Saiga 12 blueprints required for Abrams M1A2 tank project

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone would have a set of blueprints or the like of a saiga 12 which shows all the mounting holes etc.

I have a project where I am building a 1/6th scale RC Abrams M1A2 Main Battle tank which has been designed around the size of a Saiga 12, it was always going to be the main gun because its

• Semi Auto
  • has a mag loading system
  • has a short mechanism
  • I want a good recoil :)

also if there was anyone in Auckland New Zealand that would have one I could have a look at to get sizing's etc of it that would be awesome, its always better to work of a physical item rather than a drawing.

My project blog is here if you want to have a look at the progress and any help with plans would be fantastic

http://spudnik1970.blogspot.co.nz/

Grant

There are not really "mounting holes" in the receiver. Might be able to use the rear trunion to mount the rear on a hinge and be able to raise or lower the gun.

You would likely have to sandwich certain areas of the receiver or the rear of the barrel into a bracket to hold it in place. You might be able to figure out a mount that uses the side rail but I am not sure it would hold up if used alone. The receiver would probably need to be mounted on its side because of the magazine.

Here are the receiver drawings for a AK receiver.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ar15.com%2Fcontent%2Fmanuals%2FAK47ReceiverPlanRev2.pdf&ei=deVSUfTMLKrT0gHkuICgDw&usg=AFQjCNGaqQpOZy5ysYQfNLeZiV8xJtDUmQ

Even if that was the intent, if he is controlling the trigger with a solenoid that would be easier to acheive electronically.

That is why people are so reluctant to use electromechanical trigger mechanisms here. It would be very hard to do so in a way that wouldn't be easy to make FA.

Remember that in NZ it is apparently easy to get FA toys, but illegal to shoot them.

So, you're building a remote control drone with a shotgun mounted to it, you are posting from overseas, and you want forum members to give you advice on how build it?

I don't believe anyone here can lawfully advise you.

• Like 1
So, you're building a remote control drone with a shotgun mounted to it, you are posting from overseas, and you want forum members to give you advice on how build it?

Thanks, Mike... That was exactly the point I was trying to make.

It DOES sound like a cool project though! I just wouldn't want anyone here to get tangled up in something bad just for offering advice.

• Like 1

No I don't want members to tell me how to build it, I already know how to build it its not rocket science (don't panic im not building missiles), I was asking about mounting locations to be able to affix it.

I also find it very hard to believe that anyone would get in trouble for supplying plans or telling me how I could mount it when on this forum there are plenty of posts about how to make other mods to it and even how to build one from scratch!

At the end of the day its a toy tank that is designed to shoot other toy tanks in a controlled environment (you can call it a drone if you want but if that's the case RC cars, boats, planes and helicopters are drones as well), NZ has much stricter gun rules than the states and even getting a Saiga 12 in NZ is bloody hard to do, we don't just let everybody who thinks they have the right to have a gun, have a gun. I just thought that someone hopefully in NZ would be able to let me have a look at one to get some measurements.

Also you may want to recognise the fact that not everyone on this forum is from the USA.

I also didn't ask for drawings of the bolt carrier to mount the receiver that was someone else

• Like 3

NZ has much stricter gun rules than the states and even getting a Saiga 12 in NZ is bloody hard to do, we don't just let everybody who thinks they have the right to have a gun, have a gun.

We KNOW we have that Right, as well as many others. Piss off.

• Like 3

I think you project is a very interesting idea, and looks cool... drone, RC, whatever, I want to see video when it's done...

However, you might want to stay away from the "rights" issue, as that won't gain you any headway from folks here in the US...

Our constitution details basic human rights that not only US citizens enjoy, but basically are rights that all persons are granted by their Creator... it's there not only to ENUMERATE (list) these rights, it's there more-so to show those in power that we have them and they shouldn't be infringed upon.

The more rights that one "gives up"... the more subservient they become to TPTB. Don't be a slave... Don't drink the cool-aid!!!

