What a $600 magazine looks like- pic

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definite sponsorship opportunities. I've sponsored USPSA shooters in the past and I really don't care if you win or loose. Attending a lot of matches and some space on the Jerseys is all I'm looking for. Contact me again when the production mags are getting close.

Kevin

Wish I could step up to the plate on this one Kevin, but I'm just gearing up to start shooting in this arena. Seems like once your a shooter it's in your blood. I feel confident that there are members that compete on a regular basis, and by the way they represent themselves on the board, would probably be good candidates to represent your product. It's kind of a cool thing when you get in on the ground floor of something like this, and when all goes well, makes for a lot of good times and long term friendships.

Edited by 6500rpm
Definite sponsorship opportunities. I've sponsored USPSA shooters in the past and I really don't care if you win or loose. Attending a lot of matches and some space on the Jerseys is all I'm looking for. Contact me again when the production mags are getting close.

Kevin

Hey I shoot for Benny Hill out of Corpus Christi and make most 3-gun matches around the us, My next match will be at Fort Benning GA in Dec. Let me know if i can get a few mags for display for you do not know how many saiga will be there but I will be shooting mine with my 10rds mags.

What would be clever is if they were produced in a Smoked/Semi-Transparent finish.

Then a cardboard template would be included with each magazine, with a number of circles cut into the cardboard template.

You would lay the cardboard template over the mag and then spray with black spray paint, only leaving small viewing windows that would be the smoked/semi-transparent color.

You kill two birds with one stone this way.

Those that want clear can have it.

Those that want black can have it.

Those that want viewing windows can have it.

Physical shop yes =see www.agpturbo.com

Not taking any pre-orders right now. We'll have them ready when you get back.

The first run will be black because it is the strongest and I'm sure it's what most people want. Opaques and colors will be in the second run after we sell enough of the blacks to make this whole thing worth while. I need to sell 500 of them out right away to start getting some money back out of this project.

Kevin

BTW can you guys see the 18rd monopod potential here:) For you DIY guys who have mad epoxy skillz.

Kevin

So how much are we talkin?

If you say 20 bucks they need to make you an honorary mod for life here!

No no no no no... we LIKE folks like Z1500. Because of that we DON'T want to do them such adisservice as making them moderators.

Re: fragility. The Russians mold around a steel frame on the entire top of the mag as well as the fronts and backs for just that reason. I don't know what kind of plastic you are using, but reinforced polyamides are really tough, and fairly rigid, which is why so many AK mags are made of it. I know it' really adds a big pain to the process, but, I am afraid that the steel reinforcement will not be something you will be able to get around. The very length of the mag is reason for it to need a framework so it doesn't shift and deform. Even slight deformation sends the Izhmash factory Saiga 12 mags into vapor lock. Anyone who has clamped them knows that all too well. We all thank you for the effort guys! Good going, and good luck! Keep at it.

I logged in for the first time in over a year just to post in this thread. That is how impressed I am.

So 10 round mags are on the way... Anyone know when production will actually begin? Will pricing be similar to synthetic AK mags or more similar to USAS12 drums?

If they turn out to be under 30 bucks, I will probably buy a bunch.

• 3 weeks later...
Re: fragility. The Russians mold around a steel frame on the entire top of the mag as well as the fronts and backs for just that reason.

USAS-12 mags have no reinforcement and I adapted one to my Saiga 12 a loooong time ago.

My only concern is that the 10rd semi 12ga thing will put our Saigas in the same class as a Street Sweeper or USAS-12(registered destructive devices)

We could find ourselves having to register our Saiga 12s after the next presidential election.

Nice magazine, too bad it's only a stereo lith part but it proves the concept. The magazine will be fine with reinforced polyimide (nylon). There's no need to use steel reinforcement in the magazine as long as the shrinkage is controlled and the magazine doesn't warp during cooldown.

Re: fragility. The Russians mold around a steel frame on the entire top of the mag as well as the fronts and backs for just that reason.

USAS-12 mags have no reinforcement and I adapted one to my Saiga 12 a loooong time ago.

My only concern is that the 10rd semi 12ga thing will put our Saigas in the same class as a Street Sweeper or USAS-12(registered destructive devices)

We could find ourselves having to register our Saiga 12s after the next presidential election.

