I'm in the market for a new gun in the 500 dollar range and I just really can't decide on one. The thing is, the longer I wait the more likely it is that these will turn into 525 dollar guns, and then 550, 575, 600, etc... This will be my first centerfire rifle.

Here goes:

AMD-65 (7.62x39) for 459 shipped.

Vepr in 5.45x39 for 500 + 15 shipping.

Wait around for a Saiga IZ-240 (5.45x39) for 379-400.

WASR-10 for 500 + 15 shipping.

WASR 10 seems like the worst deal, doesn't really have anything going for it except that it's the closest to a standard AKM. The AMD-65 really has me intrigued and with some furniture upgrades and a cheek riser down the road it could be pretty nice.

The Vepr seems like it has the highest quality build, but a conversion would be expensive and more difficult than the Saiga, also much less parts for it on the market. The Saiga is the choice I really want, and the cheapest, but I can't find an IZ-240 anywhere and I'm thinking when more come on the market it will likely cost 425 or more.

God damn rising gun and ammo prices.

I hope this is relevant to the forums, I just figured there are a lot of people who are knowledgeable on the subject and two of the guns I listed have sub-forums on here.

Id go with the Vepr. Its not that hard. You can get bolt on lhg retainers, and a receiver block and be done with it. If anything, its no harder than converting a Saiga. The only work you'll have to really do is tap the trunnion.

If you prefer the saiga there some out there. Gunbroker should have some.

Gunbroker is the only place I could find, but I've never dealt with an auction site before. I'd rather not, but maybe my apprehension is unwarranted. (EDIT: just checked GB, Saiga IZ240's are 425 doesn't seem worth it)

@Captain Hero: The other dilemma with the Vepr is the two models: integrated sights with a threaded barrel, or RPK style windage adjustable sights without a threaded barrel? I should just flip a coin at this point haha.

@Bulldog_Shotgun: I don't know If I'd trust a gun I built myself. I'm not that mechanically inclined. The way prices are going though I will probably look into some more though.

Edited by bitters

Get the AMD 65. I have one and love it! It's the lightest and easiest to maneuver of all my variants. I held off getting one for years because I always thought it was the ugliest gun ever made, but now that I own one, I wish I had more. If you go that route, just make sure it's an FEG made in Hungary.

My 01 RPK style has a factory threaded barrel.

http://forum.saiga-1...45-closer-look/

Damn that looks awesome. Where did you order it from? I'm looking at Centerfire Systems and the close up photo does not look like it has a threaded barrel, whereas the integrated sight model clearly has a muzzle cap. I guess I could call them up

@TheDarkHorse and King of the Hill: I was 99% sure on the AMD 65 until the prices hiked up yesterday.

Alright so it looks like I've narrowed it down to the Vepr 5.45 or AMD-65. Maaaaaan I want both! I guess the real question is, which one is more likely to go up in price? The AMD-65 just went up 20-60 dollars on the sites I checked, so I assume it will be a little while before they increase AGAIN. The Vepr for 500 doesn't seem like it will stick around long at all (and only one site has it for this price). In a couple months I should be able to save up another 500 and have both.

Thoughts? By the way, thanks so much for the comments. I've just been bouncing it around in my head all week and suck at making decisions like this.

Thanks.

These decisions are hard. Just get what you feel you want more. lol. I bought mine from a local shop. I got to inspect it prior to purchase. But it was the only 5.45 he had on the wall, and it happened to have that thread cap. So I snagged it. I imagine you could call Centerfire and they should be able to tell you if they have any or not with threads. Either way you cant go wrong really.

And I have no clue on how long the Vepr's will be at that price. Prolly just until they run out of stock. Hard to say at this point. \

Good luck in your quest bro!

Thanks.

These decisions are hard. Just get what you feel you want more. lol. I bought mine from a local shop. I got to inspect it prior to purchase. But it was the only 5.45 he had on the wall, and it happened to have that thread cap. So I snagged it. I imagine you could call Centerfire and they should be able to tell you if they have any or not with threads. Either way you cant go wrong really.

And I have no clue on how long the Vepr's will be at that price. Prolly just until they run out of stock. Hard to say at this point. \

Good luck in your quest bro!

Ha thanks man. I'm going for the Vepr then at this point then. The AMD65 will likely stay in the 500 dollar range a lot longer and i'll pick it up later down the road. Did you keep your Vepr stock? They look so nice I'm not even sure if I'd want to get rid of the furniture.

I kept my furniture on it. After shooting it, it feels rather nice despite not looking like its comfy. They are nice rifles, and at 500 bucks, very hard to pass up on. Every other place that carries these still prices them at 600+, wich is their normal going rate.

Depends on what you're looking to do with it. WASRs are not bad. Most people don't care if the get scratched and what not.

Hit-n-miss.

One of my WASRs was great from day 1. I was so pleased with it, I bought another....

The other looked like it was all in order upon pre-purchase inspection, but upon testing it was an FTE special.

The ID of the gas block turned out to be .015" oversize, then the piston's OD was undersized compared to factory pistons.

The combination let gas blow right by & wouldn't even set the hammer back far enough to be grabbed by the disconnector.

$25.00 later for a new gas block and all's good, but just a heads up to look for that possibility for people who go the WASR route, if you run into any weird issues that seem like it's undergassed.

Bitters if it makes you feel any better, I have made several purchases through Gunbroker for years (and actually sold a couple of things) with not one problem. The key as with any auction site is to look at the history of the seller. As a matter of fact my recently aquired Saiga 12 was purchased through Gunbroker a week ago.