a practical handguard?

There are too many options for a handguard/rail system out there, for the uneducated buyer.

I've seen selections that range greatly in price.

I have searched these forums for handguard advice, but that word doesn't bring up to many helpful threads.

I'm looking for something that has enough rail to put an angled grip or folding handle on the bottom, and perhaps a red dot sight on the top for the future. I'm not really looking to mount flashlights, bayonets, or dixie flag holders.

Do I really need aircraft grade aluminum?

Will the black impact plastic types work just fine?

I'm also concerned with having something that doesn't clamp down on the gas system, as I read that it seems to bind it up.

Are there any recommended ones for those that have had multiple experiences, or those to stay away from.

I know I need something different, because I bought a 20 round drum, and the factory handguard isn't a comfortable grip while trying to wrap my arm around the drum.

Edited by Pro2A

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/80311-css-forearm-slop-take-out/

Thats what i did. Kinda had the same mindset as you where i wasnt looking for a gargantuan quad rail, just enough to put a grip on to make it more comfey to shoot with drums and maybe a flashlight in the future. You dont have to add the set screws like i did, works without but i have ocd or something when it comes to building or modding things and that tinsy bit of wiggle bothered me to no end.

Heck you could just get some rail segments like i did and add it to the bottom of the stock handguard, theres posts on here where people have done that.

Short answer: shave the OEM handguard flat so that it is parallel to bore, and bolt on a $12 stick of picatinny rail. Screw heads on the inside, tapped into the lugs of the rail. #6 screws work just fine.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said. LOL

Although I'm looking to change mine out, I've been happy with the Intrafuse HG on my S12. It's lightweight and you don't have to mount all the rails unless you want to. No provision for a top rail on it without adding something else, like an Ultimak.

Saiga-12s.jpg

I'm new to the S-12, but I'm liking the Phoenix on mine. It was on the gun when I bought it and has worked well for me so far - about 500 rounds to this point. It is simple and flexible in that you can use or remove side rails and bottom rails to fit your needs. It uses a simple mounting mechanism and does not clamp to anything. Downside is there no top rail option and it is not insulated so it can get hot. I've seen them out there for around $40.

post-43632-0-48951700-1350834455_thumb.jpg

post-43632-0-08408500-1350834463_thumb.jpg

Like GunFun said, the factory HG is the simplest way to go when seeking more practical than "tactical". It's very light weight, fit's the gun better than any other, and rails can be added very easily for a forward grip or light on the bottom. I like to custom mill cooling vents in the sides to keep it from overheating.

Some examples... http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/32246-hg-venting-service/

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/31210-saiga-12-k-and-20-k-style-hgs/

• Like 2

The Intrafuse works great, and the AFG on the bottom is pretty nice. The front of the older model of the AFG wraps upward around the Intrafuse almost as if Tapco and Magpul had planned it. However, if you choose to put the sling stud on in front of the bottom rail, the only way to attach the AFG is from back to front, which means that you kinda have to force it forward. See, the tracks on the front of the AFG that fit over the rail, want to be in line just a hair before those upward wraps of the AFG grip is clear of the more squared corners of the rear of the Intrafuse.

But the Intrafuse is good on an S12, it's slim, full length, not very heavy, rails optional and included, and the lower rail is long and foward enough to let you put the AFG all the way forward until it butts against the sling stud. And it's cheap. It doesn't have a top rail for your optic, but you can keep your irons until you decide to get your red dot, and then you can choose either the CSS dovetail rail section that KOTH mentioned, or the Ultimak.

*spelling

Edited by Goose

Here is a good price for what I recommend and use.(mine is not extended) http://www.chaosus.c...ENDED_QUAD_RAIL

I like this. Plenty of room if desires change.

Does the top rail go too far back on top of the dust cover, or is it easy on and off?

Does it work with the gas system good?

It does not clamp the gas tube so, yes good. I believe you can still remove the dust cover, yes.