Sopmod, I've only seen one converted USAS12 mag conversion pic, shooter is aiming over a small body of water. Is that your work?

Any chance you could share some info or pics on how it was done? Has it held up?

• 2 weeks later...
i'm getting a chubby!!

Are you going to include the metal inserts in the mags like the factory versions?

You have nice mag there in terms of design of the stereo lithography but have you actually checked one for function? I bet those mags didn't hold up so well under a functional test.

Have you tested those springs from wolf yet? I bet those springs even at wholesale arn't going to justify $40.00 a pop.

Ian

http://www.saigasolutions.com/

Edited by badz2801
How much are your's gonna run badz?

If the protective coating is removed they will rust at the same rate depending on conditions as regular steel.

Perhaps removing the paint of your AK mag and spraying it with a water solution would provide a better answer for you.

Both types of mags have faults I am just interested in knowing if the polymer mags will have metal inserts. I tried using just polymer in my mag design. I ended up snapping the spine and chipping the mounting points which is why I switched to metal.

I am interested in purchasing some of the polymer versions as well. So as a consumer I am just trying to be informed about the mags construction.

Ian

Edited by badz2801

My mags will have metal inserts. If anyone wants to evaluate the polymer I will be using, run down to Home Depot. Find the Vice Grip brand poly clamps, pull one off the shelf and try to break it. My mags will be out of the same material. The shop that is building my molds built the mold and squirts them for Vice Grip.

The prototype has been fired and has functioned 100%.

The springs did come in way over budget. As with everything on this project I went way over board with the best quality I could get. So the springs are made out of Chrome Silicone wire so they will never take a set or wear out, they will also be sufficient if the mags are extended.

How does that saying go;

On-time, On-budget, good quality- pick one. I sure have learned a lot about sonic welding in the last couple weeks. This project may be the death of me.

Kevin

If the protective coating is removed they will rust at the same rate depending on conditions as regular steel.

Perhaps removing the paint of your AK mag and spraying it with a water solution would provide a better answer for you.

Both types of mags have faults I am just interested in knowing if the polymer mags will have metal inserts. I tried using just polymer in my mag design. I ended up snapping the spine and chipping the mounting points which is why I switched to metal.

I am interested in purchasing some of the polymer versions as well. So as a consumer I am just trying to be informed about the mags construction.

badz2801 - I don't think Cobra was referring to mag longevity - I think he was referring to cost...

badz2801 - I don't think Cobra was referring to mag longevity - I think he was referring to cost...

I didn't say "RUST" I said "RUN", as in how much are they going to cost? If you are going to come on here and question the durability and cost of Z1500's mags then you should be willing to share the same kind of info on your own mags.

If he does produce them for $40 a pop then I'm fairly certain that cost will be less than the steel ones. That's the reason I asked.

The springs did come in way over budget. As with everything on this project I went way over board with the best quality I could get. So the springs are made out of Chrome Silicone wire so they will never take a set or wear out, they will also be sufficient if the mags are extended.

Kevin

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

I like the way Kevin thinks. He's spent thousands of dollars and untold hours designing the magazines, and he's not too proud to know that as soon as they're in our hands we will be tinkering on them. He even designed them for that purpose. Can we say 20rounders for ~$80? :killer:

Kevin,

When Can I Buy, When Can I Buy?

Pray Tell, Pray Tell!

CGuns

Whops my mistake...for some reason I thought it was rust (I won't posts early in the day from now on). I apologize for that.

I don't have definitive pricing information on my mags yet. They will be cost competitive. I don't want to post a price as things may change.

Z1500

Thats good news the metal inserts will be included.

Concerning the STL - $600.00 mag you had made. I am shocked it worked and didn't break as the gun functioned. I have a fair bit of experience with that process and it generally does not hold up well. Could you post a pic or video of you using that mag? Granted I understand your mags will be constructed from a different material, however I have never been able to get a STL prototype to stand up to that kind of force.

All mag springs wear out...even CS wire.

Are your mags going to be available at the end of January? Also with your over priced springs do you intend to keep your projected price of $40.00?

Ian

Edited by badz2801

Kevin, you realize that your thread here will likely break a few records :) hi interest factor.

Curiosity question, the Prototype that has been tested? Was that the original that was looking opaque? I'm guessing that it was one closer to the final version?

Dont' stop any real work to answer me, just wondering outloud(on the keyboard)