See my quote below... -----\/

Edited by HotShot308
  • Like 3

Sounds like NZ is a pretty shitty place to live, someone pass me the kool aid. Apparently I could use some.

Something sounds fishy about this. If you were able to get a saiga 12, you should be able to get your own measurements. If you can't get one for this purpose, then why even ask if you can't use it anyway? Good call Mike

Edited by dustindu4
  • Like 2
I think you project is a very interesting idea, and looks cool... drone, RC, whatever, I want to see video when it's done...

However, you might want to stay away from the "rights" issue, as that won't gain you any headway from folks here in the US...

Our constitution details basic human rights that not only US citizens enjoy, but basically are rights that all persons are granted by their Creator... it's there not only to ENUMERATE (list) these rights, it's there more-so to show those in power that we have them and they shouldn't be infringed upon.

The more rights that one "gives up"... the more subservient they become to TPTB. Don't be a slave... Don't drink the cool-aid!!!

Corrected it for you.

• Like 2

Corrected it for you.

Thank you, I like it!!... I updated the original accordingly... big_smile.gif

Sounds like NZ is a pretty shitty place to live, someone pass me the kool aid. Apparently I could use some.

Something sounds fishy about this. If you were able to get a saiga 12, you should be able to get your own measurements. If you can't get one for this purpose, then why even ask if you can't use it anyway? Good call Mike

Yeh your right its a complete shithole, I mean god our cops don't carry guns on them, you can walk down the street and you can be 99.9999% sure that the person walking towards you wont be packing a gun and your kids can go to school without having to worry that some bloody muppet will decide that someone has been mean to them and they should take a small bloody arsenal to school and teach everyone a lesson!!

Your right its a complete shithole of a place to live, but at least you have a much higher chance of living.

Don't get me wrong, I think the work the US does around the world and the sacrifice that your guys in uniform make every bloody day to deal with the world wide muppet show is fantastic, someone has to be the world police at the end of the day and the US have stood up and taken on the role, I glad someone has and our boys are there as well doing what's needed.

I really don't understand what about what I am doing is "fishy"?? Is it the fact that I can not just walk into a gun store and ask to see one as they don't hold them in stock and will only get them in to order or is it the fact that I sound like a terrorist or something trying to make the next big doomsday machine, if its the latter then paranoid much guys?

If you guys in the states are worried about this just don't respond to the post, leave it to people from other places to reply, you don't have to reply if your worried about getting in trouble.

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone would have a set of blueprints or the like of a saiga 12 which shows all the mounting holes etc.

How about everyone sticks to the OP's original question. Anything else will be deleted and the poster dealt with accordingly.

Respectfully,

Gunny

Your right its a complete shithole of a place to live, but at least you have a much higher chance of living.

Don't get me wrong, I think the work the US does around the world and the sacrifice that your guys in uniform make every bloody day to deal with the world wide muppet show is fantastic, someone has to be the world police at the end of the day and the US have stood up and taken on the role, I glad someone has and our boys are there as well doing what's needed.

I really don't understand what about what I am doing is "fishy"?? Is it the fact that I can not just walk into a gun store and ask to see one as they don't hold them in stock and will only get them in to order or is it the fact that I sound like a terrorist or something trying to make the next big doomsday machine, if its the latter then paranoid much guys?

If you guys in the states are worried about this just don't respond to the post, leave it to people from other places to reply, you don't have to reply if your worried about getting in trouble.

1. You can relocate. You seem educated in the English language and have a desire for firearms and robotics, that puts you in the 99.99 percentile vs. the Mexicans our government so lusts after!! I'd welcome you to fire my collection at any time, at my expense, that goes for ANYONE!!! The more "gun nuts" out there, the better.

2. Most of us think the "work" the US does around the globe is total shit. We should be dealing with our problems at home (and we have many)... There is an old expression, "Keep up your own backyard before knocking on your neighbors door." Somehow, as a nation, we can't see that. If we had the capitol for philanthropy I wouldn't have a problem, but we obvious do not have that capital.

3. Sorry,,, You're right, you weren't the guy asking about the bolt. Sorry for my mistake. I hope you got what you needed off of the previous responses.

