Was going to pick another Saiga or Vepr but not so hot on that now. Thinking something military pattern but haven't found much outside of FAL or M1A.

Maybe a boltie? Perhaps...

Anyway kinda stuck in the mud here maybe one of you guys has an idea that gets me going again.

Was going to pick another Saiga or Vepr but not so hot on that now. Thinking something military pattern but haven't found much outside of FAL or M1A.

Dude, if thats all you've found then your research skills are piss poor. There are several semi auto .308's on the market right now, and 3 or 4 of them are on my potential list.

But then I already have a STG 58 so it's not like I need another .308...

stgcamo2.jpg

Edited by Jpanzer
  • Like 1

If you don't already have one, I have a thing for the PTR-91. I have been looking to acquire one once I get the cash flowing in again. Until then I just get to dream. They aren't bad from what I have read up and you can't beat the $2/per mags for it. Aluminum and steel, tons of em, everywhere.

Not sure exactly what role I want this rifle to fill. Yeah I know... sorry about that. Like it to be a 2 MOA rifle utterly dependable and something that has spare parts available for a change.

Yeah if money were no object the SCAR17 would be my first pick also but I have other projects going now also so keeping it under $1.5k.

PTR91F looking good, forgot about those may put it ahead of the FAL. They seem a bit ammo picky though but then compared to an AK pattern what isn't.

"Thinking something military pattern but haven't found much ACCEPTABLE outside of FAL or M1A." There fixed it.

As for why not the Russian rifles well I have two and the complete lack of part kits or spares makes me unwilling to further commit to them.

Edited by Rhodes1968

anybody have any knowledge/experience or own a fn fnar.

I own one. It is the FN FNAR. To me, it is a civilian semi auto sitting in a paramilitary stock.

It is EXTREMELY accurate. I slapped a 2x7 Leopold on there and I can hit under 1 MOA groups

all day long, and I'm just a fair shot. However, it has a lot of tiny parts, being the Browning short action

semi auto that has been in many guns for a while. The mags are expensive. I don't think it is as durable

as an M1A or a HK91, but it shoots more accurately than they do. Chromed barrel is nice too.

As for other .308s. To me, the M1A is the native platform for .308. The extruded receiver steel guns are

fun, like the Hk91 or the FAL. If you get an HK91 or a clone, that blowback action will stripe your brass black,

ding the front, and chuck the empty case into whatever zip code is to your immediate starboard bow. The trigger

packs are awful, but they are a serious military rifle.

The M1A is a great weapon. The trigger is good, mags are not very expensive, and the sights are wonderful, the

best irons ever made, many say. An M1A, you buy it, and it just works. No trigger work, no new sights, no pistol grip

conversion. Other than the FNAR it is the most accurate I have shot of the .308s.

Then there's the AR-10. Everything you love about the AR-15, just more badass. If I didn't own 3 .308s already, I'd

get one. Maybe some day I will.

Then, if you want to be old-school awesome, there is the M1 Garand, as there are some .308 versions. Personally,

I'd stay with 30-06 because that's what makes them awesome. I've got one coming in this week and I am stoked.

• Like 1

I shoot my dads SA Match M1A1 all the time, and I can definitely say, its heavy. If you want a rifle to club or bayonet someone, theres none better, its built like a tank. Shoots WAY better than any of us. But I get tired of holding it up after a few mags. Sure, I could lift weights, or just buy a lighter rifle to begin with. Looks amazing though. I would still consider it an essential part of any classic american firearms collection, if yer going for that.

Excellent thoughts folks.

I like the M1A also IF you get a good one, there are some quality issues to contend but generally no more so than any other rifle.

It is the image of the consummate traditional American Battle Rifle, if only I could afford a M14.

Weight? No worse than any Battle Rifle if the stock is composite. I am going to see what I can find out here in a Match version in particular since I am slowly replacing steel with brass cased reloadable ammo. We will see.

