Pistola For Carry 40? 9mm? DAO? SA/DA?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Definition of irony? Say that, and then proceed to write a full page of recommendations.

I've carried about 15 different pistols from mouse guns lcp, lc9, Sig P238, sub compact G29, G33, G36, J frame revolvers S&W 351 PD, numerous full sized guns including many Glocks, HK 45, FNP-45,

This is actually my and my wifes CCW. The SR9c is an excellent handgun. I've taken mine through a few courses already and it has proven to be extremely reliable. The Glock guys hate it because it s

Posted Images

My first carry choice was .40. I still prefer it over 9mm. I like to shoot/carry 165gr. Although in today's market, I would like to shoot any grain. Of coarse every one is going to have unique opinions. I'm sure any gun suggested here is great. I generally dislike Glock-like triggers.

When I was last in the market for a carry gun, I wanted something pocket size. I considered the .40 Shield and the Nano, the XDS was not available yet. The Kahr was another possible option but I got cheap. It had to be something that had the lowest chance of the grip sticking out of my pocket. Small revolvers fit but print badly. I ended up with a .380. I chose the S&W Bodyguard because the sights were generally better than the competition, is true DA, and doesn't have a mag release safety. Don't care for the laser. Pretty much just use that as a dog toy. Although a guy at the range lane next to me tore the center of his target out with it. The trigger pull is horrendously long but I think Smith is the leader in heavy but clean trigger pulls. Trigger is easy to stage if you need to shoot accurately.

There is no true answer to the caliber debate. Only preference. I know .380 is an effective man stopper if shot well. I have heard stories of a single .25Auto killing a man and I have seen x-rays of two .40 HP rounds right over the heart, stopped by the sternum because they expanded too much and slowed down.

I used to be a die hard 1911 guy and carried a Combat Commander for many years. Don't get me wrong, I love my 1911s but for a CCW gun, I don't want to have to fiddle with "features" to get it to go bang in a high stress shoot situation. I shot Berretta M9s a ton on Military and Civilian ranges for many years because that is what we were issued. As the weapon was hot but decocked when holstered, it really wasn't an issue to draw and put rounds on target quickly due to nothing needed disengagement to fire. I just hated their triggers. I got into Glocks and am convinced they are the carry gun for me. Lots of ways to tweak them without making them a Prosecuter's Wet Dream. Many get into the caliber argument. 9mm will kill a human just as a .45 will. I usually carry a G19 but sometimes a G23. After seeing stats on high stress shootouts and how many rounds get exchanged if the agressor shoots as well, I like to have more rounds at my disposal. Many are suggesting smaller framed pistols with lower capacities because of concealment concerns. I live in Florida so I wear t-shirts 99% of the time. In my Supertuck holster, I can conceal a G19 with a 15 round mag no problem plus a 17 rounder in my back pocket for a reload. I think the best advice is to one, find one you can shoot effectively. Frame sizes, triggers, etc. are all personal preference IMO. Second, check it out with numerous holsters. You can go to a good shop that has a good inventory to do this.

• Like 1
Again, too many thanks are warranted in this thread to get around to all of them so thanks to each and every person who's posted here. I have read each post carefully and there have been some important points and great information shared.

Since the OP I've done some reading about what I had heard in the past about Glocks being "unsafe" in the minds of some people. The conclusion I've come to is that it's not that they are unsafe it's that there is less idiot proofing with a Glock than other configurations (Or, you could say fewer external safety features). Glocks have less room to be mishandled and you have to have to be disciplined about keeping your finger OFF the trigger until you're on target and ready to fire.

Your finger should always be off the trigger until you Identify your target. This is how people shoot themselves in the foot when drawing ha ha. There are a lot of Glock's out there and they are only safe if you make it safe. You are responsible for gun safety not the gun.

You can do it with any pistol carried hot without a safety to disengage. Keep your booger hook out of the triggerguard until you are on target.

Edited by MT Predator

Ok all this concealed carry stuff is good but I just gotta say that RobRez has the best avatar I have seen so far on S12 forum. Sure there are some that are more graphic, some that are more intimidating, some that have titties and what not, etc.

But come on... that is good stuff right there! He took the time to prepare hotdogs and write with the mustard and what not.

I actually laughed out loud when I noticed it :)

Thank you sire checkered_flag.gif

I've got both the lc9 and pf9 and the keltec Doesn't have a stupid mag safety.

Also I had so OLD lead bullet handload of unshoitable to crappy quality. The pf9 cycled them all the ruger had many problems with them. Maybe the ruger is tighter.

The Ruger LC9 is a good gun, and a buddy of mine bought one about the same time I bought my PF9. I did not like the mag safety or the chamber indicator. I wear the PF9 in a slide holster attached to one of the straps on my BP vest. Basically it sits behind my left shirt pocket. I never notice it there, and am very happy with it. However, the Ruger is a good weapon, but has some features that some may like, and some may not. If I were looking for a good CC gun, I would try both and see which one I was most comfortable and accurate shooting with. Both will conceal about the same, and the price point is not that big of a difference.

Edited by Semper299
Anybody have any experience with the Para-Ordinance "Hawgs"? 1911 style sub compact seems to compare with the SIG P938.

attachicon.gifpix559068758.jpg

I wish I had bought one of these over the 238, you can work on these, the trigger on the 238 was a bitch to get right.

and these feel a million times better, a cop friend has one as an ankle gun, we shoot the hell of out of it. My 238 sits as a house gun stashed and doesn't come out to play as much.

Anybody have any experience with the Para-Ordinance "Hawgs"? 1911 style sub compact seems to compare with the SIG P938.

Looked at them plus the Colt Agents and baby Kimbers because I do like 1911s. I still get hung up on not having enough rounds and even my fullsize 1911s don't do it for me anymore. If you end up in a no shit gunfight, you will wonder where in the hell all your ammo went after you squeezed a bunch off.

• Like 1

Time to toss my $0.02 at it...

Ruger LC9 w/extra mag on the opposite hip in the hot months, G21 in the cold...

9mm (+P if at all possible) is the minimum round I will consider for personal protection. 45acp is the preferred...

edit: OH OH!!! And any S&W .357 wheel gun!!! .357 is not to be played with!!

Edited by Maxwelhse

Looked at them plus the Colt Agents and baby Kimbers because I do like 1911s. I still get hung up on not having enough rounds and even my fullsize 1911s don't do it for me anymore. If you end up in a no shit gunfight, you will wonder where in the hell all your ammo went after you squeezed a bunch off.

As much as I do like the 1911, it just doesnt do it for me. I have taken a stong liking to Glocks over the years. No safety to fuck with, accurate and offers a great capacity with a minimal chance of getting hung up on clothing.

But with this said, there are many great pistols out there. My preference will not be the same as many others. Thats the beauty of having options.

I was told to stay away from the HAWG.

Personally I shoot the .45 better than the .40 but that's maybe because I haven't trained enough.

I personally carry a G27 and have a G22 RMR'd. I really liked my G21 & SA 1911 Ultra Compact. I wish I still had my Nighthawk GRP 1911. But that's another story. My Beretta 96A1 is pretty sweet it's DA or SA. Then you have the DA/SA HK USP which is a very good pistol.

My Sig P228 was ok, it was DA,SA. In a high stress situation I just want to rack the slide and pull the trigger.

Edited by MfWiC