HK cocking style on Saiga 12 ga gas tube

I remember seeing that when it came out. It's not compatable with the Saiga 12s though. I'd almost envision a thicker operating rod/piston that's drilled and tapped for a handle, and a slot milled into the side of the gas tube. Maybe you could make some kind of sleeve that could go over the op rod? Not sure if that would reciprocate with it or not though.

but I'd worry about that exposed spring collecting crud.

judging by the AR stock, they made that feature for the US civilian market, and not for any military application. so "crud" getting in there wouldn't be a issue, as it's not going be go through any battlefield condition.

If your right handed it means you don't have to reach under the gun to charge after Swyping mags, or tilt the weapon (which ever is your preferred method). Also, it allows you to remove the right side factory charging handle so there are no external moving parts, which is kinda nice if you should find yourself shooting weak handed.

It also allows you to cycle the action while keeping the gun on safe when the right side charging handle is removed.

Only if the hammer is already cocked, if not the carrier cannot push the hammer down past the trigger with the safety on.

Thats why my hammer is always locked, cocked, and ready to rocknaaaa.gif

I've done one like that. I used a Tom cole heavy duty op rod. Drilled and tapped it and used a peice of a old socket to go around the bolt between the charging handle and the op rod to strengthen it. Works great. But you have to use a front pistol grip to keep your hand out of the way.

ETA typo

Edited by Eck-Tek

Pics please. I've thought of it, but didn't like the idea for the hand safety reason. My last thought was a verticle toggle attatched to the piston with a slot on top of the tube. Maybe have a spring loaded handle that wants to lay forward.

• 1 month later...

Topic states it anyone tried to do a HK style cocking on a Saiga 12 gas tube?

Anyone attempted this yet?

Any input on this subject welcomed.

thanks layback

It would be pretty stupid, because an MP-5 is roller delayed blowback. The tube on the MP-5 is only a charging tube, not a gas tube.

Opening up the gas tube on an AK variant would cause carbon to blow everywhere..

It would be pretty stupid, because an MP-5 is roller delayed blowback. The tube on the MP-5 is only a charging tube, not a gas tube.

Opening up the gas tube on an AK variant would cause carbon to blow everywhere..

That's what I thought too.

• Like 1

The S12 is a short stroke gas system though. The puck and vent block most of that gas going down the tube. It might not be that big a deal. Lets put a cut on yours to find out.

Ok, here's my professional mech eng opinion, if anyone wants it.

All that thing is on an hk is a charging handle, as the above have noted. The Saiga uses

that tube to run the piston and the elongated charging rod, as most know. This presents

a couple problems, a minor one being carbon flying everywhere, which it will do.

The bigger problem is how to make the handle pull the op rod, but not make the op-rod pull

the handle. Yes, when firing, that handle needs to NOT reciprocate, as you will eventually lose

the tips of your left fingers when your grip is off one day. Utter violation of safe gun design.

So, problem is, how you you make one grab the other, but not the other way around? Best example

is an AR style handle that pulls the bolt, but the bolt does not pull it.

So, IF one were to make a new tube, with another channel next to it for an AR style charging handle to ride

it in, but put the grip at the front, not rear of the handle, and IF the charger handle blocked the slit in the gas tube,

and IF the new op rod had a boss for the charger to grab, it could work.

However, the saiga gas tube is extruded then crimped, I believe. This would not work for this without extra machine work,

welding, and a whole new op rod. It would cost more than the gun would cost for such a mod, providing one could

find a shop to attempt it. A private consumer doing this would only want to do it if they didn't know how much is involved,

in my opinion.

My advice, learn to do the Spetnaz mag change, and keep it like it was designed.

• Like 1