AR10? I just have not gotten enough confirmation the problems with the bugger are worked out, they were not four years ago when last I checked. As a side note I detest Stoner rifles, far too many less than acceptable experiences with them when I worked for Uncle.

I agree the FN seems a bit over engineered for my tastes but then compared to a Saiga or Vepr what isn't. Perhaps.

I like the Garand (once you learn to keep your thumb intact) but not going to stock another caliber.

If I go with a boltie the Ruger would be a consideration.

Thanks guys.

Wish it was tax season right now unhappy.gif

Not me, writing a check to the government is not something I look 'forward' to. JM2C

Each year it pays off being a student that always pays too much in taxes I guess. I get a little savings each week, if not as much money as I'd hoped for

• Like 2

On the issue of the SCAR-17, were I to spend that much it would have to be select fire.

Yeah Capt it is hard to decide where to put the limited funds. Between Food, silver, gold, stockpiled cash, gasoline, medical supplies, etc etc etc not to mention every day living expenses things are tight enough. I am even seriously considering reducing my firearm inventory to reinvest the proceeds into perceived wiser choices. Is shedding all the 9mm stuff worth expanding the 308 and 40SW stock, yeah think it is frankly.

I thank you guys for the help though.

BTW anyone notice how hard it is to find decent quality 308 brass lately?

Personally I find the SCAR17 Mo-fugly. that stock is horrid... it looked like a huge BOOT to me LONG before that picture of the UGG was posted... it just reafirmed its got the dumbest looking stock on the planet... fix THAT... and maybe I could consider one... 015.gif Maybe something like the telescoping stock off an H&K... That would do the trick for the REST of it... :up:

000.gif

On the issue of the SCAR-17, were I to spend that much it would have to be select fire.

Yeah Capt it is hard to decide where to put the limited funds. Between Food, silver, gold, stockpiled cash, gasoline, medical supplies, etc etc etc not to mention every day living expenses things are tight enough. I am even seriously considering reducing my firearm inventory to reinvest the proceeds into perceived wiser choices. Is shedding all the 9mm stuff worth expanding the 308 and 40SW stock, yeah think it is frankly.

Where i live it has been four months since i have been able to get my hands on cheap 308 ammo every store/shop in town has been sold out and a couple places said they aren't even trying to get it anymore

I ended up getting rid of my .40, and picking up a 9mm. So now have to buy for that all over again. lol. But in my neck of the woods, seems .45 and .308 and 5.45 are the hardest to find in a decent quantity. Seems most shops stock 9,40 and 357 pretty good and 223, 30-30 and 270 pretty good.

I think you'll make the right choice and so long as its something you want and feel fair about then go for it. I usually buy all my harder to find items on the net anyways.

Personally I find the SCAR17 Mo-fugly. that stock is horrid... it looked like a huge BOOT to me LONG before that picture of the UGG was posted... it just reafirmed its got the dumbest looking stock on the planet... fix THAT... and maybe I could consider one... 015.gif Maybe something like the telescoping stock off an H&K... That would do the trick for the REST of it... 032.gif

000.gif

As ugly as it is Indy, thats what makes it beautiful! I prefer the stock of the ACR, with the SCAR platform. I think that would be a nice blend.

Personally I find the SCAR17 Mo-fugly. that stock is horrid... it looked like a huge BOOT to me LONG before that picture of the UGG was posted... it just reafirmed its got the dumbest looking stock on the planet... fix THAT... and maybe I could consider one... 015.gif Maybe something like the telescoping stock off an H&K... That would do the trick for the REST of it... :up:

000.gif

Funny thing is, when the fucker is shoved into your stinky armpit you won't notice it. Whatever homely looks you might think it has disappear real quickly when you can't wipe the smile off your face from shooting the lightest, most well balanced, and softest shooting .308 on the face of the earth. To me they are nothing but absolutely beautiful.

81ce432a.jpg

• Like 2