Hi all

How about everyone sticks to the OP's original question. Anything else will be deleted and the poster dealt with accordingly.

Respectfully,

Gunny

WTF, Gunny? What's with the sudden passion over this issue? We don't have "stay on topic" police in any other thread. Seriously? Nobody here was trying to cause harm!

WTF, Gunny? What's with the sudden passion over this issue? We don't have "stay on topic" police in any other thread. Seriously? Nobody here was trying to cause harm!

Hey, Maxwelhse...really, WTF Gunny????

I have no other passion here on the forum other than putting members in their place when they begin to be ignorant. So in light of your recent findings of what I do here for you all I will also inform you of what you do not have the right to do and that is how I do my job as a Moderator. If you continue to do this I'll disallow your right to keep posting on the forum. Roger?

Semper Fi,

Gunny

Spudnik- We get most of our Saigas in a gimped "sporterized" format with a wonky trigger and a montecarlo stock. the holes from the axis pins could make good mounting points. However, I think yours are probably a proper Kalashnikov format. I would think your easiest mounting would be from 3 places.

1. the holes in the tang.

2. The PG nut hole.

3. the 5mm 1.0 rh hole in the underside of the gas block where the fore-end bolts on.

However, it might be easier to bore a 22mm hole in a block and slide the barrel through and either clamp or use a set screw.

• Like 2
Spudnik- We get most of our Saigas in a gimped "sporterized" format with a wonky trigger and a montecarlo stock. the holes from the axis pins could make good mounting points. However, I think yours are probably a proper Kalashnikov format. I would think your easiest mounting would be from 3 places.

1. the holes in the tang.

2. The PG nut hole.

3. the 5mm 1.0 rh hole in the underside of the gas block where the fore-end bolts on.

However, it might be easier to bore a 22mm hole in a block and slide the barrel through and either clamp or use a set screw.

Hay thanks heaps for the info, I think the 22mm hole in the front of the mount may work well as the whole receiver will be inside with just the barrel coming out the front of the turret.

Im going to have to try and track down someone over here that has one to look at to be able to fabricate the mount fully as I don't think holding just the barrel would work and besides which I would like to hold up the back end if possible as well, the whole thing will be lying on its side anyway inside the turret.

I will also have to look at making the barrel longer but according to one of the gun shops over here its not hard to do :)

Cheers

Grant

• Like 1
Uhhh... Why do you need drawings of the bolt carrier to mount the receiver?

This is starting to seem a bit fishy... Next will come the select fire questions...

I was piggybacking off the blueprint request with my post regarding Bolt and Carrier. (nothing in relation to the tank project)

Mostly because I was thinking it would be nice to have a 3D model and 2D detail of an unprofiled bolt and then one profiled.

(I made the mistake of not reverse engineering mine before profiling and polishing.)

The bolt has hard edges, once modeled in 3D by removing material with variable fillets would give a good before and after and these models could be used to create dimensional drawings for a DIY'ers

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with telling anyone how to do anything. It's when you start to talk about actually doing it when charges happen. So to say we could get in trouble for this is just stupid.

If I was making this I'd make a block to insert into the rear where the stick is and mount that to the frame of the tank.

• Like 1
There's nothing wrong with telling anyone how to do anything. It's when you start to talk about actually doing it when charges happen. So to say we could get in trouble for this is just stupid.

If I was making this I'd make a block to insert into the rear where the stick is and mount that to the frame of the tank.

That's a good idea for the rear of the reciever... maybe use an external receiver block adapter...2359483.JPG

Then you could bolt to that however you want, and not have to alter the receiver of the S-12.

• Like 1

so if he is in NZ, and we are here, how would we get in trouble again? im callin tinfoil hat on that one, ATF has no jurisdiction there, and NZ has none here....while i might be reluctant, lets not go full retard here....

could probabaly use the space under the barrel where the rear of handgaurd locks into secure to as well. that area gets drilled and tapped for magwells correct?

Edited by filthygovemploye