I quit watching after Earnhardt Sr. died. I watched that race and just couldn't believe it happened and watching was just never the same after that.

Same here, jst aint the same.

• Like 2

I used to be a fan when real men drove. Men like Cale Yarborough, Richard Petty, David Pearson, Buddy Baker, etc. Now just a bunch of whiny pussies chase each other in circles for 4 hours. Who cares?

I became a F1 fan years ago and haven't looked back since....checkered_flag.gif

• Like 5

I don't think it's the drivers that turn me off, it's the cars.

The S is Stock. As in, from a factory. Sold to the people. A normal car, with a big engine.

You cannot buy a production car with a carbureted, pushrod V8. You usually can't buy

a rear wheel drive car.

I work for a foreign car maker, and if you want to know where the big 3 lost their edge,

it was not capturing the hearts of the American people with a car that embodied the

American Dream. Sure, non skilled unions, like the UAW, and bad management, and

focus on profits not longevity caused the quality to die and the foreign brands

to take market share like it was offered on a giant silver platter (cause it was), but

it was the death of the soul of the car in the mid 70s that started it all.

What this country needs is real stock car racing. You can upgrade the safety devices,

but that's it. We'd see real racing, real winners, and we'd have real awesome cars on the

road these days.

• Like 5

Let's bring back N class rally. That is basically the idea that NASCAR got started on.

• Each car has to be produced in real mass quantities.
  • This means that the car that wins the will actually be available in the dealer unlike supposed WRC edition WRXs etc. It will be the exact same car. This means they will sell cars that are more fun if they want to win the series. It also means they will be durable enough to survive rough driving. In europe, this meant factory cars came with stutterboxes and turbo exhaust waste gates and so forth. sometimes you have to put in a jumper and void the warranty to make them work at 100%, but the parts are there when you roll off the lot.
  • It can't be modified beyond changing out things like brake pads and tires.
  • They do require the addition of things like roll cages, but no performance improvements.
  • That means stock engine,suspension, all the seats still in the car. even the stereo and A/C. They are racing real stock cars, not tube framed one-off's with stickers for headlights that say the names of prodction cars on the body.
  • Cars are driving at crazy speeds on and off road.
  • If you can afford 3 cars or so, you can start a team. If you have the skills, you can compete with the world champion. Millions of dollars of sponsorship can only give the edge of a better support staff and more practice time.
  • If you do OK in the early part of the season, you will probably be able to get the sponsorship to step up your game. It doesn't take that much.
  • An event could be staged anywhere with a mile or two of road or trail that can be closed off. You don't need some multi billion dollar paved track to have a race. More races near you. More variety. If you have a spare car, you can go race and lose and have a blast.

To me that is cooler than all the race circuits around. Cooler than F1 cooler than Lemans, cooler than GT, cooler than Indy, kart and NASCAR. And everything is more interesting than drag racing so I guess NASCAR has that going for it.

Nascar driving may require immense skill and experience, but outside the car it couldn't look more boring. That's what amazes me. How can you be going that fast with that much danger and make it monotonous? It takes effort to homogenize a race series into blandness.

• Like 4

GunFun,

Reminds me of the good old days of Solo Autocross rallys I used to attend back in the late 80's. You could pretty much race anything, provided it passed tech inspection. If you did and you had a helmet, you were cleared to run. If you didn't, you watched. Back when I had my Datsun Z car, I ran C class Stock. It was a blast. Had I stayed in the area I would have gotten the Dunlop sponsorship, which was 2 sets of tires. But I had to move and one of my friends got it. But it was a lot of fun being able to compete with cars configured roughly the same as yours. Generally, those of us in the A, B or C Stock classes have a prayer against any of the mod's or the D & E Stock, but occasionally an original Mini or MR-2 would damn close.

• Like 1
How much do you think the NRA paid to not even be mentioned as the sponsor? Fox even changed the header to "Texas 500"

Yeah, whomever is in charge of PR for the NRA should be furious! Of course, if they complain the Liberals will just cry "sour grapes" and shit.

They didn't even have the traditional firing of the six-shooters by the winner. ATI had sponsored a car and they made a special effort to not show it on camera. "Nascar will in the future screen their sponsors more carefully." What! They apparently never heard of the NRA.

• Like 1

I, too, haven't watched NASCAR since The Intimidator ran his final lap. I tried to the next year, but the new safety gear.......they pussified the "sport".

If I was preezy of the NRA, both FOX and NASCAR would get all the publicity they didn't want.

• Like 1
How much do you think the NRA paid to not even be mentioned as the sponsor? Fox even changed the header to "Texas 500"

Come to think of it, this might come down to Nascar vs. Fox. I don't know how the contracts are set up, but I'd bet that Nascar, as the sanctioning body, can't be happy about a primary sponsor getting blacked-out by the broadcaster!

Nascar was upset about the NRA sponsership as that was done long before any of this. Its their fault and Foxes.

Only reason I ever watched nascar was for the crashes. Haven't seen one in years. I think the last one I watched was when they were doing the new car of tommorrow race, showcasing the new cars to be driven, which were never ran afterwords for some reason they went back to the old rear spoiler.

Me I like Dirt Track, and NHRA(love going in person and much cheaper for a weekend getaway, plus I have a track within 2hrs of me.).

Watching racing is like watching someone eat a steak, pointless, participation is the only thrill.

I hear the same applies to golf, shooting, and sex but that last may be debated depending on the participants and the course.

• Like 1

Watching racing is like watching someone eat a steak, pointless, participation is the only thrill.

I hear the same applies to golf, shooting, and sex but that last may be debated depending on the participants and the course.

I love Auto-X

but I will tell you now, just talking about cars and guns makes my heart rate go up, I get genuine excitement, maybe thinking about shooting the gun or driving that car does it, like my imagination. I guess I'm weird?

• Like 1

I agree with with what you guys are saying about Nascar but F1 has gone down a slippery slope as well, F1 wasnt what it used to be IMO they need to make the cars more manual like back in the day there are too many driver aids and really dosnt allow for the truly talented drivers to shine.

It was exciting to watch a good driver in a shitty team and a shitty car actually win but the way it is today that simply just dosnt happen.

tumblr_m0zwakPfOm1qfsdvfo1_1280.jpg

R.I.P. Senna

This man was a legend and when he raced there was true excitement in the crowd i wish racing would go back to those days

I love Auto-X

but I will tell you now, just talking about cars and guns makes my heart rate go up, I get genuine excitement, maybe thinking about shooting the gun or driving that car does it, like my imagination. I guess I'm weird?

Nope makes sense to me but then I aint real popular lol

Best times I ever had was taking the cuda to the race what ya brung drag strip.

Watching it ... meh guess its better than kick in the head.

Cant wait for the Summer's Eve 500 ....

• Like 1