Anyone want to share personal prepping tips?

Since it seems to be a current topic, I figured why not ask. I'll say this about my personal prepping. I have a family of four and as such, I have four similar rifles in a common caliber. Same goes for handguns and yes, shotguns. My idea was to share mags, and ammo with no problems. I also have rifles in the common calibers used by local law enforcement. I live next to a big ass river full of bass, catfish and gar, and I'm surrounded by feral hogs and javelina.

Just random thoughts:

Always increase and upgrade skills and knowledge.

Don't advertise.

Never think you have enough of (fill in the blank).

Shot placement is key.

Be ready to help others but also be ready to be the utter barbarian savage.

Know yourself.

Don't hesitate.

Accept consequences.

Know that death is not the worst thing that could happen.

Fully understand the reason why you are prepping -- is it just to survive? For what?

Don't prep for only one eventuality.

• Like 2

Start camping and using your gear and become practiced with it.

I second this. Its a good method of practicing all sorts of ways of living without conveniences.

Come up with a reasonable plan of sustainability. Don't just think 'Well, I'll fish or I'll hunt." and think that's enough (not saying your are, but only you can answer that). Really, really think about food sources and the competition for them when the grocery stores dry up. Cover your bases and include water, limited power, medical contingencies. Once you come up with a plan, figure out how long it will take you to get to that point of sustainability. Once you figure that out, six months, a year, two years... start building your immediate food storage and water processing capabilities to allow your family to make it to that date.

Its fun to think about security and building up your armory... but food+water+plan should be the main focus.

• Like 2

There really is no way to prep for an apocalyptic disaster if you think about it. If you get something as simple as bronchitis you will most likey die. Anyone on medications is screwed, even if you broke into a drug store and stole enough to last six months... what then! I do believe in being prepared for a natural disaster so we have food and water and we are safe from looters. I plan to get an inverter to connect to a car battery for limited power and maybe a small solar panel to keep the battery charged up between uses. It can be jump charged from the car during an emergency. A generator takes up space and if not used and maintained regularly could fail when you need it.

#1 concern is Food and Water

Non perishable food stores, advancing goals, three months, six months and one year.

Seed for vegetable garden, tools.

Berkey Black or Berkey white ceramic, filtration system for your water needs, and/or a good well with a manual pump system, e.g. hand pump/wind mill.

Take advantage of the river, fish traps, gill nets, cast nets, spare rod/reels-n-tackle

Transport, and/or fishing, canoe, raft, kayak, small dinghy with sail.

Various small animal traps, hog trap, learn the art of trapping, better to trap and quietly kill than shoot your food, and it conserves ammo.

Learn to preserve your food stuffs, canning, salting/smoking... Root cellar, spring house, smoke house.

#2 Shelter & Clothing

Pretty much self explanatory.

#3 Medical

Hygiene, disinfectants & antibiotics.... Repeat this 100 times.

Basic first aid supplies and the knowledge to use it.

Advanced first aid supplies and Antibiotics, and the knowledge to use it.

#4 Firearms, ammo and parts/supplies.

I've made a few extensive listings of Prep Items, search my posts.

I have been "prepping" all of my life. This was something I was taught as a child growing up along the Gulf Coast by my father. Remember, this was a different time when people were self reliant. I would recommend these items listed below for a start. Also, learn to start a small garden and grow your own food.

http://www.westonsup...uum sealers.htm

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B001P2J3K0

http://www.amazon.co...American canner

Good luck. Be safe and prepared,

smile.png

Edited by yakdung

Gell for maintaining the post-apocalyptic Mohawk!!!

But seriously, Get some feminine products for the wife. It would suck to not have access to a store during "Her Time". All of those little comforts that make a big difference.

Just like the T.P., like TexasAK said.

Gell for maintaining the post-apocalyptic Mohawk!!!

But seriously, Get some feminine products for the wife. It would suck to not have access to a store during "Her Time". All of those little comforts that make a big difference.

Just like the T.P., like TexasAK said.

Tampons makes a great bandage.... and really easy application.

I actually have a roll of T.P. in each of my vehicles. It is far between towns here in Montana, and if I break down in the mountains, or some back road, it is nice to have if you may be away from everything for a while.

Reading material as well......Stuck on the side of the road in a blizzard?......just flip open a book.

Having T.P. helps save the pages.

Edited by RobRez

I leave the prepping for the paranoid. I figure I've got enough firepower to go get whatever the fuck I'll want/need. Lol.

So your plan is to become a thief? People who say this always bother me, because they gloss over the implicit wrong. I don't think you can take this any other way since it is the only way you might get "whatever... (you) want/need" through firepower alone. Edited by Mythos

I leave the prepping for the paranoid. I figure I've got enough firepower to go get whatever the fuck I'll want/need. Lol.

So your plan is to become a thief? People who say this always bother me, because they gloss over the implicit wrong. I don't think you can take this any other way since it is the only way you might get "whatever... (you) want/need" through firepower alone.

