Coworker brings in old magazines for the breakroom about once a month. I Saw an issue of Shooting Times from 2005, and grabbed it. While flipping through it, I found an ad for Natchez Shooter's Supply. I almost cried at the prices. Here's a few:

Lake City M855, 1K case, $169

Lake City M193, 1K case, $149

Yugo M67 Surplus, 1260 can in crate, $99

Federal .45 APC 230gr FMJ, 500 rounds, $109

Refurbished ACOG, $199

Federal .22LR 40gr HP, 2K in ammo can, $89

Good thing I bought when it was cheap.

• Like 2

These threads are fucking depressing! We all know stuff was cheaper and we should have bought more. Please stop with the torture!haha.gif

To make myself feel better, I try and convince myself that there has been inflation and it isn't so bad.

• Like 3
Yugo M67 Surplus, 1260 can in crate, $99

actually that was expensive, when you factor in shipping cost.

I picked up a couple of crates for 70-some bucks OTD at a gunshow. that ammo was on stripper clips, the 1260 cans weren't on stripper clips. price was comparable to what WOLF ammo that was going for at the shows, 60-some bucks

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Yup, when I got into this hobby, a 20 rnd box of Wolf 7.62x39 was $2.50. It was considered low-grade ammo at the time, by some. Now, any shootable ammo is good ammo.

It's funny how we perceive what has "value" based on current economic and political conditions.

I remember when I bought my first AK an ar15 I could buy 200 rounds of wolf each for a mear 30 bucks. I'd buy for a few weeks till I had about 1000 and go shoot the he'll out of both of them.

When I first got into shooting, 5K of Chicom surplus was $75 plus the ride from the old Centerfire paper catalog. I still have some of that stuff somewhere,. UMC was $3.99 per 20 at Hell-wart. My first SKS was $50 plus tax, and first AK was $99 plus tax. Then came Klinton.

Years ain't got shit to do with it. Politics does.

Those prices were pretty much the same up until Obama was elected, and "guns" started to slowly escalate in the mumblings of the feds.

I still can't believe that I picked up a Yugo 59/66 SKS for $99 in 2005. Wish I bought ten. I remember looking at COMPLETE Romy-G kits for about $50, and thinking that it was some sort of joke. Had no idea what I was even looking at. Again, wish I bought ten or more.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

I remember when I was a kid we had to walk to school two miles and then walk back. It was up hill both ways and it was always snowing or sleeting. err that was my dads story.

I bought a 1974 GMC 1/2 ton pickup new for $2810 tax included wages were less then.

I don't let prices bother me it is what it is.

This goes to show us Americans have been living way beyond our means for a long time, welcome to reality.

This ammo and guns is just the beginning. Everything essential to life as we once knew it will soon follow.

Food, water, clothing, medicine, hygiene products. Get Ready, all it is gonna take is some sort of mass catastrophe and

you wont be able to get diddly, and if you can it will cost like you never knew. Stock up on everything NOW while you can.

I remember when I was a kid we had to walk to school two miles and then walk back. It was up hill both ways and it was always snowing or sleeting. err that was my dads story.

I bought a 1974 GMC 1/2 ton pickup new for $2810 tax included wages were less then.

I think Dad paid $4600 for our '74 GMC 4x4... He DID pimp it out with options though! I used to have a scan of the receipt, but of course, now I can't find it!!! :)

I think Dad paid $4600 for our '74 GMC 4x4... He DID pimp it out with options though! I used to have a scan of the receipt, but of course, now I can't find it!!! smile.png

Yep. In '78 I bought a leftover '77 Mustang II for $3495. Now, a mustang is what, $34,000?

I think Dad paid $4600 for our '74 GMC 4x4... He DID pimp it out with options though! I used to have a scan of the receipt, but of course, now I can't find it!!! smile.png

Yep. In '78 I bought a leftover '77 Mustang II for $3495. Now, a mustang is what, $34,000?

Only if you want a V6 sissy-mobile (that would crush my V8 car, stock-vs-stock).... A well optioned GT is closer to $40k...

My '91 GT, in 2006, was $3650, unmolested, bone stock, and never rusty. ;)

To paraphrase the most interesting man in the world, "I don't always invest in American V8 sports cars, but when I do, I prefer to invest wisely... Stay angry my friends!!!!"

Yep, my dad has bragged numerous times about his four year-old '64 Falcon Sprint that he was able to buy on a college student's salary for just barely over a grand.

Inflation's a bitch too, but that's not why guns and ammo cost so damn much now.