I don't think he's seriously planning on it one way or another... He's just saying he won't starve for lack of trying if it comes down to it.

So your plan is to become a thief? People who say this always bother me, because they gloss over the implicit wrong. I don't think you can take this any other way since it is the only way you might get "whatever... (you) want/need" through firepower alone.

Sorry, I'm a sarcastic SOB.

I leave the non-prepping to the fools.

I figure there is plenty of space in the back to compost their thieving asses...

As for tips, get on a survival site and get some good info. This place is for advice from riflemen.

On the matter of should you or should you not prepare, well if you have to ask random strangers you likely wont anyway.

Want to know?

http://shtfschool.com/

Say hello to Selco, a survivor from Bosnia. Read what he endured for over a year.

This

Edited by Rhodes1968

Sure.

I have one...

Make sure you're right with the Lord.

Not right with the self righteous fucks that run churches, as they generally have most of it wrong. Just pick up the user's manual, and seek the answers to your questions yourself, while asking the Lord for guidance.

If someone thinks something's coming and they don't, they're fools.

Economic disparity, huge comets, one world government, massive natural disasters, chaos, etc.... many people think one or another will happen, but if they actually researched, they'd see it's all foretold in the scriptures.

Sure, hoard... But don't expect to be able to get to it. (Matt 24:17)

Follow the Lord. He'll guide you better that anything you can prep for.......

But there's a catch.

You may very well be killed for your faith if you do. That's part of it. Remember Matt 16:25, when Jesus said; "those who find their lives will lose them, but those who give their lives for me, will find them"

If you fancy yourself a christian and think you're going to deny those in need when they ask, You're fooling yourselves. You're not a follower of Christ.

The Lord would rather you come to him and the lost have a chance to find salvation, than have you kill the lost before they can be saved, to add a couple days to your own physical existence.

If a person were really one of faith, they would have faith in the Lord to guide them, and that would be their greatest and most effective preparation.

Keep in mind, Moses was denied entry into the promised land because of his arrogance when he took matters into his own hands and the Lord took it as an affront. Even back to Adam & Eve when they, with their actions said that they could do better on their own.

Just some things to keep in mind when pondering the subject...

That being said.... A bunch of food, salt, camping gear, guns, and ammo never hurts to have. 032.gif

• Like 2

I actually have a roll of T.P. in each of my vehicles. It is far between towns here in Montana, and if I break down in the mountains, or some back road, it is nice to have if you may be away from everything for a while.

Reading material as well......Stuck on the side of the road in a blizzard?......just flip open a book.

Having T.P. helps save the pages.

What about bookmarkers? They surely must be better for saving pages than toilet paper.

Sure.

I have one...

Make sure you're right with the Lord.

Not right with the self righteous fucks that run churches, as they generally have most of it wrong. Just pick up the user's manual, and seek the answers to your questions yourself, while asking the Lord for guidance.

If someone thinks something's coming and they don't, they're fools.

Economic disparity, huge comets, one world government, massive natural disasters, chaos, etc.... many people think one or another will happen, but if they actually researched, they'd see it's all foretold in the scriptures.

Sure, hoard... But don't expect to be able to get to it. (Matt 24:17)

Follow the Lord. He'll guide you better that anything you can prep for.......

But there's a catch.

You may very well be killed for your faith if you do. That's part of it. Remember Matt 16:25, when Jesus said; "those who find their lives will lose them, but those who give their lives for me, will find them"

If you fancy yourself a christian and think you're going to deny those in need when they ask, You're fooling yourselves. You're not a follower of Christ.

The Lord would rather you come to him and the lost have a chance to find salvation, than have you kill the lost before they can be saved, to add a couple days to your own physical existence.

If a person were really one of faith, they would have faith in the Lord to guide them, and that would be their greatest and most effective preparation.

Keep in mind, Moses was denied entry into the promised land because of his arrogance when he took matters into his own hands and the Lord took it as an affront. Even back to Adam & Eve when they, with their actions said that they could do better on their own.

Just some things to keep in mind when pondering the subject...

That being said.... A bunch of food, salt, camping gear, guns, and ammo never hurts to have. 032.gif

Well spoken, brother! I tell others that the best thing they can do to prep is get right with God and learn everything they can about themselves. Lots of great replies on here. Water and food are the most impairative, shelter and weapons. It's equally important to know how to build/provide/maintain/ and use these things, and get together with a like minded group which individuals has specific skills, i.e... improvising, adapting, and overcoming, or the desire to. Trustworthy folk who are skilled at medical, construction, bushcraft, are mechanically inclined, farming and ranching, security, hunting and fishing, preserving foods, ect...

I have gotten a ton of great info from survivalblog.com for the past few years. A wealth of info, and the owner is Christian. I would like to also add that I have a lot of books pertaining to survival, health/ medical, and a bunch of stuff in between which will be worth its weight in gold, should the grid go down and knock us all into the 18th century, or much worse.

Lots of good info on here. Keep em coming fellas!